Mark Stimson thankfully now n/g | Vital Football

Mark Stimson thankfully now n/g

ME2blue

Vital Squad Member

Shocking record at lowly Margate.

I always remember that season under him in L1 when we were relegated on the last day of the season, I believe a draw was needed and we were tonked away to Wycombe. Not an away game won all season, but some of the very best stuff in years at home. Leeds and Southampton if I remember rightly?

Strange season, that one. I remember Scally's reaction to the press after immediately sacking him after the game. 'We got relegated, and he didn't win a single away game.' Lol

Yes, ironically there were several thrilling games that season in spite of the relegation. Mind numbing boredom most of the time in the last three seasons.

Strange season. We were absolutely brilliant at home at time and absolutely rubbish away. I think people are over critical of Stimson though. We've had worse managers

Strange season. We were absolutely brilliant at home at time and absolutely rubbish away. I think people are over critical of Stimson though. We've had worse managers
Yes agree with that; got us promotion and the season we got relegated in our last two home games, we beat the mighty Leeds and Southampton!

I very, very rarely bet on football perhaps 3 or 4 times ever. Stimson won me £140 with that Southampton score and the first scorer.

Criticism of Stimson's character and demeanour amuses me because he was more odd than nasty. He didn't feel the need to justify himself, or say the right thing, which produced some funny moments but clearly wound up some. We have had far more objectionable types at the helm, some of whom remain popular with fans.

Last edited:
I think Stimson was really unlucky manager. He lost his best player and what he considered his most important signing for the all or the majority of that relegation season. Would we have stayed up with fit Simon King and Danny Jackman? I think so
Absolutely agree. Shame it didn't work out for him (and us).

Sure. But that would not explain how we didn’t win an away game.

I think the idea is that having a quality player like King available would have added a few more wins to both home and away results.

We were shocking away that season. But just 1 or 2 away wins we’d have been pretty safe and with an overall pretty good record.

And TBF, his wasn’t the only Gills side in history that was very poor away from home.

We had quite a make shift defence in that 2009-10 season as a result of King being absent and that definitely ended up costing us. For all Richards was good at being the no-nonsense defender, he seemed to have a few injury problems that year and we had a constant changing back line of Josh Gowling, Matt Fry for first part of the season on loan from West Ham and then Darren Dennehy on loan from Cardiff second half. Add to that Simon Royce getting seriously hurt in a car crash that left us with Alan Julian in goal meant we struggled to keep a solid back line in place.

Stimson's behaviour at times was rather unnecessary and the unusual comments he'd come out and make were no doubt why many of us (myself included) weren't overly fans of him. That and signing some real non-league duds such as Griffiths, Thurgood, Simmonds, Ba & Yussuf didn't help his cause.