Reality Check - Wages | Page 2 | Vital Football

Reality Check - Wages

Well. For me, the way Deano has framed the thread, fans need to re adjust their expectations and accept 17th.

The manager and Purslow have said their ambitions are higher than that.

So are the fans wrong?

Realism fed to fans would go down well in my humble as long as fans can see what the ultimate aim is.

So agree Villan57.

Some fans are wrong, definitely. To accept 17th as "realistic" is crazy. We all probably hope that 17th is the minimum, otherwise we're back in the Championship. But that's something different.

At the moment we've no strong indication where we'll end up, so expectations have to be vague. So why pin them on what we hope is the minimum? So far we haven't looked like being outclassed. We almost certainly will improve.

Confidence is a big thing in football. Confidence and ambition go hand in hand. The players know they have a challenge; they don't need being told that if we scrape 17th it will be all right.

I'm answering the thread gm. Fans don't need to be more realistic. Fans are always blamed. That red pepper whatever guy who does the film voice overs was digging at fans on twitter the other day and sycophants were agreeing with him.

Not sure I can be bothered to look it up at the moment.

I'm just not having it that fans, fed a vision, are then in the wrong when they buy that vision.

Not rocket science is it? Fans pay good money to support their teams and are always the first to be blamed.

I haven't got the confidence yet to say where I think we will be. The club might need to be more realistic. The fans might need to be. No idea as I've not seen enough yet to make me think we'll be good enough to hold our own and push on. But I'll be happy with survival, those at the top from what they say expect more. I'd have expected another striker and a bit more prem experience in order to have the confidence in that.

Some fans are wrong, definitely. To accept 17th as "realistic" is crazy. We all probably hope that 17th is the minimum, otherwise we're back in the Championship. But that's something different.

At the moment we've no strong indication where we'll end up, so expectations have to be vague. So why pin them on what we hope is the minimum? So far we haven't looked like being outclassed. We almost certainly will improve.

Confidence is a big thing in football. Confidence and ambition go hand in hand. The players know they have a challenge; they don't need being told that if we scrape 17th it will be all right.

Why is accepting 17th crazy. Given what happens to promoted teams why should we be exempt from the harsh realities of life in the Premier League.
2011-12 is the only season that all three promoted teams have stayed up.
The fact is that as it stands, albeit with a chance to win this afternoon we are 18th.
I reiterate I am on record on here on at least three occasions saying that I think we will stay up, but I cant see that accepting 17th as realistic is crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our wage bill is higher than that. We also have a small squad. Our second choice players in most positions will still only be on about 5k a week. The likes of Hause, Davis etc.

Our wage bill is higher than that. We also have a small squad. Our second choice players in most positions will still only be on about 5k a week. The likes of Hause, Davis etc.
My point is our starting XI salary would fit somewhere around mid table.

My point is our starting XI salary would fit somewhere around mid table.

Probably right. But you have to factor in unknowns, such as "gel" time, players exceeding or disappointing expectations, all the things associated with a lot of new players. However, as things settle down, mid-table based on wages is probably a good indication.

I refer you back to Purslow interview with Sky where, paraphrasing, he suggested that the model of buying young with potential meant that the wage bill could be managed.

I don't subscribe to the premise that you get what you pay for - see Flabby & McGateface for details, their level of remuneration did not guarantee performance and you can see that across the league for all teams. Spurs have historically been poor payers and possibly over achieved on that basis.

Money is not the motivator, but just one of a series of influencers for satisfaction. The majority of sportsmen are motivated by winning, the financial rewards come with success, these are the players we need and "the type" that our background checks should be identifying.