Preston v Swans | Vital Football

Preston v Swans

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Next up Preston away. They are on 46 points in 7th position in the table, we are on 45 points in 8th position.
In this topsy turvy division where any one team can beat the other, no matter their position in the table, match outcomes are hard to predict.

The corresponding fixture on 17/8/19 saw us win 3-2 at the Liberty in a see-saw match where they took the lead on 11’, but Baston equalised on 45’+4’.
Byers scored on 63’, they equalised with a 67’ penalty conceded by Roberts. Baston wrapped the win with a 69’ header and his second goal of the match.
Team that day:
Woodman, Roberts, Hoorn, Rodon, Bidwell, Fulton, Grimes, Dyer (Ayew 22’),
Celina, Kalulu (Byers 45’), Baston (Surridge 81’)

Steve Cooper:
“It was a good win, and we have to be happy with the three points, but we made tough work of it, there is no doubt about that.
First half, and the players know this, we were not at the level we strive to be at. We did not rant and rave at half-time - those days are gone - we talked about how we could improve and we did.
Borja has got a knack of getting in the right spot to score goals. We saw parts of Borja at his best today, and that is being in the box scoring goals. Let's hope it continues."
Alex Neil:
"I don't think there's any question we should have been further in front at the end of the first half.
We had three or four golden opportunities that we didn't take, but at this level you are never going to dominate away from home for 90 minutes.
The simple fact is that football is about having resilience and coming up against setbacks.
We shouldn't have been level at half-time but we were, at the end of the day we gave the ball away and got punished. We have to look at the positives but realise we contributed to the negatives as well and we have to deal with that."

Form guide:

Preston last 6 games WWDLLD = 8 points. Form Table 11th.
21/1 Barnsley 0 - Preston 3
18/1 Preston 2 - Charlton 1
11/1 Blackburn 1 - Preston 1
1/1 Preston 0 - M’boro 2
29/12 Preston 0 - Reading 2
26/12 Leeds 1 - Preston 1

Swans last 6 games LWDWDL = 8 points. Form Table 14th
25/1 Stoke 2 - Swans 0
18/1 Swans 2 - Wigan 1
12/1 Cardiff 0 - Swans 0
2/1 Swans 1 - Charlton 0
29/12 Swans 0 - Barnsley 0
26/12 Brentford 3 - Swans 1

Last edited:
Huge game today but one I don't see us getting anything out of at all. Not being negative but Stoke performance gives me no confidence whatsoever. We can't create enough and Preston don't struggle at home, best in the league I think and I've a horrible feeling well help their playoff push, prove me wrong swans!

Here’s today’s line up:

Preston: Declan Rudd, Darnell Fisher, Ben Pearson, Ben Davies, Alan Browne (captain), Daniel Johnson, Joe Rafferty, Patrick Bauer, Tom Barkhuizen, Josh Harrop, Scott Sinclair.
Substitutes: Connor Ripley, Tom Clarke, Ryan Ledson, Brad Potts, David Nugent, Jayden Stockley, Sean Maguire.

Swans: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Marc Guehi, Joe Rodon, Jake Bidwell; Matt Grimes (captain), George Byers, Conor Gallagher; Andre Ayew, Rhian Brewster, Bersant Celina.
Substitutes: Erwin Mulder, Ben Wilmot, Ben Cabango, Jay Fulton, Yan Dhanda, Wayne Routledge, Liam Cullen.

New signing and ex- Swan Scott Sinclair lines up for Preston (here we go again).
Swans make two changes from the Stoke match, Naughton back for the injured Roberts, and Cabango makes way for Rodon. U-23’s Liam Cullen on the subs bench after putting four past Everton recently.

Last edited:
Well that was guaranteed, 28’ ex-Swan Scott Sinclair scores the opening goal, Preston 1 - Swansea 0.
What is it with us that we always give ex-players a goal, fed up of it.

FT Preston 1 - Swans 1

First half stats -
Possession: 47% - 53%
Shots: 2 - 8
On target: 1 - 3
Corners: 0 - 3
Fouls: 9 - 8

Whole match stats -
Possession: 55% - 45%
Shots: 10 - 11
On target: 2 - 3
Corners: 3 - 3
Fouls: 15 - 15
Cards: 1Y - 3Y
Ref: Geoff Eltringham
Att: 12,502

A well earned point in the end to the team with the best home record in the Championship this season. Our only problem with these two away matches was dropping the 3 points at Stoke last week to a relegation threatened side. Friday night Stoke lost 4-0 at Derby, our next opponents at the Liberty.
Allen and Clucas probably dormant again until the next time we meet.