Luton Home | Page 10 | Vital Football

Luton Home

The penalty shout in the first or second half?

Second one was a piss take, but first half watching the replay i thought it was, Williams grabbed the guy but the over dramatic fall probably made it look more a dive than the actual foul it was. Got away with that one!

Cornick i think is one of those players low on technical ability but never stops running and knows how to make the most of his limitations. I don't think he's ever going to be a natrual goal scorer but think he's doing well as part of the front 3 at Luton.

Don't think he'd be any good for us though as we only play 1 up front and that is generally isolated.

I think Izzy Brown for attacking mid would be a better one for us next season if Chelsea were looking to loan him out again or let him go. To be fair when i saw he went to Luton in the summer i did think why weren't we in there.

I suggest you watch that replay again KDZ. In my opinion the Luton player was already holding Williams hand and as he moved away tried to make it look like he was being pulled back. Not a penalty for me.

I suggest you watch that replay again KDZ. In my opinion the Luton player was already holding Williams hand and as he moved away tried to make it look like he was being pulled back. Not a penalty for me.

I've watched it back carefully looking for what you've said and i see what you mean. But their no.6 doesnt seem to have Williams hand when the run starts and is watching the ball throughout, while Williams stops looking at the ball and just looks at him when the hands are together. I think it would be harder for him to grab Williams hand as they are moving than Williams to grab his. I'd say it's a pull back and a penalty. Either way could easily have been given - if that was against us i'd have been screaming it was 'cast iron' for me that is one we got away with.

For anyone interested in the debate, replay of incident on about 18 seconds here:

It's been said we didn't do much pressing on Saturday but according to the stats they only had 40% possession, only made just over 200 passes and only 60% of those were completed. i.e. we had most of the ball and did most of the attacking with it and so didn't need to press or push up onto them as we were pushing forward with the ball. At least that's the way it seemed to me. We just lacked a cutting edge even though all of our attacking players were given a run out at some point.

I've watched it back carefully looking for what you've said and i see what you mean. But their no.6 doesnt seem to have Williams hand when the run starts and is watching the ball throughout, while Williams stops looking at the ball and just looks at him when the hands are together. I think it would be harder for him to grab Williams hand as they are moving than Williams to grab his. I'd say it's a pull back and a penalty. Either way could easily have been given - if that was against us i'd have been screaming it was 'cast iron' for me that is one we got away with.

For anyone interested in the debate, replay of incident on about 18 seconds here:

Nope, just watched it again and took particular note of the pushing and shoving before the ball was played. Their player clearly pushes Williams and then the hand holding starts but if you watch closely it is their player that drags Williams down, surely if Williams was the instigator he would release his hold and stay on his feet.

I agree though that if the roles were reversed I would be screaming for the penalty, although I believe given the ref's view I doubt we would have got one.

Nope, just watched it again and took particular note of the pushing and shoving before the ball was played. Their player clearly pushes Williams and then the hand holding starts but if you watch closely it is their player that drags Williams down, surely if Williams was the instigator he would release his hold and stay on his feet.

I agree though that if the roles were reversed I would be screaming for the penalty, although I believe given the ref's view I doubt we would have got one.

Goes to show how tough a refs job can be sometimes, if folks watching it on unlimited, slowed down, zoomed in replay see it differently. No amount of VAR can help on these ones where it's such a close call either way.

These are the calls i get going against us as it's a genuine tough one. The ones that do my head in are the things like Dunkley second yellow / red against Boro for a soft foul after we had a man brought down through on goal only got a yellow.

Yep, that was a very soft yellow and infuriating given what had happened down the other end.

I don't know if its just me but it appears the standard of refereeing in the championship this season has been atrocious, and not just in our games.

I really think the authorities need to get a grip on this.

Yep, that was a very soft yellow and infuriating given what had happened down the other end.

I don't know if its just me but it appears the standard of refereeing in the championship this season has been atrocious, and not just in our games.

I really think the authorities need to get a grip on this.

Whatever level we are at we say that every year!

I wouldn't mind VAR was supposed to solve this and it's been making decisions worse than the refs on occasion.

Think the nature of football is refs officiating will always be controversial.

Whatever level we are at we say that every year!

I wouldn't mind VAR was supposed to solve this and it's been making decisions worse than the refs on occasion.

Think the nature of football is refs officiating will always be controversial.

Its no wonder our refs aren't getting the big games in finals at World or Euro level when week in week out they are making big blunders.

There was a time when our refs were respected and sought after by the major competitions but I fear those days are gone and they are now on the periphery of these competitions.

One incident that comes to mind was Graham Poll giving a player three yellows in a game in the world cup in 2006. I know its a long time ago but other problems have happened since to other referees and the standard definitely seems on a downward spiral.

As far as VAR goes, the least said the better. It has caused more controversy than any referee could .