Players who never score | Vital Football

Players who never score

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
...or hardly ever. Three players look like they have completed their Millers careers without scoring - S. MacDonald, Jozefzoon, Hirst. Jozefzoon had previously scored a league goal back in 2018/19, S. MacDonald way back in 2016/17. They won't be with us next season, but we still have Ogbene (one Millers career goal) and Sadlier (one penalty).

I'm not expecting the defenders to score a lot, but we were supposed to be "good on set-pieces" according to Radio Sheffield ... Harding- no goals last season, Mattock- no goals last season, never scored more than one goal per season in his Millers career, A. MacDonald - one goal last sesaon , and previous goal scored was in 2016/17 (same season as S. MacDonald last scored!), Olosunde - none in the league, one cup goal, Ihiekwe has never scored more than two per season, Wood slightly better with usually two or three.

If you were an opposition manager, and saw all those names on the team sheet, you would probably decide to put a couple of markers on any remaining Millers players that you thought were at all dangerous, knowing that the others would be very unlikely to put the ball in the net. You might want to mark Wood at corners, I suppose. You could put more than two markers on the main striker when we played just one player up front. No wonder we kept getting "nil"!

In retrospect, all those 0-1 defeats were fairly predictable. When we recruit players, "never/hardly ever scoring" doesn't seem to be a factor that is considered... possibly because Warney, Barker and Scotty (originally) were all attacking players who rarely scored themselves! Although to be fair to them , at least they didn't break down injured after every few games. We were overloaded with non-scoring players last season, most are still on the books, and we really need to address that recruitment problem.

Even for Level 3, there are only a few (three?) of our current players who are capable of getting more than about three or four goals in the season , and they are all possible transfer targets. A couple of other players may find it a bit easier to score at Level Three (maybe Sadlier, IF ever fully fit?), and I hope that they do, but I wouldn't be confident about that. We can't continue with the same type of recruitment. We have taken three points out of the last 24 - no idea how many we will get out of the next 24. if it's only three again, it will be goodbye to Warney.

Last edited:
A few years ago we had players from all over the park who were guaranteed to pop a few in over the season but I agree Mike, it has been a while since that happened. I really feel, especially in the Championship, you need a 'fox in the box' type of player.

A while ago I mused 'all our management team were forwards so why aren't our forwards scoring more' and now you've told me.

On the other hand, looking at the chances we had in the last couple of seasons, we are getting in the box but just not finding the net.

Three points out of twenty-four is not good, not good at all.