L2 Miles Next Season | Vital Football

L2 Miles Next Season

Vambogills

Vital Football Hero
Having accepted we need to have another crack at escaping this grim division, I've been looking at who might be joining and leaving us in May.
It doesn't read well if you don't like travelling hundreds of miles from Priestfield for your footy awayday fix.
Carlisle are already down from L1 with possibly only Burton that is a decent trip potentially joining them. One of Colchester or Sutton looks certain to drop out to be replaced by Chesterfield plus one of a host of northern clubs currently in the playoffs of the National League.
Can't see it being anything but extra costs for travelling Gills fans in 24/25

Having accepted we need to have another crack at escaping this grim division, I've been looking at who might be joining and leaving us in May.
It doesn't read well if you don't like travelling hundreds of miles from Priestfield for your footy awayday fix.
Carlisle are already down from L1 with possibly only Burton that is a decent trip potentially joining them. One of Colchester or Sutton looks certain to drop out to be replaced by Chesterfield plus one of a host of northern clubs currently in the playoffs of the National League.
Can't see it being anything but extra costs for travelling Gills fans in 24/25
Rooting for Bromley. Will be able to walk to a Gills match. :giggle:

Annoyingly Cambridge seem to have (for the 2nd successive season) put together a little run at the back end which ought to keep them safe, looks very much to be 4 of the bottom 5 coming down from League One now, with Carlisle a certainty as you say and pretty much nailed on to be joined by Fleetwood, so about as bad as it could get from a travel point of view! Then two of Cheltenham, Burton and Vale - I'd probably take the first two as a preference personally, I think Vale would be more of a threat. Losing Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield as a top three wouldn't be bad at all, and if Barrow could win the play-offs then that would probably be the best outcome and balance out pretty well overall.

I was hoping Grimsby would join FGR in the bottom two of our league but they've picked up a few points lately, Colchester have a few games in hand on Sutton who realistically look like the ones to be dropping at this moment in time which is a bit of a shame. Could easily be Sutton and Colchester to drop though as FGR aren't that far behind either!

Bromley, Barnet or Aldershot would be fine up through the play-offs, but in my view the best two sides currently in the play-off picture are Altrincham and Gateshead which is a bit of a worry! Even though it's personally the closest of all the play-off challengers, I really don't want Solihull up - it's a really poor ground with nothing around it. Chesterfield is what it is, but it's not that tricky to get to at least.

...but in my view the best two sides currently in the play-off picture are Altrincham and Gateshead which is a bit of a worry!

Alty were my second team when I lived in Manchester a decade ago, I went to watch them regularly to get my live football fix.

Moss Lane very much reminded me of Priestfield pre-redevelopment, a decent covered terrace home end, open terrace away end with a smallish old school main stand.

The home fans used to make a cracking atmosphere on the covered terrace, the beer in the clubhouse was cheap and good quality and literally opposite was one of the best chippies I've ever visited.

I definitely wouldn't object if they made it into the league.

Alty were my second team when I lived in Manchester a decade ago, I went to watch them regularly to get my live football fix.

Moss Lane very much reminded me of Priestfield pre-redevelopment, a decent covered terrace home end, open terrace away end with a smallish old school main stand.

The home fans used to make a cracking atmosphere on the covered terrace, the beer in the clubhouse was cheap and good quality and literally opposite was one of the best chippies I've ever visited.

I definitely wouldn't object if they made it into the league.
Very true, it's got a lot of similarities to the old Priestfield - I hadn't really thought about that til now! I found the people there very pleasant as well, a decent atmosphere and a side playing good football.

Just ANOTHER club that's in the Manchester orbit, we have plenty of those already!

Very true, it's got a lot of similarities to the old Priestfield - I hadn't really thought about that til now! I found the people there very pleasant as well, a decent atmosphere and a side playing good football.

Just ANOTHER club that's in the Manchester orbit, we have plenty of those already!

I got to tick off a lot of grounds following Gills when I lived there, just passed my driving test and made solo trips to the likes of Oldham (absolutely freezing - lost twice), Rochdale, Bury (lost 5-4), Accrington and Macclesfield, plus convinced mates to come up for Morecambe, Bradford and Blackpool.

TBH, if the weather wasn't so awful and it was so far back to Kent to see relatives we'd probably still be there, fantastic area of the country.

I'd like to see a late collapse from Shrewsbury - would be far and away my best chance of making it to an away game next season. Where I am, everything is 4-5 hours away by car or train at a minimum. Solihull winning the playoffs would be good too.

Potential move on the cards up to W. Yorkshire if things go right, though, in which case everything looks a lot easier

Last edited:

But we’ve lost Oldham, Rochdale and Bury from the Manchester areas to balance things out

As usual I’d be happy with a lot of what I say below, but only if they’re not midweek!

Fleetwood, Morecambe and Barrow are three awful trips. You can make a nice weekend (depending on where you stay!) but the travel is such a ballache. You only want so many ‘nice weekends’ too!

Carlisle actually feels slightly less of an ordeal by comparison although I wouldn’t like to rely on the 5.30pm or so last Avanti back to London!

Always up for Manchester so happy with Altrincham and Salford. Yes please for Gateshead or Halifax. Both new, both near decent towns to stay. Harrogate on a proper Saturday please, I want to stay in York this time.

Barnet is local but the stadium looks so lifeless. Happy with Bromley going up though.

Drinking: Port Vale I’ll take for selfish reasons given I’ve not tried Titanic’s taproom nearby, plus the one in the station. Burton more than happy with. Happy with Cheltenham too (Deya!).

Chesterfield’s not bad to get to and the town itself (not the bit by the stadium) is good. Them and Notts County.

I like the shout of Shrewsbury falling down, mainly because I’ve not properly been drinking there.

Trev - Titanic, you have to be joking. It's like drinking engine oil 😳
Ah but is it like drinking plum-flavoured engine oil? Or caramel or toffee-flavoured engine oil? They’re proper drinks!

Titanic Plum Porter (particularly the grand reserve version) or Theakston’s Old Peculier. Cracking beers!

Pfffft! Nothing decent for me.

Welsh teams in our Div, so why can’t we add some Aussie or Kiwi sides. A trip to Perth to play the Glory would be good. Only a 6 hour flight from here. Or Wellington, 4 hour flight the other way (if you can get a rare direct flight). Get it sorted Scally!
What wouldn't we give for a strike force of Taggart and Bennie :please: