Most important transfer window in 10 years? | Vital Football

Most important transfer window in 10 years?

H

helgy

Think this it is one of the most important Windows in years we have faced.It could be massive for us.

http://ow.ly/V19nw

It could. Read quite a few comments from people cautioning against rocking the boat. I'm all for hoping CM has a bit of money to play with and trusting him to manage things.

If I was Moyses I'd be concerned if either one of my centre backs got injured (God forbid, both) and Rhead. So I'd be looking at those areas. A bit more flair (when required) in midfield could be useful too.

But otherwise a really solid first team. Strength in depth the issue but we are where we are in terms of budget.

2 or 3 key additions could get us there. I really do believe we will do it this season.

Wonder if CM would confront the players about who they think would improve the squad and would like to work with.
Just a thought.

Id be really wary of adding to squad maybe a loan/short term deal and move a couple on but squad seems balanced and happy.

We have 2 players on 4 yellow cards and 1 on 3 yellow cards
Wood & Muldoon on 4 yellow cards
Beevers on 3 yellow cards
We really need the full squad available for the Grimsby game and none suspended.

jal jal - 24/11/2015 22:45

We have 2 players on 4 yellow cards and 1 on 3 yellow cards
Wood & Muldoon on 4 yellow cards
Beevers on 3 yellow cards
We really need the full squad available for the Grimsby game and none suspended.
You can't worry about the yellow cards. In this day and age they are as prolific as confetti at a wedding. We have flexibility in the squad which gives it added depth. We need our strongest possible side for all games not just Grimsby as the 3 points on offer from each of those games are equally important. Having said that the players need to be able to go out and play each game they are selected for without worrying about their card count.

Unless you have already been suspended, I was under the impression the 'threshold' for one moves to 10 yellow cards once we are into December (2 games to survive) otherwise it means missing 2 games when reaching 10?

The whole issue of signing players is a minefield; regardless of who you are, you never quite know what you are signing.

City's squad is interesting. A month ago, Hawkridge was a major part of the team but now cannot get a start; Tempest has come out of the woodwork and taken his opportunity with both hands; even though we missed Sparrow and Stanley for a lengthy period, we topped the form table during their absences. Hearn has been in and out of the team ad nauseam but we are 5th nonetheless.

So do we actually have strength in depth already?

Scotimp - 25/11/2015 10:01

The whole issue of signing players is a minefield; regardless of who you are, you never quite know what you are signing.

City's squad is interesting. A month ago, Hawkridge was a major part of the team but now cannot get a start; Tempest has come out of the woodwork and taken his opportunity with both hands; even though we missed Sparrow and Stanley for a lengthy period, we topped the form table during their absences. Hearn has been in and out of the team ad nauseam but we are 5th nonetheless.

So do we actually have strength in depth already?
This "We have flexibility in the squad which gives it added depth."

I remember watching the imps pre season at Lincoln United and thought
the manager is going to have a tough job keeping the squad happy after we fielded 2 different sides 1st & 2nd half.
Thought I was on my own with that thought then.

I agree that we have a certain amount of depth to the squad but it doesn't go very deep. I'm pretty sure our worst form was when Howe was out injured so CB would be an area I would look at and a fast tricky winger as Muldoon is about the only pace we have in the squad at the minute and helps to create space for other players.

I think as long as they are better than what we have I would bring in a proven conference winger, replace Nat with a better centre back and possibly add to the centre forwards if there was a great player available but I do think we have harmony in this position and are able to put power behind Rhead and now we have the Scunny lad as backup for Rhead too.

All in all buy when you're on top as that's when you can attract the best players and lets get a good winger and a cb.

It's a very similar situation to Schoey's first season in that logic tells you to strengthen the squad, but in what position? Do we bring in players for the first team and risk upsetting the dynamic? If we stick with what we have will we hear for the next 10 years we should have 'strengthened'?

That said, i have a feeling Dan Bradley willbe here sooner or later. Is he injured? Last time i checked (briefly) i didn't see his name in their team?

SIMJON - 25/11/2015 12:28

It's a very similar situation to Schoey's first season in that logic tells you to strengthen the squad, but in what position? Do we bring in players for the first team and risk upsetting the dynamic? If we stick with what we have will we hear for the next 10 years we should have 'strengthened'?

i was thinking similar re: schoey. we added swd, green and dng didn't we... did they play that many games after xmas? seem to remember that dng didn't have much impact at the start.

i think we have a decent squad, with back up in most positions, so would concentrate on one [or two!] player that would add something to the first team, rather than just 'squad members'. as said above i would like to see a creative attacking midfielder to compete [upgrade on] power. is that bradley fella at alfreton still doing well and on our wishlist?

presumably the two loanees - hawkridge and wootton - were positions that moyses deemed we needed to strengthen, so if they stay great... but if they go back we need to replace them imo.

and regarding squad harmony, we added hawkridge and wootton and it doesn't seem to have unbalanced the squad.

uti.

It'd be nice to have an extra one or two for depth but loan players come to play, not to warm the bench.

Difficult balance. Schoey signed 7 or so in the winter transfer window(s).

SIMJON - 25/11/2015 12:30

That said, i have a feeling Dan Bradley willbe here sooner or later. Is he injured? Last time i checked (briefly) i didn't see his name in their team?
Ruled out for a month about two weeks ago.

Luke Imp - 25/11/2015 12:49

It'd be nice to have an extra one or two for depth but loan players come to play, not to warm the bench.

Difficult balance. Schoey signed 7 or so in the winter transfer window(s).

Yeah, Schoey brought in too many players in that Jan window, to cover all positions, but in doing so the quality was thin so it didn't really strengthen the squad at all. It was a difficult conundrum then, and is now, and luck plays a big part in guessing which positions will need plugging in the next few months. Versatile players, for me, is probably the best option.