Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Lincoln City

Well what an interesting game and incredible finish!

A huge improvement on Crewe, but we still need to improve in several areas.

We were very deserving of a point and were probably the better of the two teams. Lots of half chances in the game but not many clear cut chances. We absolutely battered them second half. Admittedly they were trying to sit on the one goal lead, but they didn’t look like automatic promotion contenders. Had the game laster 5 minutes longer I think we would have won. I really hope that last minute goal will kick us on.

What we’d give for an extra striker like Danny rose. How did he manage to win so many headers!?

Felt like it was going to be predictable lincoln. Not taking advantage of the pressure and then conceding straight after. Our lack of pace in the midfield and defence makes us very vulnerable to counters. Thank god for Palmer after all the abuse he got! However, what an idiot waterfall was for lobbing the bottle back at the crowd. Means botswick back in defence, which isn’t ideal.

Was very disappointed with the deliveries from the flanks and set pieces. Don’t know if that is partially because we don’t get many people in the box from open play? Feels Like weren’t getting far fewer goals from set pieces, particularly corners.

Here’s the big one. I don’t think Freck is adding much for us. Currently feel like he’s being crowbarred into the team, but we suit 4-4-2. Don’t know if it’s because of the way we play, but he just doesn’t fit. We looked a much better team when we took him off and got Rowe and Anderson on the wings. Having said that, I’m surprised we took Williams off so early.

Finally, as is par for the course. The referee wasn’t shocking....... for both teams. How can he judge a high late tackle, over the ball (a definite red) and frecklingtons tackle as equal!?

Must win game at Chesterfield. Try help out our fishy friends.

Williams has had barely any football so I would imagine he was told to give it an hour or so and was always going to be subbed.

hulloutpost - 6/3/2018 22:13

Williams has had barely any football so I would imagine he was told to give it an hour or so and was always going to be subbed.

Almost definitely right, but he seemed to still have something left in the tank.

the second yellow for their fella's foul on palmer was also ludicrous. poor ref, getting caught up in all the excitement!

agree with what has been said about freck. doesn't fit atm. i was really expecting much, much more from him. expect that will be sorted in the summer.

nlondonimp - 6/3/2018 22:21

agree with what has been said about freck. doesn't fit atm. i was really expecting much, much more from him. expect that will be sorted in the summer.

Danny said something interesting about that last week: he said the new signings are fit, but not 'Lincoln City fit'. Probably very difficult to achieve that mid-season. We'll see where they all are after a good pre-season.

Scotimp - 6/3/2018 22:27

Danny said something interesting about that last week: he said the new signings are fit, but not 'Lincoln City fit'. Probably very difficult to achieve that mid-season. We'll see where they all are after a good pre-season.

williams already looks much fitter, brighter, sharper than in his first 45 against barnet. maybe freck is lagging behind, as he has also had the calf injury/left side problem

Possibly unfair to expect too much from Freck this season, given his fitness and injury situation. Possibly not the best idea to keep playing him under those circumstances either, although DC is a far better judge than I will ever be.

Think we have to accept the ban for Waterfall. But I do hope they find (if they bother to look) the tw@t that threw the bottle onto the pitch and kick the can't to death!
Thought we were marginally the better side, defeat would have been unfair. It would have been unthinkable if the ref does his job 5 or so minutes into the game. Pretty sure he would have sent him off if that happens 10 minutes later. That said, he failed to book the guy for "diving" so who knows!

What an ending and we could have even won it at the end. We absolutely battered them in the second half and eventually we broke the door down. Interesting to see Rheady and Palmer together up top near the end. I do think it's getting towards the stage where Palmer deserves a start.

Thought Williams was unlucky to be taken off as he looked our only real threat at the time and he looked none-too-happy about being subbed either. Agree about the Freck comments – he's trying (too) hard, but constantly gave the ball away tonight. No doubting he is a quality player, but he just seems off the pace at the moment. Thought Greeny was less effective out wide, but he still had one big chance, with that bicycle kick. How many headers did Rheady win tonight? Thought he was excellent and throughly deserved to stay no the pitch for the whole game.

Considering they could have gone third, I thought Mansfield looked a poor team and were devoid of any attacking intent after they scored (and didn't have much before it either). I am surprised some of their gangly-legged players (Benning, White, etc...) didn't snap in two whenever they were crunched by City players. I don't agree with Danny's post-match comment that Mansfield have the "best squad in the division", not by a long chalk.

Just got home. A much improved performance from Crawley and Crewe, we looked much more solid with Bossy back in midfield and I thought Williams did well. We have our limitations but what we lack in a bit of creativity up front we certainly make up for in a bit of mongrel and a will to win.

Thought we were well worth a point.

We deserved a point definitely. I thought last 30 despite some of our final ball lacking Mansfield were on empty and blowing out of the proverbial.

Given how much Mansfield have spent to limit them to a couple of half chances all evening was a testament. Even though we didn’t create an awful lot of clear cut chances we edged the territory.

Half expected a bigger crowd there this evening.

We deserved a point, no question. Mansfield looked very dangerous to be honest and had some very good players. Felt our full backs were exposed and were being overloaded by both an attacking full back and a wide midfielder. Seems odd with this being the case to not start with 2 true wingers of our own.

I thought Williams played well going forward. Frecklington for me is still yet to justify a starting place, but he will be guaranteed a start for the next 3 I imagine with Bossie slotting back to CB to fill in for Waterfall.

Poor decision in the heat of the moment at the end from Waterfall. No issues with a straight red for that.

JT_LCFC - 7/3/2018 05:03

We deserved a point definitely. I thought last 30 despite some of our final ball lacking Mansfield were on empty and blowing out of the proverbial.

Given how much Mansfield have spent to limit them to a couple of half chances all evening was a testament. Even though we didn’t create an awful lot of clear cut chances we edged the territory.

Half expected a bigger crowd there this evening.

Some bitter scab was crying salty tears on the main road outside afterwards. Complaining about our style and asked how we could watch that every week? Well nearly 9000 do, which is nearly three times as much turn up to watch that lot (when Forest aren’t at home).

imps_joe - 5/3/2018 23:10

Well what an interesting game and incredible finish!

A huge improvement on Crewe, but we still need to improve in several areas.

We were very deserving of a point and were probably the better of the two teams. Lots of half chances in the game but not many clear cut chances. We absolutely battered them second half. Admittedly they were trying to sit on the one goal lead, but they didn’t look like automatic promotion contenders. Had the game laster 5 minutes longer I think we would have won. I really hope that last minute goal will kick us on.

What we’d give for an extra striker like Danny rose. How did he manage to win so many headers!?

Felt like it was going to be predictable lincoln. Not taking advantage of the pressure and then conceding straight after. Our lack of pace in the midfield and defence makes us very vulnerable to counters. Thank god for Palmer after all the abuse he got! However, what an idiot waterfall was for lobbing the bottle back at the crowd. Means botswick back in defence, which isn’t ideal.

Was very disappointed with the deliveries from the flanks and set pieces. Don’t know if that is partially because we don’t get many people in the box from open play? Feels Like weren’t getting far fewer goals from set pieces, particularly corners.

Here’s the big one. I don’t think Freck is adding much for us. Currently feel like he’s being crowbarred into the team, but we suit 4-4-2. Don’t know if it’s because of the way we play, but he just doesn’t fit. We looked a much better team when we took him off and got Rowe and Anderson on the wings. Having said that, I’m surprised we took Williams off so early.

Finally, as is par for the course. The referee wasn’t shocking....... for both teams. How can he judge a high late tackle, over the ball (a definite red) and frecklingtons tackle as equal!?

Must win game at Chesterfield. Try help out our fishy friends.

Agree with some of those worst one for me Rheady was dragged down to the floor and the ref gave a free kick to them refs and Rheady hey any other player it’s a stonewall penalty.

Whoops I meant to say the ref was shocking.

A classic ref that was happy to give anything in the middle of the park. Anything in the box went in favour of the defence. As soon as he sent waterfall off (deservedly) they were always in trouble of getting a red as he tries to even things up.

Then not booking their player after they were adjudged to have ‘dived’!? I thought it was a foul to be honest, but tricky angle behind the goal.

nlondonimp - 6/3/2018 22:50

Scotimp - 6/3/2018 22:27

williams already looks much fitter, brighter, sharper than in his first 45 against barnet. maybe freck is lagging behind, as he has also had the calf injury/left side problem
County was Williams' first game and he looked fine in that, although admittedly it was one of those games where adrenalin probably got him through.