No action against Huddersfield | Page 2 | Vital Football

No action against Huddersfield

Our Kids Dad - 23/5/2017 11:30

What goes around comes around - I am not condoning making such changes, but ultimately Wagner was right that we should be focussing on our team/performances.

Still - you wonder how he'd react in the same circumstances.

Fortunately - home form kept us up - just need to ensure that we avoid a similar fate moving forward!

Exactly, Huddersfield did nothing wrong and only did what we did (as Marvin rightly pointed out) a few years ago.

I bet few Forest (if any) fans questioned our "morals" when we pulled such a trick those few short years ago. And if we find ourselves in Huddersfield's position at any pont In the future I'd excpect us to do similar.

We had 45 previous gameweeks to help secure our Championship status, and we didn't exactly help ourselves for a good many of those gameweeks.

This isn't about morals for me, Huddersfield were quite within their rightS by the laws of the game, to do what they did. Had it ultimately cost us our Championship status, i'd haver blamed ourselves and Fawaz, not Huddersfield.

As an aside, if you value morals so highly I'd sasy football really isn't for you.

Pope John XXIII - 23/5/2017 12:09

MarvinsPA - 23/5/2017 09:45

Anyone remember this game?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8615417.stm

Billy Davies said It was a very good exercise. "I'm delighted as it allowed us to play some players, give them some minutes and rest one or two. Being guaranteed a play-off spot, it gives us the opportunity to go and have a look at one or two things"

It cost Swansea a play off place.

How many of those with a 'moral compass' complained then?

There are three changes in that team, all up front-McGoldrick, Adebola and Garner. Two of those were regular squad
The rest of the team featured in the playoffs
players.

Not exactly the same as changing the entire team is it?

Gunter, Tyson, Majewski, Anderson, Blackstock & McKenna all started the play off semi final at Bloomfield road a couple of weeks later, McKenna was due to injury, the rest were due to 'resting' them for the play offs.

Sasy football sounds like fun! Popey pretty much deals with the Forest weaker team issue - quite different.

MarvinsPA - 23/5/2017 12:19

Billy Davies said It was a very good exercise. "I'm delighted as it allowed us to play some players, give them some minutes and rest one or two. Being guaranteed a play-off spot, it gives us the opportunity to go and have a look at one or two things"

There are three changes in that team, all up front-McGoldrick, Adebola and Garner. Two of those were regular squad
players.

Gunter, Tyson, Majewski, Anderson, Blackstock & McKenna all started the play off semi final at Bloomfield road a couple of weeks later, McKenna was due to injury, the rest were due to 'resting' them for the play offs.

Coleman-4
Lolley- 4
Hudson-15
Cranie- 4
Holmes- 5
Whitehead-6
Billing- 5
Payne- 6
Bunn- 5
Quaner- 2
Smith- 27

Two players with more than 10 starts.

Perch had 16 starts
McGoldrick 18
Adebola 13 plus 21 as a sub
Garner 14
Moussi 21
Chambers 17 but played almost all games the next season

Lynch 9, which would put him ahead of 9 of the Huddersfield players

You mention Tyson starting the playoffs but he only started 19 games

Only 7 of our players started more than 30 as we were a squad team.

Very different

Pope John XXIII - 23/5/2017 12:33

players.

Coleman-4
Lolley- 4
Hudson-15
Cranie- 4
Holmes- 5
Whitehead-6
Billing- 5
Payne- 6
Bunn- 5
Quaner- 2
Smith- 27

Perch had 16 starts
McGoldrick 18
Garner 14
Moussi 21

Very different

It's not different, you just want it to be to suit your argument, but the fact remains we deliberately played a significantly weaker team to suit our own needs & the only noticeable defence between us & Huddersfield is that when we did it it made big difference the final league table, had we managed a better result in this game Swansea would have finished 6th instead of Blackpool.

MarvinsPA - 23/5/2017 10:48

So 50% to 60% in changes is acceptable, but 90% isn't?

Where are we drawing that line then, 75% or 80%?

Or just it's different if we do it and find excuses as & when we need to.

er read the post before- that's the point EFL do not have a standard definition i.e. a big obvious loophole that a competent organisation would have dealt with some time ago.

MarvinsPA - 23/5/2017 12:45

players.

Coleman-4
Lolley- 4
Hudson-15
Cranie- 4
Holmes- 5
Whitehead-6
Billing- 5
Payne- 6
Bunn- 5
Quaner- 2
Smith- 27

Perch had 16 starts
McGoldrick 18
Garner 14
Moussi 21

Very different

It's not different, you just want it to be to suit your argument, but the fact remains we deliberately played a significantly weaker team to suit our own needs & the only noticeable defence between us & Huddersfield is that when we did it it made big difference the final league table, had we managed a better result in this game Swansea would have finished 6th instead of Blackpool.

think it is different imo :19: but misses the point- teams can only play to the rules they are given. EFL are responsible, even if it's hudds doing the dirty.

Personally - I'm more concerned with how so many clubs have avoided FFP sanctions & embargo's and the fact that the EPL & EFL cannot see that the changes are actually creating a bigger problem.

Fair enough, such issues around team selection should be covered but I'm still of the opinion that the Summer Transfer Deadline Day - should be done & dusted before the season starts - given the way that many teams can be weakened by the big fish when they come & feed from weaker clubs - leaving limited opportunity to get suitable replacements or having to pay over the odds for lesser players.

I know the same can happen in January, but at least you've had half the season to prepare!

MarvinsPA - 23/5/2017 12:45

players.

Coleman-4
Lolley- 4
Hudson-15
Cranie- 4
Holmes- 5
Whitehead-6
Billing- 5
Payne- 6
Bunn- 5
Quaner- 2
Smith- 27

Perch had 16 starts
McGoldrick 18
Garner 14
Moussi 21

Very different

No, it's very different and you are trying to equate it to something that it simply doesn't equate to.

Billy Davies played a squad game and used the full squad. You are pretending that some of these players were reserves when they were anything but. Adebola played a part in well over 30 games that season. Moussi was the preferred midfield choice when we played both West Brom away and Newcastle at home.

Perch played in both playoff games and was a general choice after the departure of Shorey. The only ones that were unusual choices were McGoldrick and Garner. Resting two strikers before the playoffs is reasonable.

If you want to see the squad game in action, note that Tyson was preferred for the Blackpool home playoff and McGoldrick the following season for Swansea away.

As for your assertion that it made a difference, perhaps. But Blackpool were in the middle of a run of ten straight wins to take them into the playoffs and the Premier league. Beating us (4 away wins all season) was an expected result not a shock one.

Contrast with Huddersfield, playing a side on an appalling run of form that had barely won a game in weeks if not months and were down to ten men for an hour.

Playing a side where most players have made no more than 4-5 starts.

We had two ever presents in that forest side. The Huddersfield goalkeeper had made 4 starts all season.

And that's still assuming I condoned what Davies did at Blackpool, which I didn't because it harmed us.

You equate the two and use it to justify something i find immoral, I don't

Our Kids Dad - 23/5/2017 13:11

Personally - I'm more concerned with how so many clubs have avoided FFP sanctions & embargo's and the fact that the EPL & EFL cannot see that the changes are actually creating a bigger problem.

Fair enough, such issues around team selection should be covered but I'm still of the opinion that the Summer Transfer Deadline Day - should be done & dusted before the season starts - given the way that many teams can be weakened by the big fish when they come & feed from weaker clubs - leaving limited opportunity to get suitable replacements or having to pay over the odds for lesser players.

I know the same can happen in January, but at least you've had half the season to prepare!

completely agree- it's just another footnote in the sorry incompetence of football establishment in England.

AdebolaCornflakes - 23/5/2017 12:50

Loving the faux moral outrage on this Fred (pmsl).

Just had a voice in my head asking me to change it but I can't remember my password to that account

er read the post before- that's the point EFL do not have a standard definition i.e. a big obvious loophole that a competent organisation would have dealt with some time ago.[/QUOTE]

THIS is the point I have been trying to make since the start.

tombalonga - 23/5/2017 14:41

er read the post before- that's the point EFL do not have a standard definition i.e. a big obvious loophole that a competent organisation would have dealt with some time ago.

THIS is the point I have been trying to make since the start.[/QUOTE]

:19: no worries- at least one of us got your point, well made imo.

tbh moral handbags is always fun from the sidelines :19:, reckon it's 2-2 between marv and pope