Good Morning Thread | Page 307 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Keep her going Pompey , well done .
The vans are exorbitant, the price they want. !

Could go old school. I rented a Talbot Express in the late 80s. 2 ltr peugeot petrol engine. The thing flew like the wind. 90 mph easy. They converted a lot into campers into the 90s I think. I drove a Diesel and it was slow in comparison. You can still find them at reasonable money. Nice to drive, incredible brakes, decent gearbox.

So, 2000klms away in the state of Victoria, there has been a total lockdown of 5 million people since late May. 4 days into that very strict lockdown, a selfish couple decided to get out of Victoria, illegally disregarding all the rules and travelled north into Queensland, through New South Wales. Now, Queensland is probably the most Covid safe place in Australia, and possibly the world. Upon arriving at our beautiful Sunshine Coast, the woman has tested positive. The contact tracing has seen her at many local coffee clubs, shopping centers, McDonalds etc etc.

The Govt are reluctant to name these selfish F**ks, for fear of vilification via social media. FFS! These idiots could plunge Queensland into a lockdown costing billions and sending many businesses to the wall....like my wife's business. They are currently in hospital under guard. The max penalty is a $4000 on the spot fine and then a $13,000 fine or 6 months prison. I really hope the courts throw the book at these disgusting grubs.

The saving grace is that her husband has not tested positive, despite being in the car with her during the 5 day road trip, meaning she may not be a shedder, or the strain may be weak. Fingers crossed.

Coldest day of the year yesterday in Brisbane and a very cold start to a beautiful blue winters day. 8 degrees driving to work at 6:45am with a top of 22 deg. I just love this time of year as we enjoy cool clear blue days and relief from the relentless heat.

Just realized my 2nd vaccination is due 21st June and my operation is 18th June. Hope I'm out of hospital and able to get my 2nd Jab in time.

Get your arms oot everyone and lets get vaxed.

Take care and be kind to each other..

My first wage packet for a full time job at 16 was 19 quid in 1976. My Mum took 12 of it. I went into the managers office and told him I was looking for another job because 7 quid don't pay for a motorbike, clothes, records etc.

He doubled my wages to £ 38 but I didn't tell my Mum !!

And so the deals began. Nice work Nick.:scoot:

Good for your wife Pompey , , that’s is a massive achievement on her behalf .
Keep up the encouragement but don’t let her overdo it , but you would know that . Well done to you both .
Im really pleased for you .
It must be , or could be , frightening as well , lots of different noises and things going on . Are you on a main road , ? Traffic noise is very loud when you are not used to it .
:bow::giggle:
As for the Camper Van , all I can say is , …………………bollocks !

That’s you and USAF . I’m well jealous .

We would both absolutely love one , and have looked at them many times but they are simply way out of our budget .
The price of them has also gone up alarmingly since the various lockdowns .
We should have got one when I was working , when we first started looking .
Our plan was to tour Europe , working our way along the Mediterranean Coast every summer. For about three months at a time .

But just like my plan to follow the England Cricket Team on their tour of Australia , life just got in the way .
My wife’s sister and her husband have a camper van , they are out and about every weekend , Friday and Saturday Night in the van .
Lovely Jubbly .
When that old van is rocking , just don’t come a knocking !
Amazing…… go for it ,

Good luck to you mate .

Campervan Versus Caravan.

Mrs Hoddle and I are panning on a tour around this massive country in approx 8 years. I've always had the train of thought that we do this is a very nice car or SUV. I'm thinking a Porsche Cayenne Diesel, towing the jetski or small boat, and just stay in hotels as we go. Then we discussed a campervan. Even a 4-6 berth is pretty cramped for the 1-2 years that the trip may take, then you have the issue of parking the monster at pubs, shopping centers and places of interest etc. The fuel bill would be horrendous (approx $300 per day), and we'd be restricted on what roads we can explore.

Then you have a caravan. I'd need a 22 footer dual axel at least, fully air cond, with all the mod cons. Brand new they are around $130,000, and you'd need another $130,000 for something decent to tow it with. However.... the idea is to find a caravan that is 12 months old, done its trip and the couple want to move it on. I've seen them going for about $80- $90k. or $50k less than new price, whilst still under warranty. You can then unhitch and go for a drive exploring areas you wouldn't want to whilst towing a house. Same with the vehicle....buy one that has depreciated and save another $50k.

Up for debate, but as you said Walt, the price of everything to do with recreation has gone through the roof due to closed international borders. Caravan and motor home prices are ridiculous. My Toyota Land Cruiser V8 twin Turbo Diesel was $131k new. They're now selling for up to $200k as the new model is not coming until 2022 and will only have a V6, but more powerful. There's a race on to snap up the last of the V8's, but the dealers have no new ones left and they've ceased manufacture. Had a mate offer us $150k for our pearl white Land Cruiser Sahara which now has a few klms on it. Crazy times!

Tried to book our annual holiday again for just after Christmas, but everything is fully booked out in FNQ. (far north Queensland). Damn covid!

Campervan Versus Caravan.

Mrs Hoddle and I are panning on a tour around this massive country in approx 8 years. I've always had the train of thought that we do this is a very nice car or SUV. I'm thinking a Porsche Cayenne Diesel, towing the jetski or small boat, and just stay in hotels as we go. Then we discussed a campervan. Even a 4-6 berth is pretty cramped for the 1-2 years that the trip may take, then you have the issue of parking the monster at pubs, shopping centers and places of interest etc. The fuel bill would be horrendous (approx $300 per day), and we'd be restricted on what roads we can explore.

Then you have a caravan. I'd need a 22 footer dual axel at least, fully air cond, with all the mod cons. Brand new they are around $130,000, and you'd need another $130,000 for something decent to tow it with. However.... the idea is to find a caravan that is 12 months old, done its trip and the couple want to move it on. I've seen them going for about $80- $90k. or $50k less than new price, whilst still under warranty. You can then unhitch and go for a drive exploring areas you wouldn't want to whilst towing a house. Same with the vehicle....buy one that has depreciated and save another $50k.

Up for debate, but as you said Walt, the price of everything to do with recreation has gone through the roof due to closed international borders. Caravan and motor home prices are ridiculous. My Toyota Land Cruiser V8 twin Turbo Diesel was $131k new. They're now selling for up to $200k as the new model is not coming until 2022 and will only have a V6, but more powerful. There's a race on to snap up the last of the V8's, but the dealers have no new ones left and they've ceased manufacture. Had a mate offer us $150k for our pearl white Land Cruiser Sahara which now has a few klms on it. Crazy times!

Tried to book our annual holiday again for just after Christmas, but everything is fully booked out in FNQ. (far north Queensland). Damn covid!

Go walkabout mate...will be cheaper but take a tad longer.......:loser:

Good morning all , little bit dull today , still, warm though.
We have family stuff going on today , mother in law , sister in law , wife’s aunt and husband all coming round to drink our stock of non alcoholic drinks , ……..none of them like ice cubes , warm tonics or cokes …….. nice .
Still …. They are bringing fish and chips for lunch , the pensioner size portions ..or ,, as they call them in the fish shop , Senior Size .

More like a dinner for a six year old . Surprised they don’t dish out bibs and wet wipes with them , as if they expect us to be dribbling onto our shirt fronts !
Still it will be nice to see them and hear all the stories they told us the last time they were here. !

Makes me laugh the way they all sit in the same seats every time . I love them to bits .

allotment is taking off , big time . Needs constant watering despite Monty Don saying it only needs watering once a week . Tell the tomatoes and runner beans that !!!!
Blackberries and raspberries perhaps but not the rest . The tomatoes probably need watering twice a day when it’s hand breezy like yesterday .
I haven’t seen a fox or a badger this year on the allotment yet , seems a bit odd . I got used to them following me around and picking up the worms I uncovered .
The land around the allotments had a lot of wildlife in it .

There are lots of plans in the pipeline about developing this land around the allotments into housing .
So far , common sense is winning and we have won the first two stages , but there is a second appeal coming up .
The problem the developers are having is getting access and egress to the land . Hampshire County Council are refusing them permission to use the new road they have just built , which was built to ease congestion on the old road !
The land belongs to Fareham , and they initially gave planning permission and said that they would have to knock down two houses which would give them access onto roads into the adjoining borough of Gosport . !!!!!
A slight problem arose then , because nobody had bothered to talk to the owners of the two houses !!!!!!!
Houses that were in a different borough and owned outright by people that had bought them because of the open aspect the fields gave them at the rear !!!

They were a bit miffed about to be honest !

The land they are talking about is on a “green belt “ and has always been placed on a “Strategic Gap” between the two boroughs to maintain the countryside feel .
It’s nice driving through a bit of countryside now and then .

There isn’t a lot of it left .

If we lose this latest appeal there will be even less of it .

At the moment there are plans to build around 700 houses on this site .
Nothing in the plans mentions Schools , Doctors , Shops , Rubbish removal ( Fareham dust carts would have around a two mile diversion to get access through housing estates in another borough)

The people living in this quiet , pretty area would suddenly have hundreds of cars and the like driving back and forward , past their doors every day . …… total madness .
Still we can’t stand in the way of progress can we .

Mind you , the farmer who owns the land isn’t happy , he will be losing out by millions as he sells his soul to the developers .
Ranting again ,

keep well , look after each other. Don’t let the buggers get you down . You could be like the home owners , who found out one day, purely by chance , that the neighbouring borough was going to knock your house down for their gain . Priceless .

Afternoon all, Mrs PY went on her trip outside the front door again this morning, still holding my hand tight, but bless her she is getting there, mind today she did rush to the loo afterwards, heavy pewk, probable because of the affect this fight with her phobia is having on her, but she said am out with you again tomorrow mush, lol! bloody good on her.

She on the other hand has decided that she is putting the wish for a Camper Van/Mobile home on the back burner for now, phew! nah! only kidding.

Walt the mass build of homes down this way, Jesus they ain't for locals, which is what we want, importing/loading up the area with non locals, and yet we still have a massive shortage/waiting list of/for locals.
Round ere up the hill, in the Ville, 3 bloody huge estates have appeared over the past years, mostly purchase with a few Council/Housing Assoc' rented in amongst them and them ones are going to imported peops from area's beyond, the trouble round here is brewing slowly but surely.

Schools, surgeries, shopping area's are stretched to fcuk.

Ah! well try and have a good rest of day all, keep smiling and be happy.

Afternoon all, Mrs PY went on her trip outside the front door again this morning, still holding my hand tight, but bless her she is getting there, mind today she did rush to the loo afterwards, heavy pewk, probable because of the affect this fight with her phobia is having on her, but she said am out with you again tomorrow mush, lol! bloody good on her.

She on the other hand has decided that she is putting the wish for a Camper Van/Mobile home on the back burner for now, phew! nah! only kidding.

Walt the mass build of homes down this way, Jesus they ain't for locals, which is what we want, importing/loading up the area with non locals, and yet we still have a massive shortage/waiting list of/for locals.
Round ere up the hill, in the Ville, 3 bloody huge estates have appeared over the past years, mostly purchase with a few Council/Housing Assoc' rented in amongst them and them ones are going to imported peops from area's beyond, the trouble round here is brewing slowly but surely.

Schools, surgeries, shopping area's are stretched to fcuk.

Ah! well try and have a good rest of day all, keep smiling and be happy.
There were some beautiful bungalows that had to be demolished for those new estates I no your area Pompey . Absolute tragedy they were bulldozed . One of my mates owned one , he didn’t want to move but took the money for his future . Sadly he only lived for a short while afterwards and never saw it coming down .
These Estates are huge , as you say .

There were some beautiful bungalows that had to be demolished for those new estates I no your area Pompey . Absolute tragedy they were bulldozed . One of my mates owned one , he didn’t want to move but took the money for his future . Sadly he only lived for a short while afterwards and never saw it coming down .
These Estates are huge , as you say .

So many beautiful villages have been destroyed because of land being sold off to the builder's.

I live in a quieter area now but we have issues with gypsies. Horrible people as well.

They have claimed the local football pitch at the moment and threatened the kids parents for playing football.

They are above the law it seems.

Green belt...avin laugh...not protected...backhanders rule the day....I am livid because they could redevelop inner city/town spaces FIRST .old warehouses, factories, etc FFS...leave whats left of our countryside...it wont come bakc until man disappears, then nature will grab it back ....

THIS!!!

80 that seems all good in principle......but it won't wash until we find a way to educate, certainly in the UK, the jobs worth local planners who look for the brown envelopes and give the go ahead to nonsense schemes despite local opposition...and override/ignore lack of supporting infrastructure, and total disregard for green spaces, environmental issues, wild life, schools and health (doctorsr/dentsts etc)) to cater for the increased population...rough shod development strategies with mindless short term non visionaries in the decision making chairs. Creating more issues than it solves...to sait the central government targets for new builds.

We have / had aWorld War Two airfield on our our doorstep. Owned by the Navy . Right on the beach at Lee on Solent . Acres acres of land , HMS Daedalus, .

Can you imagine what that land was worth . …….

The Borough Council purchased it from the Navy , and decided to develop it . They have sold it off piecemeal over the years despite objections at every decision . Houses have been built , industrial estates , , roads driven through it , the airfield has been turned into a commercial venture , the gliding fraternity have been forced out , and the latest abomination is a Electrical Interconnector Station taking power from Europe and feeding into our Power Systems .
This building ( buildings ) is a kin monster .
The whole thing is owned and run by The National Grid .
There was a very viable and safe alternative site available to everyone only a mile away , the old , disused Oil Refinery at Fawley , it can clearly be seen from the beach at LoS .
But , having been offered £10 million pounds to hand the site at the airfield over , Fareham Council we’re not going to let anything get in the way to sell their soul .
The objections were mountainous , , whole communities were formed , it brought around six “ villages” together trying to get this thing stopped , it went to the government and Fareham broke every rule and even ignored the law of the land to get this thing over the line .
The leader of the council became public enemy number one ,
The leader of the planning committee I could easily have punched in the face , smug , self centred arrogant excuse for a man , .

Today the thing is up and running , Fareham have their money , we have lost a lovely piece of coastal land , and everyone is happy !!!
They have painted it purple to blend in with the surrounding countryside!!!!

We have / had aWorld War Two airfield on our our doorstep. Owned by the Navy . Right on the beach at Lee on Solent . Acres acres of land , HMS Daedalus, .

Can you imagine what that land was worth . …….

The Borough Council purchased it from the Navy , and decided to develop it . They have sold it off piecemeal over the years despite objections at every decision . Houses have been built , industrial estates , , roads driven through it , the airfield has been turned into a commercial venture , the gliding fraternity have been forced out , and the latest abomination is a Electrical Interconnector Station taking power from Europe and feeding into our Power Systems .
This building ( buildings ) is a kin monster .
The whole thing is owned and run by The National Grid .
There was a very viable and safe alternative site available to everyone only a mile away , the old , disused Oil Refinery at Fawley , it can clearly be seen from the beach at LoS .
But , having been offered £10 million pounds to hand the site at the airfield over , Fareham Council we’re not going to let anything get in the way to sell their soul .
The objections were mountainous , , whole communities were formed , it brought around six “ villages” together trying to get this thing stopped , it went to the government and Fareham broke every rule and even ignored the law of the land to get this thing over the line .
The leader of the council became public enemy number one ,
The leader of the planning committee I could easily have punched in the face , smug , self centred arrogant excuse for a man , .

Today the thing is up and running , Fareham have their money , we have lost a lovely piece of coastal land , and everyone is happy !!!
They have painted it purple to blend in with the surrounding countryside!!!!
Morning Walt and all, yes I followed your story regards the sell off of HMS Daedalus.
In the 70's I did a short "tour" there, ie practice stuff as you can imagine/ helicopters etc.

The whole thing/scenario regards its sell off stinks to high heaven, I know like yourself the locals were up in arms, protests, letters etc to no avail, there were so many other prettier and probably more useful options that could have gone there, but obviously their "brown envelopes" weren't big enough.

As an ex-serviceman and speaking for the locals like yourself, I am so sorry to see such a beautiful base/piece of land go to waste.

Now up this way at the Ville there 2 options that have been put forward, on hold at the mo!, after pulling down/demolishing half our shopping precinct, most of the shops are just shells and eyesore's they certainly are, fcuking foreign landlords, based up the Smoke somewhere, refusing to renew contracts.

The 2 options are designed around 2 or 3 nine storey blocks of flats, approx 263 single occupancy flats, shops underneath, garden area etc, oh! but no car parking area's at all, push bikes only, what the fcuk!
These same flats being built are right next door to our Church and its clock bells, they will obviously be stopped, years of tradition out the bloody window.

The uproar around here is deafening as you can imagine, to me and many other's a drug den is being built, thus ghetto type thing, where are all the occupants going to go for entertainment, except for 2 boozers there is absolutely nout up here.

The Ville's shopping foot fall area is a no go at night now for the aged, imagine what it will be like with all them extra single peops, esp if they are young.

I could go on as there are many other reasons, but the whole thing makes our bloody blood boil.

Small rant over, followed by Bollocks to Havant Council.

Stay safe and keep smiling all.