'Pool v Cambridge Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

'Pool v Cambridge Match Thread

No Shitburn and we win shocker! I was seriously thinking of doing something I've not done before and bet on us to win when I saw the line-up. Mind you Critchley did his best in putting us under incredible pressure with his substitutions. Lavery is way out of his depth, Gabriel offered nowt, Joseph did his headless chicken bit constantly getting a foot in without winning anything.

Carey should have been given man of the match, he was good value for it too especially with that goal. I thought the back 3 all did well, Marv given sponsor's MoM was a bit generous. CJ started off OK then 2nd half decided not to attempt going past his man any more??? I wonder if he got a kick and went missing or it was Critchley's orders? Maybe their full back started to block his runs? Coulson was brilliant for me. Would have been man of the match but for Carey's goal. Byers did the dirty, unnoticed stuff that you notice Norburn doesn't do, very solid against a big physical, energetic side.

We huffed and puffed our way to that in the end didn't we? Less than convincing against a poor Cambridge side it has to be said. Started brightly and a positive line-up for a change too. We just couldn't put the end product through but it wasn't for a lack of trying. Seemed to lose pace and faith in the second half and rubbish substitutions again from KoKo No2.

Couple of standouts; Carey and Coulson for me.

Hamilton is seriously shoite.

The tactical genius' take on the proceedings "In the second half, we deteriorated and got worse."

The bloke is so one dimensional in his thought processes. Never might he consider there is a pattern that is widely acknowledged amongst the tortured faithful that 'we only ever play well in one half.' First half I quite enjoyed, I thought we were the better team, it was never a classic, the biting wind was blowing, but I thought we could grab a second and go on to win comfortably. Critchley probably did too.

Critical analysis (2 words Critchley obviously doesn't know) shows second half on 46 minutes they took off their 6' 3" 34 year old veteran centre half off and brought on a 23 year old 6' 5" more mobile and physical centre half on. Critchley then takes off our 6' 3" striker off (Beesley) who is coping OK with him and replaces him with our 5' 7" inch striker (Lavery) and gives orders to hit it long to him. They start to get into the game more so on 70 he takes off our most creative player (Coulson) and our other physical striker off (Kouassi), swaps CJ to the other side who is battered off every ball as is Joseph. On 87 he eventually takes off our 5' 5" centre midfielder off who has been getting kicked for an hour and a half by 6' 1" and 6' 2" opposition players.

Post match though it was the players fault and nothing to do with another manager being able to change tactics and personnel to effect positive change and nullify and counter threats. Thrown under the bus on the pitch and thrown under the bus in the post match presser! 🤡 The entire coaching team is an anachronism of time times gone by.

Last edited:
It'll be very windy but sunny and warm 15-17C according to NW 2night
That was as cold as I've been at any match this season. For the last 30 minutes I was rubbing my legs trying to get my circulation going. A bit of excitement on the pitch might have helped! 🤣

I thiught that they had scored. Looked a mile over the line to me. Missed that sitter that hit the pist too.
Fully agree first half good, second poor.

Small stat snippet for our infirmation:

With Norburn 1.59 points per game

Without him 1.3 ppg.

Another snippet: Biggest away win Pompey 0 Pool 4, biggest home win Pool 4 Shrews 0 both with Norburn out of the team! Yesterday only the 2nd goal in 6 games and first win in 4 with NO Shitburn! Stats eh?

Given Norburn has played more than 3 times as many games as he has missed one cannot draw firm conclusions. I hope we see a different Norburn next season.