Nicknames | Vital Football

Nicknames

BladesMad

Alert Team
Staff member
Been thinking about nicknames and where they come from. We know about The Blades and its heritage. We have also been known as The Cutlers and in our infancy, The Candystripes, due to the thin red stripes on our shirts.

For several years, decades even, we've also been known as the Red and White Wizards but when was it started and why? Red and White I can understand but Wizards? It has no link to Sheffield that I'm aware of.

Does anyone know about this one?

Been thinking about nicknames and where they come from. We know about The Blades and its heritage. We have also been known as The Cutlers and in our infancy, The Candystripes, due to the thin red stripes on our shirts.

For several years, decades even, we've also been known as the Red and White Wizards but when was it started and why? Red and White I can understand but Wizards? It has no link to Sheffield that I'm aware of.

Does anyone know about this one?
I’m not 100% sure that this is when it started it but I remember a bloke who used to sit around SS H block around the time Basset was our manager who always stood up and shouted ‘COME ONE YOU RED AND WHITE WIZAAAAAAAAAARRRRDS!!’ at the start of every game and got a cheer. He was a big lad with a proper gob on him. The announcer (was it Sinclair back then?) also started saying It about then when he read out the team sheets.

I’m not 100% sure that this is when it started it but I remember a bloke who used to sit around SS H block around the time Basset was our manager who always stood up and shouted ‘COME ONE YOU RED AND WHITE WIZAAAAAAAAAARRRRDS!!’ at the start of every game and got a cheer. He was a big lad with a proper gob on him. The announcer (was it Sinclair back then?) also started saying It about then when he read out the team sheets.

I remember it on the Kop before that, back to Div 4 and Porterfields time really, with everyone around joining in on the AAAAARDS bit.. No idea where it originates.

I remember it on the Kop before that, back to Div 4 and Porterfields time really, with everyone around joining in on the AAAAARDS bit.. No idea where it originates.
Yes I remember the joining in. I guess it could have been the same bloke who moved from the kop. It wasn’t a young bloke.

Can remember when our main song was " Hi Ho Silver Lining". Totally dated after 1975. Still I guess some sad old fans still sing it.

It's a bit like the bouncing.
Our fans stopped doing it in the 1980's when it became a bit dated.
But of course the best and most original fans in the world started doing it 35 years after everybody else stopped doing it