Mowbray in | Page 3 | Vital Football

Mowbray in

I was never keen on Critchley 1st time round tbh. I just know when something isn't right. Even Gary Bowyer was a better manager considering the circumstances and what he was given. Sadler is naive and obviously stubborn, but if he wants to waste his money on even more naff decisions then more the fool him.
Over 5 years now and that little word on our crest is becoming even less meaningful as the years tick by.
Regress is more pertinent a motto!

I was never keen on Critchley 1st time round tbh. I just know when something isn't right. Even Gary Bowyer was a better manager considering the circumstances and what he was given. Sadler is naive and obviously stubborn, but if he wants to waste his money on even more naff decisions then more the fool him.
Over 5 years now and that little word on our crest is becoming even less meaningful as the years tick by.
I was dead against the Critchley re-appointment just like you Noddy but of course the supporters count for nowt. It's a business even to SS. We wouldn't want to get back into the big time too soon! I can see that Critchley will be around for the full season at the very least. The fact we can't beat teams in the lower reaches of L1 is a real concern. Even the Pool faithful are becoming restless and why shouldn't they be.

Last edited:

Can you elaborate on your first sentence? He got us promoted and kept us up comfortably in the second tier.

He didn’t leave in the best circumstances granted but I am genuinely wondering your thoughts behind the first comment given his on the pitch success?

Just to add for the record, I wasn’t jumping for joy when we re/appointed him but I wasnt as annoyed as some of you.

After the utter drivel served yet again last night I can certainly understand some negative feelings towards him more than I could a week or so ago.

Can you elaborate on your first sentence? He got us promoted and kept us up comfortably in the second tier.

He didn’t leave in the best circumstances granted but I am genuinely wondering your thoughts behind the first comment given his on the pitch success?

Just to add for the record, I wasn’t jumping for joy when we re/appointed him but I wasnt as annoyed as some of you.

After the utter drivel served yet again last night I can certainly understand some negative feelings towards him more than I could a week or so ago.

That was then, this is now! 🤦

The snake didn't cover himself in glory in his 2 stints after slithering out to Villa and then QPR. Without checking it was something like 2 wins in 13 at both before he was sacked BOTH times.

Draw similarities if you like with Grayson. He had circa 3.5 years as a player and 3.5 years as a manager at Blackpool. He was captain, youth team coach, reserve team coach, minibus driver and then the manager who got us out of the 3rd tier for the first time in 29 years. He consolidated our position in the Championship the first season then struggled and eventually slithered off but did a pretty good job getting a couple of other teams out of League 1. This for me is why Sadler reappointed him due to past successes and his ties to the club and quite possibly because he knew he'd work on a shoestring budget etc.

BUT . . . he was no longer at his zenith, and just a washed up has been playing a style of football that became extinct around the Cretaceous Period. See also Mick McCarthy who also has fossilised remains of his first coaching notebook in his interview pack.

Like every other poster on here I respect your point of view, your passion and your differing opinions, but from a personal level and a collective opinion across many platforms you should understand that you are increasingly becoming a lone voice supporting no-blame Neil.

That was then, this is now! 🤦

The snake didn't cover himself in glory in his 2 stints after slithering out to Villa and then QPR. Without checking it was something like 2 wins in 13 at both before he was sacked BOTH times.

Draw similarities if you like with Grayson. He had circa 3.5 years as a player and 3.5 years as a manager at Blackpool. He was captain, youth team coach, reserve team coach, minibus driver and then the manager who got us out of the 3rd tier for the first time in 29 years. He consolidated our position in the Championship the first season then struggled and eventually slithered off but did a pretty good job getting a couple of other teams out of League 1. This for me is why Sadler reappointed him due to past successes and his ties to the club and quite possibly because he knew he'd work on a shoestring budget etc.

BUT . . . he was no longer at his zenith, and just a washed up has been playing a style of football that became extinct around the Cretaceous Period. See also Mick McCarthy who also has fossilised remains of his first coaching notebook in his interview pack.

Like every other poster on here I respect your point of view, your passion and your differing opinions, but from a personal level and a collective opinion across many platforms you should understand that you are increasingly becoming a lone voice supporting no-blame Neil.

Absolutely none of that addresses the point Noddy made that he didn’t like Critchley FIRST TIME AROUND.

To be quite honest if it carries on like the last two games then absolutely change is needed as it has been bloody dreadful.

The main question is whether the players believe in him or not, if he’s lost the dressing room then that only goes one way like it did with Appleton & McCarthy.

One thing I will agree with you is your Grayson comments, I didn’t like that appointment second time around and we all know how that ended.

Just to clarify, Critchley was far from my first choice, I’d have been happy with Richie Wellens, Liam Manning (obviously Oxford got him first) or even Gary Bowyer all ahead of Critchley at the time.

The first time round he was stuttering just like now, until we brought in Calderwood. His playing style is frustrating, his tinkering and over elaborating tactics are obviously not working, as the players don't appear to know what they're doing. I feel the man is nothing more than a glorified PE teacher and for the club to take someone like this on with very little management experience in the first place, is absolutely ludicrous.
Liking someone is not enough, people should be appointed for their ability and man management skills. To take a chance on a rookie in the first place and allow them to learn at the clubs expense is just plain silly and blind hope that we're going to get lucky. Sadler had thrown tons of money at him so we would at least expect something in return?
There is in my belief, an abundance of talent in this squad, probably more than enough to be challenging for a top spot. There appears to be a criminal waste of resources when you look at other squads in this division. Its more than obvious that Critchley is not bringing the best out of what's available to him.
A poor workman will always blame his tools.
You can keep the faith for as long as you want Luke, but sooner or later the coffee has to be smelt!

The first time round he was stuttering just like now, until we brought in Calderwood. His playing style is frustrating, his tinkering and over elaborating tactics are obviously not working, as the players don't appear to know what they're doing. I feel the man is nothing more than a glorified PE teacher and for the club to take someone like this on with very little management experience in the first place, is absolutely ludicrous.
Liking someone is not enough, people should be appointed for their ability and man management skills. To take a chance on a rookie in the first place and allow them to learn at the clubs expense is just plain silly and blind hope that we're going to get lucky. Sadler had thrown tons of money at him so we would at least expect something in return?
There is in my belief, an abundance of talent in this squad, probably more than enough to be challenging for a top spot. There appears to be a criminal waste of resources when you look at other squads in this division. Its more than obvious that Critchley is not bringing the best out of what's available to him.
You can keep the faith for as long as you want Luke, but sooner or later the coffee has to be smelt!
Morning Noddy hope you are well.

It is bloody irritating I agree and all your points cannot be disregarded. The "who next" question still needs to be addressed and from your comments that excludes Dobbie. Who do you and others think is possible? I'm genuinely not making a point because if this carries on even I will get despondent.

Bowyer is so astute on the radio when commentating on our games.
I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
Dobbie as his no2.
As it is....
View attachment 70639

I watched the game on TV and listened to Bowyer's commentary. I agree entirely, his knowledge of players, his cool assessment of where we were going wrong and his ideas to remedy things were not just commonsense but came across as the word you used. Studious.

He could see that PV were packing their team into defensive positions when we were on the ball and that we were struggling to get through them. He said "when this happens you need to go over them" and no he didn't mean an aimless hoof after 20 or 30 pointless backward and sideways passes, but carefully worked dinks (for want of a better word). The problem being that we don't have much height or the best hold up players now with Beesley and Dougall probably out of the team. Norburn isn't that sort of player either. He may as well put his boots on back to front because he's always looking to go backwards.

His personality too is warm, calm and pragmatic. He's not the usual smug, conceited, narcissistic type (like we have now!) moreover he would command respect and be seen as a cool, level-headed leader to be trusted, and not throw you under the proverbial bus if you drop a bolluk!

Morning Noddy hope you are well.

It is bloody irritating I agree and all your points cannot be disregarded. The "who next" question still needs to be addressed and from your comments that excludes Dobbie. Who do you and others think is possible? I'm genuinely not making a point because if this carries on even I will get despondent.
I couldn't say who is right for us Hasty, but I know when someone isn't. I actually like Dobbie, his style and approach are probably what's needed. I think Bowyer was good at the time, but we know what often happens second time round:hmmm:

You know what, fair enough and I am struggling to disagree with what you are saying

I watched the game on TV and listened to Bowyer's commentary. I agree entirely, his knowledge of players, his cool assessment of where we were going wrong and his ideas to remedy things were not just commonsense but came across as the word you used. Studious.

He could see that PV were packing their team into defensive positions when we were on the ball and that we were struggling to get through them. He said "when this happens you need to go over them" and no he didn't mean an aimless hoof after 20 or 30 pointless backward and sideways passes, but carefully worked dinks (for want of a better word). The problem being that we don't have much height or the best hold up players now with Beesley and Dougall probably out of the team. Norburn isn't that sort of player either. He may as well put his boots on back to front because he's always looking to go backwards.

His personality too is warm, calm and pragmatic. He's not the usual smug, conceited, narcissistic type (like we have now!) moreover he would command respect and be seen as a cool, level-headed leader to be trusted, and not throw you under the proverbial bus if you drop a bolluk!

Think that’s also a fair post Layton, I like Bowyer too.

I think one thing me and you do agree on is that we aren’t overly sold on Norburn!

Yeah I’d be confident he would get promotion in the next season or two….,
I'm sorry I can't agree with you Luke. Five weeks ago he has players that can beat Pompey 0 - 4 away from home and their performance was outstanding. I thought we were going to be just about unbeatable after that. Something has gone seriously wrong since then and we can't even beat the lower teams. We all know who is accountable for that. Can it be turned around quickly enough to save this season never mind the next two seasons.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't agree with you Luke. Five weeks ago he has players that can beat Pompey 0 - 4 away from home and their performance was outstanding. I thought we were going to be just about unbeatable after that. Something has gone seriously wrong since then and we can't even beat the lower teams. We all know who is accountable for that. Can it be turned around quickly enough to save this season never mind the next two seasons.

To be honest I said that before the Port vale game and if anything you could say it was even worse than the Burton shambles.

If this carries on he defintely will not be getting us up as he won’t be here!