Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool FC - PL | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool FC - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The difference in class was there to see.

We have four players that are good enough in Reggie, Hoji, Kane and Son. Ndombele is so unfit. You can't build a team around a player like that.

The rest are either on the decline or are not good enough.

Give Jose the rest of the season, if we win a trophy great but if he wins nothing and we don't get CL again I don't see the point in him staying. He will have shown he doesn't have what it takes.

We have four players that are good enough in Reggie, Hoji, Kane and Son. Ndombele is so unfit. You can't build a team around a player like that.

Give Jose the rest of the season, if we win a trophy great but if he wins nothing and we don't get CL again I don't see the point in him staying. He will have shown he doesn't have what it takes.
My fear is that we win the Carabao Cup, nothing else, and do not qualify for the CL either via Europa or PL position. Jose will be able to tell the world that he was brought to the Club to win trophies, and achieved that in his first full season. In reality we will have gone backwards.
My hope is that we win the Europa League and thereby qualify for the CL. That will be meaningful, and almost worth all the dross that we have had to sit through throughout the PL season.

I am with Aurier, I am pleased to hear that he cared so much. He and Rodon had not worked it out between them and Aurier was slow walking back at times, but Jose knows he does that a lot. That cross was rolling into Lloris' arms then it hit a rut and deviated away from him. Dier assumed it would continue its arc of travel into Lloris' arms so he saw no reason to insert himself into the situation. Oh for such a lucky bounce at the other end.

My fear is that we win the Carabao Cup, nothing else, and do not qualify for the CL either via Europa or PL position. Jose will be able to tell the world that he was brought to the Club to win trophies, and achieved that in his first full season. In reality we will have gone backwards.
My hope is that we win the Europa League and thereby qualify for the CL. That will be meaningful, and almost worth all the dross that we have had to sit through throughout the PL season.

NOW THATS A FIRST...a supporter who does not want us to lift a trophy....ha ha
(before you reply I know what you are saying /implying mate ok)

Such a great post. I really wanted that Carabao Cup final in February. It would have been a great marker in the ground to see whether we've made progress or not, win or lose. Winning the EL and gaining entry to CL through that tournament is way more meaningful.

The other sign that is meaningful is the attitude of the players in the league compared to the later stages of the cup competitions. Last time around our players got up for the CL rounds. They didn't get up for the league games on the weekends and it showed that Poch no longer had the mindshare of the squad. They just became guns for hire in the cup competitions and the next season it all came crashing down.

Against Liverpool, that started to surface again in the second half. Apart from Hojbjerg, they weren't fighting for their manager or the shirt. They were going through the motions. Worrying signs.

Such a great post. I really wanted that Carabao Cup final in February. It would have been a great marker in the ground to see whether we've made progress or not, win or lose. Winning the EL and gaining entry to CL through that tournament is way more meaningful.

The other sign that is meaningful is the attitude of the players in the league compared to the later stages of the cup competitions. Last time around our players got up for the CL rounds. They didn't get up for the league games on the weekends and it showed that Poch no longer had the mindshare of the squad. They just became guns for hire in the cup competitions and the next season it all came crashing down.

Against Liverpool, that started to surface again in the second half. Apart from Hojbjerg, they weren't fighting for their manager or the shirt. They were going through the motions. Worrying signs.
Good points, although I do wonder if Mourinho has already decided that it's in his best interests to target Cup competitions, recognising that we are not a top three team, and fourth place will be a dogfight. If that is the case, it will inevitably rub off on the players.

He is working against the tide of having only five players who are good enough. That is quite a handicap throughout a season for almost any manager.

He is working against the tide of having only five players who are good enough. That is quite a handicap throughout a season for almost any manager.
True, although almost his first quote when coming to Spurs was that the squad was good enough. Our best five are certainly superior to most Clubs in the PL, and the rest like most Clubs in the PL are pretty average. Any thoughts that we are a match for the best is delusional, they have quality in every position, as the Liverpool game proved.
That doesn't alter the fact however that we are consistently failing to beat, or are struggling to beat, teams where our best five and any combination of the rest should be good enough. The big issue which probably the majority of fans believe to be the case, is whether Mourinho's tactics against these teams is the cause, and whether our own tactics are negating the qualities of our best players.

True, although almost his first quote when coming to Spurs was that the squad was good enough. Our best five are certainly superior to most Clubs in the PL, and the rest like most Clubs in the PL are pretty average. Any thoughts that we are a match for the best is delusional, they have quality in every position, as the Liverpool game proved.
That doesn't alter the fact however that we are consistently failing to beat, or are struggling to beat, teams where our best five and any combination of the rest should be good enough. The big issue which probably the majority of fans believe to be the case, is whether Mourinho's tactics against these teams is the cause, and whether our own tactics are negating the qualities of our best players.

I didn't expect Jose to join the club and say anything else. Our supporter forums can be less than diplomatic, and a few of us have been saying for a while now that the majority of the squad isn't good enough. Our techniques, control, passing, etc by so many are regularly not up to standard. Teams lower down the league and divisions often show us up and demonstrate better team play than we do. Our squad needs a serious rebuild.

I didn't expect Jose to join the club and say anything else. Our supporter forums can be less than diplomatic, and a few of us have been saying for a while now that the majority of the squad isn't good enough. Our techniques, control, passing, etc by so many are regularly not up to standard. Teams lower down the league and divisions often show us up and demonstrate better team play than we do. Our squad needs a serious rebuild.

I agree with this and Kane needs to go.

Truth!

Yeah, if he wants to look back on his career and remember winning things.

Perhaps on the winning aspect. However, his time has passed at Tottenham and he needs his big-money contract. He's earned it. If COVID hadn't hit it may have been different but it is what it is.