City 4 Liverpool 3
Woodwork :-
City 0 Liverpool 0

Attendance:- 53,289
Stats Courtesy of
Mancity.com
https://www.premierleague.com

Last edited:
CITY XI: Ederson, Walker (C), Akanji, Dias, Ake, Rodrigo, Bernardo, Foden, Doku, Alvarez, Haaland
Subs: Ortega Moreno, Carson, Phillips, Stones, Gomez, Gvardiol, Bobb, Lewis

50 – Erling Haaland has scored his 50th Premier League goal; in just his 48th appearance, it’s the fastest any player has reached the milestone in the competition. Machine. #MCILIV

Man City 1-0 Liverpool​

HT: Haaland 1-0 Liverpool.
He has been the difference in an even contest. Ake's pass found him after a slipped clearance from Alisson and the striker did the rest. His 50th in the Premier League - the quickest a player has ever reached that tally. Liverpool are in this though. Nunez has tested Ederson and there have been countless nearly moments. Not over this one.

GOAL - Man City 1-0 Liverpool​

Erling Haaland
Inevitable.
Erling Haaland scores against Liverpool for the first time in a Manchester City shirt and it comes from an error.
Alisson's clearance goes straight to City and it's slipped through to Haaland. He fires it past Alisson.
City lead at the Etihad and it's the big number 50 for Haaland.

FT: Man City 1-1 Liverpool
Some reactions afterwards as Pep Guardiola and Darwin Nunez have a bit of a stand-off on the touchline.
Jurgen Klopp holds back his striker then goes to shake hands with Guardiola, having a hug and laughing it off.
Liverpool's players are definitely the happier of the two teams. They came from behind to salvage a point at the home of the champions.

We await the verdict of Colin on his return from the game.

That soft free kick for the contact on Alisson was the turning point. That was such a poor decision.

For the rest of the game we could really have done with KDB's 'lock picking' abilities....

'We've played a lot better against Man City and lost'​

cb9a8c5d-f65a-4746-95f0-73d52a1c9ca2.jpg

Liverpool
Liverpool goalscorer Trent Alexander-Arnold, speaking to Sky Sports: "It’s definitely better than last year. We haven’t had too many good results here in general. It’s a point gained. It wasn’t an amazing performance from us at all, but we take the point. There were positives – we had chances to win the game.
"I don’t think we played particularly well. Their formation and the way they set up really challenged us. We regrouped at half-time and came out with a bit more of a game plan to press them. It’s difficult subconsciously when you play against Man City – you can’t really get tight to them or stand off them.
"There was potentially a game plan to stop me from getting the ball in midfield. I think Bernardo [Silva] was very close to me when I was pulling inside. It was about getting on the ball in different ways and getting us up the pitch. We did that especially well in the second half."
"There’s been many times when we’ve played a lot better against Man City and lost the game. The point was something that we needed and instils that belief that even if we don’t play well, if you get a point it means you’re doing something right."
On his goal: "I got the ball from Darwin. I could sense that there were bodies and I tried to get it across goal. Thankfully it found the bottom corner and it’s one we needed. It was about getting over the line and getting that point."

'A point is obviously not bad'​

Liverpool
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk speaking to Match of the Day: "The second half was much better than the first half. Obviously we knew we would suffer at times and that is something you have to expect.You have to fight as a team.
"To come away with a point here is obviously not bad. We wanted to win but we didn’t lose, which sounds a bit cliche. There are a lot of things we have to improve and we’ll keep working on it.
"We need to improve in all areas - it's pretty simple. I don't think there is a perfect team in the world but we want to be as good as possible. We will work on this and it is a long season. We were much better than last season."
On whether Ruben Dias' 'goal' should have been disallowed: "It's a foul. There is not mnuch to say about it. It's pretty clear can't foul the goalkeeper and that’s what happened."

'A tough week - I am fine with a point'​

Liverpool
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaking to Match of the Day: "If we had played really well, we could have won. This is a really tough place to come and it is a not a coincidence they have won I don't know how many in a row at home. They are a super team.
"When we had our football moments, we immediately created [chances]. Did we do that often enough? No. Can we play better? Definitely. And we will. But for today, this was a super important experience for the group.
"It has been a tough week for the boys and then coming here to play a game against a team that really makes you suffer is not cool. It is difficult to stay in the game, but we had our moments and I like that a lot.
"It is a good point and I am absolutely fine with it."

NATHAN AKE TALKING TO SKY SPORTS 💬

"I think overall we played really well. It was a tough match – we knew it was going to be tough. We tried to keep the ball and be more calm than we were against Chelsea.
"Especially in this kind of game it’s [about] small margins. [For the first goal] we thought they were going to counter-attack and then we got the goal. In the second half it was the same - we had a chance with Erling and then they scored.
"Always in the counter-attack it’s difficult [against Liverpool]. Especially as defenders, we know Salah and Nunez are going to run at you. They have players like Trent who can put passes in the right areas, so it’s always difficult.
"We wanted to win. We had a lot of chances. We’re disappointed with only having one shot on target in the second half. In the end we’re a little disappointed."

'I am so proud' - Guardiola​

74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola speaking to Match of the Day: "That was an excellent performance. I am really proud that after eight years we are still playing that way. We were really good in all departments and needed to be against an incredible team.
"Maybe we missed the last pass a little bit but they defended really well. To concede just two shots on target against Liverpool is a big compliment for the way we work.
On Erling Haaland's goal: "It was really good and the action from Nathan [Ake] was perfect. We know the quality of Erling."

Manchester Evening News
player ratings

Man City: Ederson (8), Walker (7), Dias (8), Akanji (7), Ake (8), Rodri (7), Silva (8), Foden (6), Alvarez (5), Doku (6), Haaland (7).
I think the marks for Doku, Foden and Alvarez are a bit harsh. I think they all played their part. I will be interested in Colin’s view.

A sample of the comments on the BBC feed during the game on the disallowed goal…..

Mike: The other way round , that contact would never be a penalty.

David: City goal disallowed because Alison can't catch! He didn't have his hands on the ball, the ball went straight through them. Poor decision.

Chris: Why does Howard Webb want to stop light contact leading to soft penalties, but not care about light contact on goalkeepers that stops perfectly legitimate goals?

BBC

A tight game, where City were the better side, and should've won it, and I think the red scouse will be more than happy to have come away with the point.

With regard to the main talking point of the game, I thought the referee had given the goal - what did Sky say about it?
Everything I've read so far about it state that Alisson got away with it, and the goal should've stood - the VAR was Attwell, who was also in situ for the recent Newcastle-Arsenal debate.

Player performance wise, I thought Ake had a very good game against Salah, the defence as a whole did well, Rodri and Bernardo excellent, Akanji in the midfield support role did OK, but was guilty of a couple of sloppy underhit passes that gave Liverpool a sniff.

Foden, Alvarez, and Doku were a curious mixture of the good and banal. The latter got the stadium motm, created a glorious chance for Haaland to get the second, which was saved, and Liverpool promptly went up the other end to equalise. At other times he ran into blind alleys or was easily dispossessed.

There were also times where I felt the trio were weak in the challenge for the second ball.

A nice touch at HT - Etihad Airways are 20 years old, so they got a group of 20 year old season ticket holders on the field for a comp, where the prize was three nights in a 4 star hotel in Abu Dhabi.

All they had to do was think which of the two Etihad Airways flight attendant staff were holding the box displaying the winners tag, and stand behind them.

The group split 50/50, and the left hand side won, congratulations.
In the classic style, after comiserations to the losing group, their box was also opened. What do you think that displayed?

Such a tight game, we had plenty of half chances, but could only take one, so the inevitable happened and I am happy with the point.