New Bob Latchford autobiography | Vital Football

New Bob Latchford autobiography

Less than two pages on his spell at Lincoln but at least more than on his equally unsuccessful stint at Coventry.

A few reasons he gave for his disappointing time at Lincoln:
1. Very difficult for someone who has played at the top to adapt to a far lower standard;
2. His confidence had been knocked by his poor spell at Coventry; and
3. The 500-mile round trips from his home in Swansea.

He might have been poor at Lincoln but what a great player he was at Everton.

If I recall correctly he only played just over half a dozen matches before being loaned out. In the matches I saw him play for the Imps I can't say I was impressed.

Never saw him turn out for The Imps but always liked him. Big hearted player. Scored well over 200 goals in his career.

Remember being so excited when he signed

What a huge let down

Think i remember seeing him score at Wigan Athletic (Springfield Park) for us???

"Remember being so excited when he signed

What a huge let down"

Possibly the biggest name outfield player weve signed in my 35 yrs watching the imps and a total and utter let down.

Read more: http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=42887&posts=4#ixzz3rm27UtO2

I can remember not being able to sleep as a young teen and getting up, flicking tele on and watching sports night. The game on was Liverpool v Birmingham. What a thriller. Latch ford scored three but ended up on the losing side 4-3.
Another great memory of Bob. Was watching the swans hammer 'the champions of Europe' hahaha Leeds 5-1 on the opening day of the season.

89spartans_12/03/77 - 18/11/2015 13:39

I can remember not being able to sleep as a young teen and getting up, flicking tele on and watching sports night. The game on was Liverpool v Birmingham. What a thriller. Latch ford scored three but ended up on the losing side 4-3.
Another great memory of Bob. Was watching the swans hammer 'the champions of Europe' hahaha Leeds 5-1 on the opening day of the season.

For many, many, years he was "the last non-Liverpool player to score a hat trick at Anfield" (quiz question). The one before him may well have been Bert Linnecor!

simes69 - 18/11/2015 08:36

I *think* Peter Ndlovu of Coventry robbed Latchford of that accolade of scoring the hat-trick at Anfield.

He had during his Everton days been an excellent striker. I saw him score in a pre-season friendly against Middlesborough and thought he was going to be an great signing. Did he end up here because at the time we had Phil Boersma as Assistant Manager and he'd been at Swansea with him?

For many, many, years he was "the last non-Liverpool player to score a hat trick at Anfield" (quiz question). The one before him may well have been Bert Linnecor!

simes69 - 18/11/2015 16:36

I don't think Latchford did score a ha trick at Anfield. In the game you refer to when Liverpool won 4-3 they were actually 3-0 down and I remember Gordon Taylor, now PFA top cock, scored a 30 harder but Bob might have got the other 2. Bert Linecor was the last away player to score a hat trick until Peter Ndllovu did likewise for Coventry about 1992/93.

Living in the North West with an Everton supporting brother saw Latchford a few times in his pomp and he was a very good centre forward remember the last game of the season sometime in the early 80's when he had 28 goals and required 2 for his 30 league goals for the season, Everton played Chelsea and he took them apart in a 6-0 win and got his 2 goals.

My brother would not believe me when I told him his hero was signing for The Mighty Imps but he really was a major disappointments to put it mildly!!

Latchford only scored one at Anfield that day -
http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/709

simes69 - 18/11/2015 16:36

Bert Linnecor doesn't even have that honour, Terry Allcock of Norwich scored a hat-trick at Anfield two seasons later although was still on the wrong end of a 5-4 defeat.

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/report.asp?rec_id=3114