The Politics Thread | Page 247 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

I genuinely think the man is evil.

Even if he’s right in some respects that there political intent behind it, which given it’s a strong labour area is probably right, at least rise above it and do what any normal MP does, show some false compassion, reference something you did last decade (which he did do) and make a promise that you’ll renege on. Don’t go to battle on the politics, there’s politics for a reason

Labour need to get the Scots onside, they’ll naturally get some random seats they lost now Brexit is done, and the discontent with Bozo.

The problem is to do that, you probably have to offer them an independence referendum unless there’s a tactic I’m missing. It’s a shame Scots can’t accept the once in a generation vote and think about the hear and now of getting rid of Boris for the greater good and putting independence on the back burner. Economical, COVID, Brexit and independence is crazy for Scotland and irrational though to be fair I get the feeling a lot of Scots recognise that.

If I was Starmer I would be pounding th Scottish streets over the years to come, I can see why they feel forgotten and frustrated. I see a lot of midlanders resent the London centric country we live in but have a “fuck Scotland” attitude, so they’re even less focussed on than the midlands.

I’m not even a Labour voter typically but anything to get rid of these Tories who are too comfortable.

Last edited:
Labour need to get the Scots onside, they’ll naturally get some random seats they lost now Brexit is done, and the discontent with Bozo.

The problem is to do that, you probably have to offer them an independence referendum unless there’s a tactic I’m missing. It’s a shame Scots can’t accept the once in a generation vote and think about the hear and now of getting rid of Boris for the greater good and putting independence on the back burner. Economical, COVID, Brexit and independence is crazy for Scotland and irrational though to be fair I get the feeling a lot of Scots recognise that.

If I was Starmer I would be pounding th Scottish streets over the years to come, I can see why they feel forgotten and frustrated. I see a lot of midlanders resent the London centric country we live in but have a “fuck Scotland” attitude, so their even less focussed on than the midlands.

I’m not even a Labour voter typically but anything to get rid of these Tories who are too comfortable.

I think the Scottish Independence genie is out of the bottle. The Tories "performance" in office has strengthened that. I can't see that Labour can do anything now to win back support in Scotland while they are out of office and they will need SNP support to get back into office.

I would guess if Northern and Southern England had historically been different countries, Northern England would be all about independence these days too.

The rest of Britain has been left with the crumbs from London's plate for a very long time and the insiders expect those who have been left to fight for the crumbs to be grateful.

I think the Scottish Independence genie is out of the bottle. The Tories "performance" in office has strengthened that. I can't see that Labour can do anything now to win back support in Scotland while they are out of office and they will need SNP support to get back into office.

Labour need to come out now and categorically state they will not give Scots a 2nd referendum. The line is drawn in the sand, let Scots get angry about that over the next year at both parties but then it’s accepted (for now) in the run up until the next election.

Scots needs to decide whether they want a noisy party at Westminster in the SNP or whether they want the Tories out because they f’king hate the Tories up there.

I guess they’re clinging onto a coalition hope, and there’s a risk they get that with Labour, so for me labour need to play the psychological game.

Either that or Labour take the risk and give them a second referendum... I don’t believe they’ll turn the vote as it stands right now, but maybe the resentment of Covid and brexit will kick in. I’d vote for it if I was Scottish out of pure emotion.

Labour need to come out now and categorically state they will not give Scots a 2nd referendum. The line is drawn in the sand, let Scots get angry about that over the next year at both parties but then it’s accepted (for now) in the run up until the next election.

Scots needs to decide whether they want a noisy party at Westminster in the SNP or whether they want the Tories out because they f’king hate the Tories up there.

I guess they’re clinging onto a coalition hope, and there’s a risk they get that with Labour, so for me labour need to play the psychological game.

Either that or Labour take the risk and give them a second referendum... I don’t believe they’ll turn the vote as it stands right now, but maybe the resentment of Covid and brexit will kick in. I’d vote for it if I was Scottish out of pure emotion.

I can't imagine the SNP will support a Labour government which is against a second referendum.

It's perfectly possible that the Tories kick out Boris and get someone competent in. Perhaps they will be able to make a good go of things by the time the election rolls around?

I would guess that there will be some economic recovery by Q3 next year and once Covid is gone and Boris has been dumped, the Tories can rebrand themselves as the party of prosperity.

I can't imagine the SNP will support a Labour government which is against a second referendum.

It's perfectly possible that the Tories kick out Boris and get someone competent in. Perhaps they will be able to make a good go of things by the time the election rolls around?

I would guess that there will be some economic recovery by Q3 next year and once Covid is gone and Boris has been dumped, the Tories can rebrand themselves as the party of prosperity.

They’ll need to rebrand as “New Conservative” or something, the descendants of typical Tory voters such as me, won’t be voting for them as they are because they have taken decisions against my values and views. They are seen as incompetent and in it for themselves, something I never previously saw, but it’s plainly obvious with their disaster capitalism beliefs.
I want a good Labour stint purely because I don’t think too much of one party is a good thing. As much as I like Starmer, I’ve no doubt Labour will go too far the other way at the end of it over the decade if they get in as Starmer moves on but the Tories are taking it for granted.

As for Boris, I think it was Pangloss who said he’ll be gone by the end of the year and I agree - Brexit is done, he got it done. The only thing Tories are more worried about than not getting brexit done is a Labour government especially with McDonnell looking to tax their second properties to high heaven in the last election.

Thats what Starmer needs to control though, is any policies or bad PR which impact middle England.