Martin Allen | Vital Football

Martin Allen

blueworm

Vital Youth Team
Has a chance of keeping Barnet up after their win at Morecambe today. If he does from where they were when he took over it will be an achievement of Lovellesque proportions.

I really recommend his post match interview on the Barnet website. Among other things, he talks about how Peter Beadle failed to track back in a game for him fifteen years ago. Almost enough to miss him.

Yet again he's done brilliantly for Barnet. We should never had sacked him. He obviously dared to disagree with Lord Scally over something at the time!

I encountered him several times during his reign at Gills. He always came over as extremely over arrogant and unwilling to communicate.
I was glad when he left, because I think the players had had nobody to speak to.

Disagree. I well remember him picking up fans and letting them travel on the team coach, and those fans said what a down to earth normal bloke he was. We mustn't forget he got Gills their first championship for 50 years!

Allen has a history of eccentric gestures to get the fans on board. Unfortunately that’s not where the eccentricity ends. At GFC he is said to have had several untenable relationships with players and club staff before he was sacked.
His behaviour and comments during the promotion season began to grate before Christmas before he disastrously underestimated the quality of League One and set us up to fail. A fantastic eight week manager but poor for anything more than eight months. There are many examples throughout his career to back this up.

Despite all that he’s very charismatic and likeable, from what we as fans at least, get to see. I’ll always have a soft spot for him guiding us to our first championship in my life time while also being pleased Scally sacked him when he did.

My heart is with Jim Bentley's Morecambe i met him when we last played a really nice genuine guy. I agree with Hardy Martin Allen was almost impossible to deal with at times .His treatment of Adam Barrett and Andy Frampton was unforgivable .After I thanked them for there tremendous efforts after we go promotion .Martin gave me a look of total disgust .Adam and Andy were clearly really upset about it. This was before we had won the championship he had clearly alienated some senior players .

Allen has a history of eccentric gestures to get the fans on board. Unfortunately that’s not where the eccentricity ends. At GFC he is said to have had several untenable relationships with players and club staff before he was sacked.
His behaviour and comments during the promotion season began to grate before Christmas before he disastrously underestimated the quality of League One and set us up to fail. A fantastic eight week manager but poor for anything more than eight months. There are many examples throughout his career to back this up.

Despite all that he’s very charismatic and likeable, from what we as fans at least, get to see. I’ll always have a soft spot for him guiding us to our first championship in my life time while also being pleased Scally sacked him when he did.

Pretty much my view too

Fantastic for the fans but I would imagine a nightmare to manage - something Scally himself said at the fans forum.

Forever glad that he was our manager for that season but definitely a short term solution

Last day scenario = Barnet beat Chesterfield, Morecambe lose at Coventry and go back to the National League, Barnet survive.