Mail Scathing | Vital Football

Mail Scathing

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
I note the Mail journalist didn't pull any punches regarding Pools at Sutton. "Its one thing soaking up pressure but quite another inviting it". I guess the Pools midfield didnt see much of the ball in anything but defensive positions so could not start any counter attacks. To be fair to DC, he was without two regular midfielders, one of whom provides a goal threat, so I guess he had no option but to try something new which clearly didn't work out. A bit galling to have Richie Bennett lining up against us when he could have easily been lining up for us.

I think that what Tuesday night's result demonstrates is that, whilst Pools have a decent first team, once a couple of players are missing at the same time then the replacements aren't quite good enough. I was apprehensive once I saw the team sheet on Tuesday it was obvious that a change of formation was also going to be required due to the absences.

Pools have to move on and get a result on Saturday, hopefully with the return of Ferguson, Holohan, Shelton and Fela starting up front Pools will have too much for Oldham.

Hoping you are right, OP. Certainly Oldham will be a vastly different proposition from Sutton but they will be desperate for a win and if we cant score, we are always liable to let a goal in via an error. Watching the highlights on You Tube it is clear that the Sutton goal came from a goalkeeping cock up compounded by defenders reacting too slowly. To be fair if they hadn't scored then, they would have another time such was their dominance.
Sounds like Shelton will be back for Saturday but Holohan is very doubtful. Fingers crossed, but I cant say I am filled with optimism.

If it is only Holohan missing from the line up we can, perhaps, cope. It is when 2, or more, from the preferred line up are missing that the wheels come off.
Whilst the lack of a consistent goalscorer is problematic, the lack of obvious replacements in midfield and defence is also concerning - well to me anyway.

The Huddersfield loanee (forget his name) is promising but couldnt get the ball on Tuesday and neither could Mols. Smith does not seem all that good and was given a 4 out of 10 for his display by the mail reporter. As for defence, well we have 10 defenders at the club, thats all I'm saying.