International player | Vital Football

International player

Match cancelled against Charlton. How many and who of our players away. No official announcement, so I am guessing Sam, Mcguiness, Assagard, Hughes, Adeeko

Magennis on international duty. Have the people who chose that squad seen him play? Same could be said about the rest other than Tickle and Chambers. Shaw doesn't even get a game.
Jordan Jones? He has had a pretty decent season. Would been even better if his position of a left wing player hadn't been tinkered with.

Good for them, I reckon they'll be made up with the call ups it will give them a chance to play some decent football for a week or so.

There are 9 of the 12 fixtures from this weekend called off due to one of the sides involved having 3 international call ups.

If it was only 1 or 2 games then i'd say fair enough but the majority of L1 fixtures have to be rescheduled every international weekend - it's just stupid why can't we just have an international break built in like the Championship.

Rearranging fixtures is not in the best interest of the clubs or the fans - so why not just avoid this issue in the first place?

There are 9 of the 12 fixtures from this weekend called off due to one of the sides involved having 3 international call ups.

If it was only 1 or 2 games then i'd say fair enough but the majority of L1 fixtures have to be rescheduled every international weekend - it's just stupid why can't we just have an international break built in like the Championship.

Rearranging fixtures is not in the best interest of the clubs or the fans - so why not just avoid this issue in the first place?

That's probably not a bad idea, might give teams not affected, chance to move games from midweek to a Saturday. For example this weekend, if Charlton and Burton didn't have sufficient internationals to call off games and they were due to play each other in a midweek, they could have played it this weekend. More fans turn up, better for all concerned

Last edited:
That's probably not a bad idea, might give teams not affected, chance to move games from midweek to a Saturday. For example this weekend, if Charlton and Burton didn't have sufficient internationals to call off games and they were due to play each other in a midweek, they could have played it this weekend. More fans turn up, better for all concerned

Absolutely.

Even those clubs without 3 internationals still end up having to reschedule games constantly as their opponents often do.

Everyone know Saturday kick offs are financially more lucrative than mid weeks due to higher attendances and in this league where revenue is tight it's even more important. But due to pure coincidence of how many of your home fixtures fall on international weekends you could end up losing quite a lot of revenue that was pencilled into budgets. Obviously if we had international breaks built in there would still be the same amount of mid week games but at least the fixture calendar could ensure everyone is getting an equal number of Saturday home fixtures that won't move. Which is better for fans and clubs.

The current way of doing things was based on the fact very few L1 sides had 3 or more international players but that's no longer the case and they need to change to reflect that.

Why not just have international games in midweek then no postponed games. Why not call games off for senior games only or let the junior games be played midweek?
Like everything nowadays there won't be any compromise like this shite decision of having five substitutions.

Why not just have international games in midweek then no postponed games. Why not call games off for senior games only or let the junior games be played midweek?
Like everything nowadays there won't be any compromise like this shite decision of having five substitutions.

Personally i'd love it if they scrapped all international mid season games and just played them all in one block at the end of the season with no disruption to the clubs. But unfortunately that's not going to happen.

The calendar needs tweaking. Pointless scheduling league fixtures for this break. Certainly the first two autumn ones they could use them to schedule some papa johns fixtures - higher attendances than midweek fixtures and would give more credibility to the tournament. The November one I would use for the FA Cup 1st round and I’d make the 2nd round a midweek fixture. This March one then have the Papa Johns final.

Unfortunately the new TV deal kicks in next season which will mean even more fixtures moved from a Saturday. I’m not sure the marginal tv revenue uplift will make up the shortfall for lost commercial and ticket sale revenues for L1/2 clubs.

The calendar needs tweaking. Pointless scheduling league fixtures for this break. Certainly the first two autumn ones they could use them to schedule some papa johns fixtures - higher attendances than midweek fixtures and would give more credibility to the tournament. The November one I would use for the FA Cup 1st round and I’d make the 2nd round a midweek fixture. This March one then have the Papa Johns final.

Unfortunately the new TV deal kicks in next season which will mean even more fixtures moved from a Saturday. I’m not sure the marginal tv revenue uplift will make up the shortfall for lost commercial and ticket sale revenues for L1/2 clubs.

I like the idea of putting Papa Johns games on international weekends. Most fans want a Saturday game and most clubs wont play their strongest side anyway so that's a nice compromise.