Math Thread Blackpool v Port Vale | Page 3 | Vital Football

Math Thread Blackpool v Port Vale

That was a painful watch.
I was worried how we were going to set up when I saw the team, for me playing a lone striker at home, at this level, is criminal.

Possession means nothing. First half its painfully slow playing the ball across the back. It always ends up at Marv 's feet and we have seen it half a dozen times already he is liable for an error. Not blaming him, he's a CH but he certainly isn't a ball playing CH.
With only playing a 5 foot nothing striker on his todd we can't hoof it long so
Norburn comes to collect it.
No issue with that, he's a tidy player whose strength is holding the ball then playing a 10-15yd pass, and that's where our problems begin, who does he pass it to?
My personal scapegoat is
Carey. He is anonymous in games. It's great bring abe to watch every match live on the gogglebox, you get to see a much wider view of the formation, who is looking for the ball, making space, runs off the ball etc. than you do bey being at the game.
It was 17 mins last night before Carey touched the ball.
Mind you he wasn't alone first half, Dougall was just as bad.
Morgan too, just didn't see enough of the ball.
We are still crying out for a midfielder who can play that killer pass. A link to turn possession in to attack.

I've not seen enough of Moxon to know if he is that man, but he has scored 2 already this season and if it takes a million £ to get him then that'd what it takes.

We have the ££, we certainly have the need.

2nd half was slightly better with a few half chances.
CJ isn't a clinical finisher.
I saw Horwich on the sly divisional round up in the early hrs of this morning. A kid who looked to have CJs build and strength scored 3 last night.
CJ had the chances. He tried a shoulder high kick rather than head it.
His best chance almost went for a throw in.
Beesley had 2 decent half chances but poor finishing again saw us shooting more blanks than a vasectomy follow up.
In real life, that's good news if you have had the op, in football terms it means a point maximum.

Barnsley put 7 past Port Vale only 10days ago.

3 teams already have a maximum points tally.
The games come thick and fast, we saw last time here in Division 3 that a slow start cost us automatic, its up to the club to get the players in now to get us a team that challenges this division.

Over 11000 there on a Tuesday night, fans are doing their bit off the pitch, the club now need to get the playing staff in off it, starting from this morning.
First call I'd nake is to Brunton Park.

Last edited:
The Vale fans were noisy until around the 20 minute mark when our play sent them to sleep. Marvin's footwork was akin to a new born giraffe.

So much for getting at teams. The amount of times we got to the edge of the box and the crowd shouted 'shoot!' but instead we went defensive or passed to CJ who just didn't know what to do with the ball.

Long balls to a solitary dwarf surrounded by giants was a tactic that was as effective as a chocolate fireguard.

We need a quality striker to hold it up and who can win headers. If only we had £ms of incoming revenue from the sale of a decent striker?

To top the night off closing the M55 at the end of Yeadon Way after the final whistle was a thing of beauty if it was a stunt pulled for a prank TV show.

Last edited:
Who picks the side? Who decides on the formation and tactics? I am sure those players are capable of much better, but we know what we saw. I can"t see it getting much better after hearing what the master tactician had to say about it, delusional and stuck up his own arse.

Agree that Dobbie inspired a more attacking approach but we have kept 4 clean sheets and did create enough chances on Saturday and last night to have nicked one nil wins. Something to build on but not to inspire or excite.