Is GT really fit again? | Vital Football

Is GT really fit again?

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
I ask the question because we all thought he looked overweight last season and was missing the oomph he used to have. The odd still and video I have seen of the Tenerife training camp appear to show a slimmed down version of the GT we last saw play.....

A properly fit again GT would be like a new signing.

Having seen yesterday's magpies game via RamsTV, the big question is............. where the hell was GT?

We knew Kechi, Olsson, Coldplay and Vyds were out injured. Carson apparently picked up a knock in training on Friday. Of the rest of the squad we saw them all EXCEPT Thorne.

Anyone know why?

Thorn injured...... Gosh!!

Yes, as was Carson. Nothing serious, just a "not take a risk" knocks. I don't get the apparent anti Thorne stuff we see on "social" media. GT has had 3 serious injuries. Two torn ACLs and a double break of his leg following a horrendous attack by an Ipswich defender. He was out over a year. It is generally accepted in footballing circles that a year out with a serious injury generally means another year after that getting properly fit.

Hughes wasn't himself in the season following the one he missed due to the knee injury at Bolton. Took him a third of the season after that at Watford to reach full fitness and effectiveness. Following 2 goals in 2 games....... another injury.

Bryson injured in the same match as Hughes. Had a year out. Poor the season after. Loaned to Cardiff the season after. He looked his old self again against Notts.

GT. His layoff was even longer than Hughes or Bryson as he got an infection in the break just to further complicate matters. Last season he was less mobile, probably due to being over weight. That latter problem appears to have been dealt with. He may well require some of this season as well to properly get back in the groove. Those are facts of post injury life. I don't buy the injury prone tag. Especially the double leg break.

I’d love you to be right about Thorne, MA...a fit GT is a good addition to any squad, but I think he’s appeared in only around 100 club games in the last nine seasons.
As we know at Derby, many of those appearances have been for far less than 90 mins...I’d love him to succeed but, badly broken leg aside, I reckon that record does suggest he’s pretty ‘injury prone’.

Last edited:
The constant "injury prone" crap. Two ACL's. it can happen. Broken leg caused by an Ipswich thug? Premeditated IMO. The infection? Shit happens.
You asked, I answered.
I agree with what you're saying MA but George Thorne is injury prone. Not his fault and shit does happen but he is prone to injury.

Some players work out for a club and some don't, I think it's time for us to get rid, also a new club might do him good!
I wish him well, whatever happens.

I’m with MoP...words rarely spoken and possibly your most remarkable achievement to date ‘Amster! ;)

Last edited:
Latest Rams News