Just asking. | Vital Football

Just asking.

aussie1

Vital Squad Member
As I have been away from Blackpool shores for over 35 years, does the late Saturday evening "Green" sports newspaper still exist? If not, when did it cease production? :tophat:

Crikey Aussie, it used to be the 'pink paper' when I was a lad for the Saturday evening reports....

Thanks Bobby Boy. If I remember correctly they did have "The" Pink" but that was produced in Manchester by the Manchester Evening News. "The Green" was produced by the Blackpool Evening Gazette and delivered to newsagents between 5.30 and 6.30p.m. on Saturdays for pick up only. The questions still stand.

Feck me!! You would think I was as old as Prem1or Donkey Lasher but I bet they can give us the answers.

Don't stop the tram- I want to stay on until the ultimate terminus. :grins:

W
aussie1 - 23/8/2016 07:54

Thanks Bobby Boy. If I remember correctly they did have "The" Pink" but that was produced in Manchester by the Manchester Evening News. "The Green" was produced by the Blackpool Evening Gazette and delivered to newsagents between 5.30 and 6.30p.m. on Saturdays for pick up only. The questions still stand.

Feck me!! You would think I was as old as Prem1or Donkey Lasher but I bet they can give us the answers.

Don't stop the tram- I want to stay on until the ultimate terminus. :grins:
Half right,the Grreen was produced by the Gazette,the Pink was the Lancashire Evening Post,,,,,,,,Pool Green.....P.N.E.Pink.... :tup:

The nobbers got the right colour then!! ::D:

But what happened to "The Green." ??

:drunk:

The Green meant so much to me as a teenager exiled in a boarding school that made Tom Brown's Schooldays look idyllic. My Uncle Frank used to post me his copy. It usually arrived on a Tuesday and would be avidly devoured word by word. Even when we lost I would imagine every time the woodwork was struck or we had a goal disallowed what might have been. It was amazing in the days of print technology how we could buy it on the walk home from the match. I still get a flood of memories whenever I glimpse a green newspaper.

It died due to lack of sales,and other media T.V. etc plus the Gazette got taken over by the Post,discontinued mid 70s....

It died due to lack of sales,and other media T.V. etc plus the Gazette got taken over by the Post,discontinued mid 70s....

Green Un- however did they get that paper out by 5.15pm?

Used to stop on the services from away games to pick up the local evening paper - was the first time you knew another teams score if you missed JAG on R2.

used to love going to my nans to read The Sunday Post, as well as the comic centre Pool always seemed to feature as a BIG club