'Massive Opportunity'.. | Vital Football

'Massive Opportunity'..

Spursex

Alert Team
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...r-players-have-massive-opportunity-on-us-tour

Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham's younger players have 'massive opportunity' on US tour

By Richard Cooke

Last Updated: 24/07/18 9:12am

Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham's tour of the United States is a "massive opportunity" for the younger players to prove they are good enough for the first team.

Spurs trained on Monday for the first time since arriving in Los Angeles ahead of their opening International Champions Cup match against Roma on Thursday.
That game is followed by matches against Barcelona on Sunday and AC Milan next Wednesday.

Many internationals are still missing following the World Cup although Colombia defender Davinson Sanchez was back in training.

"It's a massive opportunity for our younger players to show their quality and for players to show they are in condition to fight for a place in the first team," Pochettino told the club's website.

skysports-davison-sanchez-tottenham_4369846.jpg

"We have three very good tests and more than results, it's about how we are going to approach the games and both collective and individual performances," added Pochettino.

"It's about players showing they are in condition to fight for a place in the starting 11 and to share that with our fans in America will be fantastic."

"We're looking forward to playing, looking forward to a nice Tour and sharing [time] with our fans, that's important too."

skysports-harry-kane-kane-england_4334006.jpg

Denmark's Christian Eriksen has been included in Tottenham's 25-man squad for the International Champions Cup along with Heung-Min Son and Moussa Sissoko, who missed out on the World Cup with France.

All three trained in California as Spurs look to get their pre-season campaign off to a winning start against last season's Champions League semi-finalists.

Would you play Llorente or let a youngster try and make the "backup to Harry who never plays" spot his own?

Massive opportunity ? KWP and Georgiou didn't break through last season after impressing. With Poch having a reputation for developing youth I was disappointed with last seasons progress on youngsters. Aurier was taking KWPs place underservedly IMO. Wanyama was brought back too early and looked a shadow of his former self, Winks too. Georgiou could have at least had some sub minutes.

Poch talks about taking risks and being brave ?

Georgiou plays wide. Wanyama and Winks injuries not really relevant. Sure he'd have got a look in if he was a box to box CM as we were short there.

was Sissoko not playing centrally in that game?

Don't profess to have seen all his games or anything but I don't recall him ever playing centrally when I have watched.

Sissoko was playing central and I was I was impressed with Georgiou at the time. Two good feet, quick passing. He gets forward quickly. Young players often change from their favoured positions as they develop. I don't know where he will end up positionally but with Rose and Son favouring the left and Davies as a wing back, Georgiou ain't gonna get much joy there.

It's easy to blood one youngster in the cup against Newport away from home in a team of 10 outfield changes when the overall squad is carrying a few injuries. It's a lot harder to bring them on with 20 mins to go and play alongside 10 first teamers against Everton at home. That means omitting a senior player from the match day squad. That's the hardest part for Poch, but he does need to reward these young guys with more of that in the future in my opinion. That's what the great managers like Fergie did.