Josh does it again... | Vital Football

Josh does it again...

Spursex

Alert Team
European U21 Championship News

England U21 3-1 Scotland U21: Josh Onomah, Tammy Abraham and Dominic Solanke on target for Young Lions
By Michael Hincks

Last Updated: 07/10/17 7:48am

The Young Lions put in a dominant display in their Euro 2019 qualifier against Scotland

England U21s put in an assured performance to overcome Scotland U21s 3-1 in their Euro 2019 Qualifier on Friday night.

Tottenham's Josh Onomah - currently on loan at Aston Villa - sent England on their way at the Riverside Stadium with a brilliantly improvised volley from 30-yards out after 14 minutes.

England had plenty of chances to go further ahead, and it was Tammy Abraham who doubled their lead from the penalty spot four minutes into the second half.

Chris Cadden gave Scotland hope late on (79), but Dominic Solanke scored just 63 seconds later to put the game to bed.
Josh Onomah's stunning half-volley sent England on their way
Josh Onomah's stunning half-volley sent England on their way

New York City FC's Jack Harrison, who paid his own way over from the USA, made a late appearance off the bench as England moved top of Group Four.
Player ratings

England U21: Gunn (6), Walker-Peters (6), Gomez (6), Fry (6), Alexander-Arnold (6), Cook (7), Gray (8), Onomah (8), Calvert-Lewin (8), Solanke (7), Abraham (8)

Subs: Kenny (6), Lookman (6), Harrison (N/A)

Scotland U21: Fulton (7), Smith (6), Taylor (6), Souttar (5), McKenna (6), Campbell (6), Mallan (6), Thomas (5), Cadden (6), Morgan (5), Burke (5)

Subs: McBurnie (6), Williamson (6), Docherty (6)

Man of the match: Josh Onomah

Scotland offered very little in the first half as England dominated proceedings from the off, and it took the Young Lions just 14 minutes to go ahead.

A headed clearance found its way to Onomah 30-yards out, and the 20-year-old chested it down before looping a stunning half-volley over Ryan Fulton.

Moments later, Abraham got the slightest of touches onto Dominic Calvert-Lewin's cross but it glanced the outside of the post.
Team news

Middlesbrough-born Dael Fry started for the Young Lions at his home ground, while New York City FC's Jack Harrison was named among the substitutes.
West Brom's Oliver Burke captained Scotland, who handed a debut to Allan Campbell.

Abraham was among the chances once more as Liam Smith blocked his effort on the line, while Solanke headed wide just before the break.
Tammy Abraham scored England's second goal from the spot at the Riverside Stadium

England went two-goals clear shortly after half-time, with Abraham picking himself up to coolly roll in the spot-kick after being fouled by John Souttar.

Scotland did manage to pull one back as Cadden stole in behind the England defence, but the hosts netted their third just one minute later as Abraham slid one over for Solanke to tap in.

Man of the match - Josh Onomah

The Spurs loanee got the ball rolling with a terrific half-volley in the first half, but it was the midfielder's vision throughout which put Scotland under threat.

The 20-year-old cut a composed figure in the middle of the park, and that allowed England's vibrant attack to impress in Middlesbrough.

Thanks for posting this Spursex. I agree. Probably could have done with some in the full squad to raise the tempo (and skill levels) somewhat. Great goal from Onomah. Reports said it was a half-volley but it clearly was a volley. Very difficult skill perfectly executed. Great run from KWP in that clip showing great pace and control.

Harry-Kari - 7/10/2017 17:19

Thanks for posting this Spursex. I agree. Probably could have done with some in the full squad to raise the tempo (and skill levels) somewhat. Great goal from Onomah. Reports said it was a half-volley but it clearly was a volley. Very difficult skill perfectly executed. Great run from KWP in that clip showing great pace and control.
The ball hit the ground before he kicked it, does that not make it a half volley?

I’ve always thought a half-volley is where the ball is kicked just as it meets the ground. In this case it bounced up high and I think he hit it on the way down making it a volley for me.

He needs to step it up a bit with Villa for the rest of the season now, I know he's done well and his start had been hampered bya couple of injuries - but if he can take the positives from yet another MOM performance and kick on with Villa then he'll have a great chance of being a long term member of our squad;

He still needs to improve his work-rate for me and his composure in front of goal (where he still tends to snatch a bit for me) - he had a great chance to score a second and a much easier chance at that too, and frankly fluffed it - apart from that he really was the English player who set the tempo and created so much of our good moves.

Spursex - 9/10/2017 10:44

He needs to step it up a bit with Villa for the rest of the season now, I know he's done well and his start had been hampered bya couple of injuries - but if he can take the positives from yet another MOM performance and kick on with Villa then he'll have a great chance of being a long term member of our squad;

He still needs to improve his work-rate for me and his composure in front of goal (where he still tends to snatch a bit for me) - he had a great chance to score a second and a much easier chance at that too, and frankly fluffed it - apart from that he really was the English player who set the tempo and created so much of our good moves.

Agree with all of this Ex. I wonder if he has the drive to make it with us. Does he have the passion?

whiteghost - 9/10/2017 11:42

Spursex - 9/10/2017 10:44

Agree with all of this Ex. I wonder if he has the drive to make it with us. Does he have the passion?

I've known his Dad, less so him for a good few years - he absolutely has the passion, but sometimes I suspect he gets frustrated too easily when he doesn't play the way he wants to - I still maintain he generally needs toughening up - I think we made a massive error not sending him out on loan last season, two or three seasons at a lower level could well have made him into a second 'Alli' in humble opinion - but he's been kicking his heels rather than playing the mans game in my view which had blunted his progress.

Josh again draws praise. Villa fans love him. Put in another good performance for 90 minutes. Bruce wants to sign him and would break the bank to do so.

Seems his loan is working. So what should we do ?

Greavswasthegreatest - 21/10/2017 19:52

let him go he is championship quality not PL

he has found his comfort zone

If you'd been watching Alli for his first couple of seasons, you would have said just that - which is why so many scouts looked him over and said, 'no thanks'...

It's utterly impossible to know who a young player will develop until he gets game after game after game of competitive football - yet, already there are pundits galore saying he's too good for the championship....

let's see what his season ends up like, as at the moment, I'm being told we're having him back for next season....

He has been showing strength on the ball and putting in tackles . We know he has pace already, his passing looks pretty good releasing early and setting up one two's. He seems to be operating box to box which makes sense although Poch tended to play him further up I think in the limited minutes he got.

Bruce is no mug and Terry although no favourite of mine may impart some wisdom on the lad.

Steve Bruce admits Aston Villa cannot sign this talented midfielder
By
Eshlin Vedan -
October 23, 2017

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has seemingly acknowledged that his club will not be able to sign youngster Josh Onomah on a permanent basis.

Since joining the Villains from Tottenham during the summer, Onomah has impressed and delivered a man of the match performance during the clubs 2-1 victory over Fulham on Saturday.

The youngster was sent to Villa in order to get more experience and to prove to the Spurs hierarchy that he is worthy of being granted opportunities at the club and judging by the way that he is playing, it is unlikely that his parent club would want to let him go.

Speaking after his sides win against the Cottagers, Bruce said: “Josh was terrific today and he’s only 20 years of age. We’ll try and break the bank for him but Spurs have got a very good player there.”

Onomah was restored to the Villa lineup in place of Keinan Davis and the win will be a morale boost for the Villains following their defeat to Wolves during their previous match.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-analysis-exceptional-josh-13795254

The man who made the difference

From start to finish Josh Onomah was exceptional.

He made a blistering start to the game, winning the ball and setting Kodjia free before linked up well with his attacking partner in the box.

Then came his own efforts on goal, forcing David Button to save with his CHEST in this first half.

But it was his sliding tackles, vital interceptions, tracking of runners and closing down that helped Villa thrive.

It was fitting for him to set up Adomah for the winning game, too.

maybe Taricco, but you then risk him feeling more at home there if he's come up with them and then performs in the prem. Would love to see him have a season in the prem at another club though