New director's test rules | Vital Football

New director's test rules

Jimmy Gordon

Vital Football Legend
There was an EFL AGM last week

They've voted through a couple of new rules. The second one clearly brought about from the EM appointment. Maybe the first one as well? Looks like they are trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted

1) Ensuring the provision of false information in a declaration can of itself constitute a disqualifying condition under the Test.

2) Extend the disqualifying condition concerning the commission of a criminal offence within this country to anyone who has engaged in similar conduct overseas, whether or not it has resulted in a conviction.

Jimmy Gordon - 11/6/2017 07:26

They've voted through a couple of new rules. The second one clearly brought about from the EM appointment. Maybe the first one as well? Looks like they are trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted

1) Ensuring the provision of false information in a declaration can of itself constitute a disqualifying condition under the Test.

2) Extend the disqualifying condition concerning the commission of a criminal offence within this country to anyone who has engaged in similar conduct overseas, whether or not it has resulted in a conviction.

That could surely be problematic.

What is the criteria? Do you have to have been put on trial?

If it hasn't resulted in a conviction presumably there is no evidence of them engaging in that activity?

Unless it means they will include out of court settlements and plea deals?

Pope John XXIII - 11/6/2017 07:34

Jimmy Gordon - 11/6/2017 07:26

That could surely be problematic.

What is the criteria? Do you have to have been put on trial?

If it hasn't resulted in a conviction presumably there is no evidence of them engaging in that activity?

Looks like it already applies that over here if you are under investigation for a misdemeanour you can't pass the directors test with or without a conviction

Whereas it appears the rules uptil last week didn't take account of overseas investigations stopping you becoming a director

I'm going to guess that rule one came about due to something EM tried as well

You would have thought they would already have a ruling in place for that though!

Just think this time last week providing false information was not reason for failing the test

The EFL is not fit to govern over anything

Mark2310 - 11/6/2017 11:37

Just think this time last week providing false information was not reason for failing the test

The EFL is not fit to govern over anything

Have to agree with that

Pope John XXIII - 11/6/2017 07:34

I don't think you can settle a criminal case out of court. A plea deal is, of course, pleading guilty to one crime to avoid a trial on a more serious one - the league would only be able to consider the "lesser" crime in that case.

Jimmy Gordon - 11/6/2017 09:15

You would have thought they would already have a ruling in place for that though!

That's something we'll never know and unless we do, it's completely improper to imply it.

There's been many takeovers in the FL recently, EM's is just one.

paplane - 12/6/2017 10:18

Jimmy Gordon - 11/6/2017 09:15

That's something we'll never know and unless we do, it's completely improper to imply it.

There's been many takeovers in the FL recently, EM's is just one.

Exactly - not all about Forest!

Though to be fair, looking at this objectively, it does appear to imply that EM's takeover may have prompted these changes.

More fool the EFL for calling it a fit and proper persons test (or whatever it's called) in the first place, when it's no such test at all really!

No suprise there though.

It is not neccessarily Forest, the Reading takover took miles longer than ours to ratify, it was only recently announced but put to the league in December. Prior to that the same consortium as bought Reading plus a few others tried and failed to buy Hull City as they actually failed the fit and proper test

I would hazard a guess the rules are far more likely to apply to this than EM they were Chinese buyers and like Russia the Chinese are notorious for convicting and then expunging the conviction a few years later perhaps one of the Chinese buyers fell into this catagory and perhaps false information was given and then subsequently submitted again and due to the fact it wasn't them as an indivdual that gave false information fell through a loop hole hence the rule changes

It is worth pointing out again that over the last years the FL have been quite happy for buyers to give false information, this all under the watchful eye of Shaun Harvey who sold Leeds to GFH Capital the investment house of Bahrain who's human rights record should have failed full stop and then that got embroiled in Dubai holding companies blah blah then Cellino etc etc

There's another ticking time bomb at PSG that needs addressing too

I think EM will be the least of the EFL's worries. Hearing that Birmingham's owners are a bit dodgy too! Redknapp will set them back years!

I assume that is that snert Blu droning on about attendance or sucking up to his "director" mates not that I care a jot as I have him &. several others placed firmly on ignore. Myself & the major we're discussing the fit & proper persons test after a troublesome yomp through a notorious mountain range in South America but that's another story

Toodlepip

trouble is if they tighten things up too much there will be no owners left, muck n brass n all that