Masons pre-match interview | Vital Football

Masons pre-match interview

Mason's stint is clearly so different from when Jose had 2 games a week every week. In some ways, it makes it harder to keep everyone happy. When you win though, it's easy to justify the team selections.

This is where Mason earns his stripes. He should know that whilst it is not Moura and Nombele's fault they missed games through injuries, the 2 lads that replaced them did well and should keep their place. They now need to wait their turn and work hard in training.

Who the hell IS THIS GUY?!?!?

Never seen a guy of his literal-experience come across so seasoned. Every second I beleive him more. His answer on Jose was perfect. He owned the moment completely. He has just the right amount of confidence, not quite passing into arrogance, but oyu can sense it, and that's a good thing. Word all around is everyone is impressed.

Only thing left are the results.

If he wins out....

Its getting a bit tiresome....his stock answer....I'm just focused on the next game.
It let's him off any challenging questions about many subjects and sounds robotic and rehearsed.
I know, I know I'm being harsh, its just something that's starting to bug me.

Its getting a bit tiresome....his stock answer....I'm just focused on the next game.
It let's him off any challenging questions about many subjects and sounds robotic and rehearsed.

What subjects do you think he should be challenged on after being in the job 5 minutes and winning both his league games?

What gets tiresome are the media hacks who come up with nothing original and are continually looking to get managers to say things that can be spun in multiple directions.....all negative.

What I saw was a very well-composed 29 year old tell the media to naff off several times over. It was a masterclass.

This for me is the best part. he's not allowing himself to be dragged into side issues and things irrelevant to his job at hand. As he repeatedly says. But it how he's dealing with these questions that's impressive. His combination of words, body language, and temperament exhibit absolute control over the moment. And frankly at the end of the answer, he has politely made the quizzer feel just a wee bit dumb for having asked a stupid question. Whether it may actually be a stupid question, or not.

I'd much rather hear his answers on pitch related matters than whether he's spoken to Moron-hoe, or how he wishes he does at Roma.

Ultimately he'll be judged on results, but certainly so far he's making all the right noises, and that positivity is transferring itself on to the pitch. I think that there is a real chance that we will get maximum points between now and the end of the season, which was unthinkable under Mourinho. It quite likely still won't be enough, but will certainly be good enough to give Levy something to think about. We will probably opt for experience, but it's easy to understand why Mason is highly rated in the Club, and he looks nailed on to manage the Club at some stage in the future.

He treats the media the way they should be treated. He gives them enough so they can do their jobs, but he doesn't give them anything that can be spun into new narratives. So clever. It's actually very hard to do that well because I know some top sports journalists personally and they are vultures. The only bit where he slightly messed up was when he naturally said "yes, Harry is my best mate..." but even then he quickly put the coach/player barrier back up by saying 'he still wants to learn and develop his game.'

Breath of fresh air after Poch's slow unravelling in press conferences and Jose's relentless ego-theatre.

Just imagine Jose sitting in that chair. Do you think he would have got the same questions?

So Ryan, Rodon was playing well before you took over and hasn't featured in the last 3 squads. What's your thinking there?

So Ryan, having watched Bale get a hatrick last week, is there some regrets about not playing him in the cup final?

So Ryan, Tanguy is clearly the club's biggest signing. Are we likely to see him feature this week?

The press have been soft on the guy, but he has answered well.

Just imagine Jose sitting in that chair. Do you think he would have got the same questions?

So Ryan, Rodon was playing well before you took over and hasn't featured in the last 3 squads. What's your thinking there?

So Ryan, having watched Bale get a hatrick last week, is there some regrets about not playing him in the cup final?

So Ryan, Tanguy is clearly the club's biggest signing. Are we likely to see him feature this week?

The press have been soft on the guy, but he has answered well.

They aren't pushing him like that because of 3 reasons...

1) They will try and develop a bit of trust with him at the start because if they go too hard too soon people clam up and never give anything.

2) They can already see he is giving nothing away. I have heard someone ask him about Bale in the final though, but I can't remember when it was.

3) He isn't emitting an ego that invites the more combative questioning. Mourinho wanted those questions and plays for that hostile atmosphere at times. They know that they can push Mourinho for silly quotes or a slight red mist that then brings out the "respect my record" attitude.

When asked before kick off Mason gave it the one match at a time stock answer. Kane when asked the same question....can you get top 4 ? , yes we need to win all 4 !!

Post match when asked if our players were up for it, Ryan said yes we started well. Then on another interview he contradicted himself by saying Leeds started better and it took a while for us to get going.
He did say our finishing could have been better.
When asked about the first 2 goals he said he couldn't remember how they came about.
His head seems scrambled.

Yes the end cannot come quick enough for me.
Plus the last Spurs game I watch on Sky or BT, having told Mrs PY, that's it I am cancelling both at the end of the season, politics does not belong in Sport.
She said to me what about your Cricket n Rugby, my answer I will have to watch other channels if they are on any of them.