Nigel Adkins | Vital Football

Nigel Adkins

Scharnerarma

Vital Youth Team
BBC Sports saying that Huddersfield are in for Nigel Adkins, which if its true means its one potential Cook replacement off the market. An ex-player with a decent record at this level as well to boot. Bit of a surprise that they've gone for him (if its true), question is how long until the Rowetts, Monks, Moyes and Hughtons are all snapped up? Especially as were not far away from the typical Premier League-Championship sacking season.

Hoping that we don't regret missing out on anyone if Cook doesn't manage to turn things around ...

Disappointed to hear that. I think he could do a decent job for us and keep us up. More experience at this and higher level than cook. Plus a former player and we generally have success with them, initially at least.

He's had a mixed bag as a manager, good for Hull, absolutely shocking for Sheff U, dodgy at Reading but great at Southampton and Scunthorpe - so depending on which club you judge him by you can make an arguement he's a good of bad appointment. But i'm suprised with the parachute money Huddersfield haven't gone for someone better - Hughton or even someone like Karanka or Jokanovic who we likely cant afford.

Personally Adkins would've been in my top 10 canidates to replace Cook but prob towards the bottom of the list, so i'm disapointed one of our realistic options is about to go off the market but i'm glad they are taking him rather than one of the names i'd have in my top 3.

Disappointed to hear that. I think he could do a decent job for us and keep us up. More experience at this and higher level than cook. Plus a former player and we generally have success with them, initially at least.
"Initially at least" until he loses 4 games in a row? Just wondered what you meant by that- "Just asking for a friend" as they say ?

Not massively concerned about Adkins to be honest as stated above there's better options elsewhere and if we want to go to the next level I think we need to aim higher. He's an upgrade on cook, but only just.

Monk going is definitely a shame, as its been pointed out hes done a solid job in difficult circumstances and i'd like to think he'd have done a decent job for us. But hes gone now, so not one to think about. Theres risky appointments that could be made, like a foreign unknown or a League 1/2 prospect, although we've got the latter now and theres no point in a sidewards move. Paying off Cook will be pricey enough, so we're looking at free and available options, and of the 'safe' options left, we've got -

Adkins & Rowett - I'd say probably the most realistic bets. Neither would be a bad shout.

Moyes - Needs to rebuild his rep, Everton links through the Royals, but its a big drop for him and he might have big salary demands. But if its possible, lets do it.

Allardyce - Probably holding out for a Prem job, but I do recall an interview a while back where he said he knows he probably needs to drop a division, so he could be tempted by a project. Horwich links aside, he'd be a decent choice, but I do wander about his salary demands and job expectations.

Hughton - Probably waiting for a Premiership job.

Karanka & Jokanovic - Probably too expensive for us and hoping for a 'bigger' club.

Steve McLaren & Pardew - Please, just no.

So theres still options out there, but for how long, who knows.