Manchester City vs Rags - 12.30pm BST Mon 25th July - Pre-season tour Match Day Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City vs Rags - 12.30pm BST Mon 25th July - Pre-season tour Match Day Thread

Skoorb

Alert Team
So here we are......

The historic first ever derby to be played outside Manchester .........discounting of course all those played at The Old Toilet. But we can't expect the rest of the footballing world to understand that so let's just leave that hanging....

Of course this match is the first meeting between the new managers of both clubs. Once colleagues (at Barcelona) and subsequently on rather less friendly terms Guardiola will be facing Maureen again. The latter has played down the significance of this pre-season friendly, once again undertaking his classic lowering of expectations policy just as he did before his new charges took on Dortmund. Just as well really given the four goals they conceded.

Guardiola has so far played the resumption of their relationship with a diplomatic straight bat. He knows full well that this is a phoney war and the real meat and potatoes won't be brought to the table until September when the first league derby will take place. I fully expect the media hype before that fixture to be off the scale - re-runs of their encounters whilst at their respective Spanish clubs will be played over and over again. Their relationship deteriorated badly and although Maureen has been circumspect so far I do not doubt that he will employ every tool in his armoury of the black arts to ramp up the pressure on his bitterest rival. With an ego larger than the stadium his club infests he wants to be the top dog and his corrosive narcissistic tendencies will come creeping out to infect the atmosphere I am sure.

It is going to get ugly as the press conference questions will try to eek out and add to the tension. Any hesitation, pause before replying....blinking even will be a sign of 'stress' and the internet click-baiters will have a field day.

Still, that is for another day.

Monday's fixture remains in doubt due to the heavy - almost biblical - rain that has been dropping upon the Birds Nest stadium recently. We await updates. There will be HUGE pressure to play this fixture and I hope that due consideration is given to the risks it poses to the squads. I recall one pre-season game played on a rain sodden pitch in the far east where we picked up some injuries and with the likes of Aguero, Silva and co back in the frame the potential for something similar occurring to deprive Guardiola of the services of key personnel.....doesn't bear thinking about.

City's squad is bolstered by the return of senior players such as Hart & Sterling fresh from their combined hatchet job on England's chances of Euro 2016 glory. Yes, sadly it was their fault and no one else's that England got dumped from the tournament :012: How many will feature should the match be played is another question. I dare say they will take some part in proceedings if only to give the sponsors their money's worth.

The fixture will only be shown live on the rag's own club channel and I dare anyone on this site to admit they subscribe to that. Details of potential live streams will follow and highlights will be available on Sky Sports commencing at midnight BST. If City win it will be shown only once and the BBC site will bury the report 'below the fold' as they say in Newspaper parlance.....should a different outcome arise I expect it to be on a loop with the BBC site also going bonkers and declaring the first blow to have been struck.

What are your thoughts on the first derby of the Guardiola era?

I want to beat them whatever the status of the games.....

Come On City!!!!

I would rather have wasp stings in both eyes than subscribe to the Stretford channel. Maybe one day if it is feasible we will have our own.

How does this friendly "tournament" work? Maureen has said they (rags) are going home after this game (if it goes ahead).

Buzz Lightyear - 24/7/2016 12:47

I have only read articles where they ask Pep if he will shake hands, why are they not asking Maureen the same question?

They did ask Maureen and he said the same as Pep, I think the media are trying to make it a war and I hope both managers resist this

Buzz Lightyear - 24/7/2016 18:14

It's not a real tournament, they just play two games each

I have no idea why it is called the International Champions Cup when no one appears to win anything. Just a series of games organised around the globe under the same banner. All a bit odd.....unless you are a sponsor or wanting to satisfy the masses especially in the Far East.

We leave after we play Dortmund.

Rising - 25/7/2016 07:43

**BREAKING***
The game is OFF.
No further news yet.

Hearing now that its the rags who don't want to play and forced the cancellation. City were happy for it to go ahead.
Rags = Chickens!!!

:010:

Moaning Maureen Mourinho (City v United Preview)

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=568881

Manchester derby in China called off because of adverse weather conditions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36881494?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Anyone got Mansfield or Barnsley's number?

Delighted this is off, can do without the Derby press bollox in off season.

I can now concentrate on the cricket thank you.

I am sorry for the Chinese fans who did not get to see their favourite club thrashed by a club with no history but is partly owned by a Chinese consortium.

Bluedub - 25/7/2016 09:03

Anyone got Mansfield or Barnsley's number?

Delighted this is off, can do without the Derby press bollox in off season.

:026: Quite so. They have been denied their easy headlines and the chance to ramp up the pressure. Not disappointed about missing the potential for an injury on a treacherous surface.