Legal action | Vital Football

Legal action

shotshy

Vital Champions League
Bury are considering legal action against the EFL in respect of their expulsion.

Blimey, it's catching.

If it ever gets to court and they even get reinstated how on earth are they going to play catch up with all these "suspended" matches?

If it ever gets to court and they even get reinstated how on earth are they going to play catch up with all these "suspended" matches?
I think that's the least of the problems. If it can be found that the EFL was/is inept in terms of what it could've done to stop this happening and is reformed and [say] becomes an independent body not controlled by league club chairmen then that can only be a good thing. The EFL knew for months that wages were not being paid and creditors were knocking at the door but said they'd done their fit-for-purpose tests etc.

If it turns out to be a landmark case - good - fixtures get cancelled and Bury get relegated on minus 12 points.

Is the club being liquidated yet?

Assuming that is the case, the club would cease to exist so wouldn’t be able to take any action in court.

Is the club being liquidated yet?

Assuming that is the case, the club would cease to exist so wouldn’t be able to take any action in court.
Is it the club that is taking action or a third party?If the club have the finance to take this action it would suggest they could complete their fixtures all be it with a very poor team.

Bury were given every chance to supply proof of solvency, or that a serious buyer was available. I except the EFL should have done more at an earlier date but it couldn't be left to drag on any longer.
The owner of Bury is another matter and I'd like him locked up and throw away the keys.
The supporters and backroom staff are the only innocent parties in all this.

Bury were given every chance to supply proof of solvency, or that a serious buyer was available. I except the EFL should have done more at an earlier date but it couldn't be left to drag on any longer.
The owner of Bury is another matter and I'd like him locked up and throw away the keys.
The supporters and backroom staff are the only innocent parties in all this.
You're confusing Bury the club, Bury the Company and the owner of Bury. It has been said that there were other offers but the EFL would not sanction any going ahead.

You're confusing Bury the club, Bury the Company and the owner of Bury. It has been said that there were other offers but the EFL would not sanction any going ahead.
I'm not confusing anything, it wasn't the EFL that prevented a takeover, it was the greed of the present owner.

I'm not confusing anything, it wasn't the EFL that prevented a takeover, it was the greed of the present owner.
You're confusing hearsay with fact. Yes there's no doubting that the current owner has many faults but he did not own the ground or at least have full title to it. The previous owner took out a loan on the ground and it was, I believe, the lender who asked for extortionate terms from C&N. None of which was helped by the EFL not allowing the buyer sufficient time to complete a thorough due diligence.

Just read about this on the BBC, it appears Bury made the EFL aware of a £7m bid (from a Brazillian pastor ?) before the 5pm deadline but it was basically ignored by them. It's all turning into a bit of a farce if true.

If the takeover makes them solvent again, they would probably be willing to play midweek games every week until Feb/March, knowing that they are relegation certainties but starting next season in League Two.

I am not sure how long it will take for a Brazilan Pastor to pass a fit and proper owner test but it is more important that he pumps enough money in to make them solvent.

I would think every other League One team would accommodate and support them, particularly Blackpool, as we could, or have been, in almost the same position and the fans are innocent victims. The other clubs would also all benefit from the home gate receipts.

The EFL have not covered themselves in glory in all of this but to suggest it was there fault Bury went under is a joke. Bury as a club, its owner and any potential buyer knew and has had plenty of time over the last few months to lodge their interest or for Dale to agree a sale. The fact that all these offers only came in within hours of the EFL says more about the owner and potential buyers than the EFL IMO.

Yes the EFL should have much more stringent owner checks in place, but Bury as a club, Dale as an owner and potential buyers all had plenty of time over the last few months to sort this and for whatever reason they didn't. Dales record with previous companies speak for itself IMO. Unfortunately its the innocent fans that suffer.

The EFL could not (and said they would not) let it go on any longer and let Bury miss another fixture. Sad, and if anyone watched the debate on Sky with Parkinson (spit) the other night, there may well be more clubs in trouble in the not to distant future.

Last edited:
The EFL have not covered themselves in glory in all of this but to suggest it was there fault Bury went under is a joke.
Very true but had the EFL raised alarms much, much earlier others, including the fans, would have been much more savvy about the situation.

The EFL could not (and said they would not) let it go on any longer and let Bury miss another fixture. Sad, and if anyone watched the debate on Sky with Parkinson (spit) the other night, there may well be more clubs in trouble in the not to distant future.
The EFL is aware I'm sure but it's not their responsibility [they say].

Dales record with previous companies speak for itself IMO. Unfortunately its the innocent fans that suffer.
But he didn't break the law [companies Act] but the EFL should have had criteria in place to bar asset strippers from being members of the EFL.