Good Morning Thread | Page 265 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Busy day today but managed to catch a few rays in the garden. Our feathered friends very active and making lots of noise. My wife started to do some simple pond maintenance by trying to clear the blanket weed that strangles the water plants. She lifted one pot out the water and shouted...OMG...A large spotted newt was hiding under the pot. Looks to be a smooth newt, probably there to lay eggs as they do until May. So big excitement and new pond life interest.

Finally got a. photo of him . He is only a young one . Makes a lot of noise though .
Pompey , what is the bird that can imitate noises like car alarms etc ? On our allotment we have a very squeaky metal gate . Nobody can get in our out without everyone hearing the gate moving . I thought I was going mad the other day when I heard someone come in , but couldn’t see anyone, then I heard it again .... still no one there .
Then I realised it was a bird imitating the noise ! Clever View attachment 47541
Pretty good photo there Walt, looks to be a Woodie, though really had to tell in black n white.
Keeping on looking it could be an escaped Conure, good mimics, will get back to you.
Now an imitator, could be a Cuckoo, not many people know they can imitate sounds, but so do Crows, they are very good mimics.

Finally got a. photo of him . He is only a young one . Makes a lot of noise though .
Pompey , what is the bird that can imitate noises like car alarms etc ? On our allotment we have a very squeaky metal gate . Nobody can get in our out without everyone hearing the gate moving . I thought I was going mad the other day when I heard someone come in , but couldn’t see anyone, then I heard it again .... still no one there .
Then I realised it was a bird imitating the noise ! Clever View attachment 47541
Walt looking more closely, bloody glasses on, at you photo it looks like there is a red plumage under it's tail at its rear so its a Greater Spotted Woodie.
Even they can imitate, its like a defense mechanism.

Walt just read you had already said the Woodie was a Great Spotted, a great spot by yourself and using you book, sorry if I sounded a bit larey know all lol! I did not mean to, got over excited. Haha!

Happy Monday Morning. Finally cooling down here is Brisbane. Was 33 degrees yesterday but cooled down nicely overnight.

Mrs Hod, Hod Jr and myself headed off yesterday at 6:30am for my sons friendly match 180 klms away. My son played awful. We've watched him go from the class of the pack that everyone admires to very average over the last few years.

During the long drive to the game, I gave a pep talk about making runs into channels and that he may have to make 6 or 7 runs before his team mates actually send him the right pass, but that's all he needs. I discussed using both feet. whilst in possession with defenders nipping at his heals to protect the ball. etc etc etc.

In one ear and out the other. His lack of match fitness really affected his ability to do his "thing".

He did score a worldly from 25 years top left corner, but that was it.

In the car on the way home he was nearly in tears. His entire body, including his ankles, knees and back were so sore. Ay 15 y.o I explained that he needs to make some choices from here on in. At this level he can no longer come home from school, do his homework then don the head phones as he hooks up with mates and plays computer games.

Home work comes first, and then football. In our day we had no other distractions, apart from girls which eventually took me away from the game for some time.

He has a God given talent. He is seriously unbelievable, but he's now at the stage in life when ability alone is not enough. He's our 4th son to go through this, but is clearly the most talented.

The joys of father hood.

Sporting the mother of all hangovers today. Wild Turkey sweating from my pores. Big boss will be in soon so I'd better pull myself together.

Have a great day everyone and don't get too down on our Club.

Why stress about things we can't change. Nobody said being a Yid was a breeze.
Lovely post Hod , it must be so difficult these days . It was difficult in our day to remain focused on the great game. We never had the distractions they have today .
Hope you are all ok .

Hi all, calmed down after yet another inept performance from our beloved team (yeh right)

Unlock down part 1 meant we stayed in the home./ garden...feckin g loonies queuing up for e.g Primark and the likes..confirms how shallow many people are and so desperate to spend time on trivial pursuits ( not the quiz game which if they did play, it would be a feckin waste of time as they have zilch in their brains, just space)

So daycation at ours ....

So as weather was intermittent cloud and luverly sun we got busy in garden, cleaned up paths/patio, started cleaning BBQ and Chimenia etc etc. Nice calm quiet and safe.

A few beers along the way.

Must admit the weekend was dominated by the Masters...so nice to see a new face winning the Green Jacket...Matsuyama, the first Japanese player to win a major. Well done that man!

Pomp my eldest son was a Black Belt Karate at 16 as well. He was always a single minded non-team playing sort of guy. He has let it all slip, fat bastard now ha ha.

Missus was one of the the youngest ever UK female Judo Brown but she was prohibited from going for her black belt as the judges/powers that be at that time deemed she was too young. She was offered a position in Japan to enhance her skills under a master but her dad forbade her to go (areshole, rest his soul).

When we married on the the first night she got me on the ground in a strangle hold, I was completely immobilised and she said to me...you stray and I will kill you ha ha did the job, Mr Faithful coward thats me!

Any way take care all ...don't mx witht the wallies out there.

Last edited:
Hi all, calmed down after yet another inept performance from our beloved team (yeh right)

Unlock down part 1 meant we stayed in the home./ garden...feckin g loonies queuing up for e.g Primark and the likes..confirms how shallow many people are and so desperate to spend time on trivial pursuits ( not the quiz game which if they did play, it would be a feckin waste of time as they have zilch in their brains, just space)

So daycation at ours ....

So as weather was intermittent cloud and luverly sun we got busy in garden, cleaned up paths/patio, started cleaning BBQ and Chimenia etc etc. Nice calm quiet and safe.

A few beers along the way.

Must admit the weekend was dominated by the Masters...so nice to see a new face winning the Green Jacket...Matsuyama, the first Japanese player to win a major. Well done that man!

Pomp my eldest son was a Black Belt Karate at 16 as well. He was always a single minded non-team playing sort of guy. He has let it all slip, fat bastard now ha ha.

Missus was one of the the youngest ever UK female Judo Brown but she was prohintied from going for her black belt as the judges/powers that be at that time deemed she was too young. She was offered a position in Japan to enhance her skills under a master but her dad forbid her to go (areshole, rest his soul).

When we married on the the first night she got me on the ground in a strangle hold, I was completely immobilised and she said to me...you stray and I will kill you ha ha did the job, Mr Faithful coward thats me!

Any way take care all ...don't mx witht the wallies out there.
I hope you are not going to bring in an avalanche of first night wedding stories Greavsie.... ha ha
My wife immobilised me on our first night , but it was more to do with the whisky than anything else .
Sounds like you had a good day in the garden

Happy Monday Morning. Finally cooling down here is Brisbane. Was 33 degrees yesterday but cooled down nicely overnight.

Mrs Hod, Hod Jr and myself headed off yesterday at 6:30am for my sons friendly match 180 klms away. My son played awful. We've watched him go from the class of the pack that everyone admires to very average over the last few years.

During the long drive to the game, I gave a pep talk about making runs into channels and that he may have to make 6 or 7 runs before his team mates actually send him the right pass, but that's all he needs. I discussed using both feet. whilst in possession with defenders nipping at his heals to protect the ball. etc etc etc.

In one ear and out the other. His lack of match fitness really affected his ability to do his "thing".

He did score a worldly from 25 years top left corner, but that was it.

In the car on the way home he was nearly in tears. His entire body, including his ankles, knees and back were so sore. Ay 15 y.o I explained that he needs to make some choices from here on in. At this level he can no longer come home from school, do his homework then don the head phones as he hooks up with mates and plays computer games.

Home work comes first, and then football. In our day we had no other distractions, apart from girls which eventually took me away from the game for some time.

He has a God given talent. He is seriously unbelievable, but he's now at the stage in life when ability alone is not enough. He's our 4th son to go through this, but is clearly the most talented.

The joys of father hood.

Sporting the mother of all hangovers today. Wild Turkey sweating from my pores. Big boss will be in soon so I'd better pull myself together.

Have a great day everyone and don't get too down on our Club.

Why stress about things we can't change. Nobody said being a Yid was a breeze.
“ he did score a worldly from twenty five yards but that was it “ .......... how much are you asking for him Hod .
He sounds just what we are looking for .

Nobody in our squad can do that .

“ who said being a yid was a breeze “
Brilliant .

You do make my day a brighter place (y):rocker:

Walt looking more closely, bloody glasses on, at you photo it looks like there is a red plumage under it's tail at its rear so its a Greater Spotted Woodie.
Even they can imitate, its like a defense mechanism.
Was that the red plumage you can see in the black and white photo pomp?

Not been on the syrup have you , been down the battle on opening day ?
Ha ha .
the photo was taken of the bird who was about thirty foot up the tree , so I zoomed in and did a screen shot , which is why it’s not David Bailey quality special with David Attenborough swooning all over it .
Bloody thing kept flying away every time I got any where near the tree .
There is a bird box up that tree , and it is pecking away at the front of the box , which is obviously hollow , and it’s that that is creating the weird noise .
It’s got all the neighbours intrigued ,
Knob head next door , who incidentally has gone back to his caravan now , yesterday afternoon , was convinced it was his water pipes ‘knocking ‘ ....., then he thought it was his electric doorbell malfunctioning and took it all to bits but couldn’t find the problem , .... people walking passed ( is it passed or past ? Fino ! ) ...... , stop and look around , but never look up !
it’s really funny .
The nearest I can describe it is if you had a wooden ruler and held it by one hand over the edge of a table and flicked the the other end , it’s the sound of the vibration . Like we all used to do in school .

But a lot , lot louder .

Anyhow , I hope everyone is well , safe and secure .
take care and look after each other. Don’t succumb to the idiocy of others just because the pubs are open and the sun is shining . It can still grab you by the bollocks .
Nearly 130,000 now ! Awful .

Morning all, thanks Walt n Greavsie laughing my bleedin head off at the comments, esp first night weddings from you Greavsie, imagination running wild, yours Walt sounds very normal lol!

Yes Walt that sounds about right where your Woodie visitor is concerned, though a great sound to hear it can be irritating lol!
Do you have a Maggie near by because I forgot to say yesterday how good a mimic they are.
An oppo of mine had a Crow visit him everyday at breakfast time, for about a year, but one day he decided to take it to the vet in a box, concerned that it had got to tame, any way bullshitting to the Vet, "oh! he has just started turning up and I know its illegal to keep wild birds/animals", the Vet then opened the box to have a look at it, the Crow jumped out and said "cuppa tea" Vet laughed his head off, "saying not been coming long eh!" but also went on to say he is still wild because he only comes to you in the morning because his nature says food storage, think my oppo was a bit embarrassed lol!

I have no real story of 1st night wedding ventures but I do have 1st night honeymoon, it was 3 weeks after our wedding, reasons so many lol!, any how on the 1st night we broke the bed in the hotel, so off down to complain Mrs PY was so embarrassed me I didn't give a hoot, lol!

Release from our imprisonment, haha, what a state some peops are, Ville yesterday obviously busier than norm, saw no queues at ya normal places that was expected, but at one of the 6 barbers yes! bleedin hell what's going on.

Keep safe all, keep smiling n grinning, keep yourselves and your kin safe.
How long before a 3rd lockdown?

We got lots done in the shop, dusting ,polishing, repositioning, display of new pieces , photographing, measuring etc.

I struggled with breathlessness and had to keep pausing for rest but I have to push myself , it is a form of exercise.

Such a pleasure to come home and sit in the garden for some afternoon rays, quite warm in the sun at approaching 17.00. Goldfinches singing their heads off, bumble bees busy searching...ahhhh the simple things !!

We got lots done in the shop, dusting ,polishing, repositioning, display of new pieces , photographing, measuring etc.

I struggled with breathlessness and had to keep pausing for rest but I have to push myself , it is a form of exercise.

Such a pleasure to come home and sit in the garden for some afternoon rays, quite warm in the sun at approaching 17.00. Goldfinches singing their heads off, bumble bees busy searching...ahhhh the simple things !!
Hope your shop does well Nick , the hard work will pay off .
We don’t have Goldfinches anymore in our garden, don’t know where they have gone.,
Bumblebees the size of golf balls though !
The Acer trees have all sprung into life , including one that we thought had given up the ghost last year when all the leaves fell off before it changed colour in the Autumn .
We gave them all a good going over with fresh soil and a feed over winter , and all four of them are back .
I love the fact that all the plants know the time of year , it can’t be the temperature triggering it off , there have been a lot of brass monkeys around here lately .
I would love to know what causes , say , a daffodil bulb at the back of a compost heap in a bucket , to burst into life at the same time as the thousands that are lovingly cared for at Buckingham Palace.
I’ve tried to put a ground cover plant ,a sedum , in the front garden , to cover a bare patch by the fence , but every time I turn my back , a bird is oiking it out in a search for food . Little git.

Morning all . Looks to be another nice day today . I’m off to the allotment for a few hours , then back for lunch , and then we are planning a walk down the sea front this afternoon .

In going to the pub on Friday , early afternoon , I haven’t been there since late Feb ‘20.
Im meeting my mate there ,.... strangely I feel a bit apprehensive about it .
Doing something I used to do , without a second thought , even going in there when I thought I could be on my own just for a quiet pint , now has me thinking about it .

I feel a little weird about going in there .
Ive got the Trace app on my phone , which I think we have to “sign in “ with .

I’m having my second jab on Friday morning , and my mate has his second jab an hour after me .
The predictor league could be totally fucked up on Friday night , just saying !!!!!!
Especially if we get the taste and sail on through ..... As you do !

Hope you are all well...... , Pompey , we have had no sign of the woodpecker for a day now . I think he has buggered off with the goldfinches.
Stay safe , keep your distance , look after each other .

Snooker starts on Saturday . Another great two weeks . It’s going to be a great distraction to being a Spurs supporter!!!
take care

Never seen it mate , can you expand ? I’m going to google it . Sounds exciting !
Life slowing down a bit RD ? A goose on the loose !

People chatting at the check out .
Not getting their purses out until they are told the price of the shopping and then trying to give the exact coinage , even when they have to search in their purse for the last penny piece , when they have a twenty pound note in their hand .
Slowing down at roundabouts and giving way !
Indicating before turning left . !
Stopping when the amber traffic light shows !

All the things that infuriated me me when I moved down from London ! Ha ha .....

Morning all . Looks to be another nice day today . I’m off to the allotment for a few hours , then back for lunch , and then we are planning a walk down the sea front this afternoon .

In going to the pub on Friday , early afternoon , I haven’t been there since late Feb ‘20.
Im meeting my mate there ,.... strangely I feel a bit apprehensive about it .
Doing something I used to do , without a second thought , even going in there when I thought I could be on my own just for a quiet pint , now has me thinking about it .

I feel a little weird about going in there .
Ive got the Trace app on my phone , which I think we have to “sign in “ with .

I’m having my second jab on Friday morning , and my mate has his second jab an hour after me .
The predictor league could be totally fucked up on Friday night , just saying !!!!!!
Especially if we get the taste and sail on through ..... As you do !

Hope you are all well...... , Pompey , we have had no sign of the woodpecker for a day now . I think he has buggered off with the goldfinches.
Stay safe , keep your distance , look after each other .

Snooker starts on Saturday . Another great two weeks . It’s going to be a great distraction to being a Spurs supporter!!!
take care

Slippery slope mate.....slippery slope....guaranteed once there you will sink quite a few ....Will Power can and will be told to feck off ....(which is good news as we cant stand that bloke can we, boring fart so he is)....nice./enjoy it all mate.

As for us, as no foreign hols or staycations we have joined the outdoor bowls. We normally dont bover in the summer as we are so busy tripping and travelling ..so next Monday afternoon a few of the blokes are meeting up there for some triples and yes some swallahs and then probably mor triples (whiskey this time ha ha).... so I guess Will Power will join yours and be told to do one, Walthy.......looking forward to men talk about golf, cricket, footie swearing and supping....bowls will actually be incidental........fingers crossed the day is dry (I mean the weather of course).

Missus goes Tuesday morming for a game so it will be gossip chatter and flasks of tea and coffee and biscuits .....they really are' aliens' those women....not like us lads one iota! Ha ha

Have a good one (well more than one) guys.....

While I'm working I am listening to Bob Mortimer doing his White Harts Collection from Athletico Mince on Acast.

Bob does Harry, Dele, Dier, Toby and Vert impersonations ( loosely) in different scenarios.

I am chuckling away, worth a listen if you are into daft humour.