Its alright to gloat | Vital Football

Its alright to gloat

Dougie Banks

Vital Newbie
The much-maligned Wigan Athletic. How often have we heard comments such as "they have no fans, no history, rugby town"? But the envious opposing fans who aim these comments forget to add that this unfashionable club that is tucked away inbetween the giants of Merseyside and Manchester happens to be also a very successful club. A club that is without doubt the most successful since the turn of this century in amongst the teams they have played against in the league they have just competed in. Not only in division one but also a majority of championship clubs have had far less success than the Latics have had in the last 22 years.

Its time for us fans to have a gloat, and to keep reminding the likes of Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Ipswich etc. "Just think how good the latics would be if we did have fans, history. And we didnt have to share a town with a rugby club.

The clubs mentioned are obviously special to their fans. But Wigan Athletic is special to their fans also. And just to remind certain latics followers that being a "happy clapper fan" is better than "not" being a fan at all.

Someone's had one too many down the Anvil.
Success:
in the last 22 yrs, 4 promotions, 8 successive seasons prem league, 2 major domestic finals, winning one. 1 charity shield appearance, 1 season competed in europe. and to round it up nicely, one season battle with admin. Name me one other present day EFL club to better that success. And all remembered without the help of a pint.
And it as to be said that this is little Wigan I am talking about.

Success:
in the last 22 yrs, 4 promotions, 8 successive seasons prem league, 2 major domestic finals, winning one. 1 charity shield appearance, 1 season competed in europe. and to round it up nicely, one season battle with admin. Name me one other present day EFL club to better that success. And all remembered without the help of a pint.
And it as to be said that this is little Wigan I am talking about.

When you compare that with the previous 22 years starting from when we entered the FL , quite remarkable!!