Interesting Article Here... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Interesting Article Here...

I've read that, but years ago. Not regarded as the most reliable source, I believe, so I'd probably want some other corroboration.
Fair do's, that's the place I read it from. Shame the book is classed as unreliable it was a good read. What's the story behind it being unreliable?

Fair do's, that's the place I read it from. Shame the book is classed as unreliable it was a good read. What's the story behind it being unreliable?

I can give two examples off the top of my head - he describes midfield schemer Billy Taylor (1970) as a left winger and makes a comment about David Kennedy (1971) not scoring many goals as a striker - well he wouldn't do as he was a centre half who never played as a striker.

I'd have to go through it again to come up with anything else, but the thing is when you find mistakes about City's history for a period you know about it makes you wonder whether there are mistakes for the times you don't have personal knowledge of.

I can give two examples off the top of my head - he describes midfield schemer Billy Taylor (1970) as a left winger and makes a comment about David Kennedy (1971) not scoring many goals as a striker - well he wouldn't do as he was a centre half who never played as a striker.

I'd have to go through it again to come up with anything else, but the thing is when you find mistakes about City's history for a period you know about it makes you wonder whether there are mistakes for the times you don't have personal knowledge of.
That's a pity. Hopefully the older stuff was direct lifts from newspaper articles of the time. I know a lot of our club records from the early days were lost in a fire to one of the stands.

I vaguely remembered some errors in 'Past Imperfect' about the 1987/88 Conference season and have just had a look:

Pre-season signing Les Hunter is described as a midfielder (he was a centre half), and Paul Smith is called a 'left-sided striker'. Makes you wonder if he knew anything about Paul Smith. That's in the space of two pages. Three pages later, in describing the final game of the season against Wycombe he mentions John McGinley going off injured and says: "...his replacement, Clarke, delivered the 22nd minute corner which Sertori bundled into the net". In fact it was Sertori who replaced McGinley.

To be fair, it's not as if the book was completely full of errors like this but it is disconcerting, and as I said, makes you wonder if there are other mistakes you can't identify.

Three pages later, in describing the final game of the season against Wycombe he mentions John McGinley going off injured and says: "...his replacement, Clarke, delivered the 22nd minute corner which Sertori bundled into the net". In fact it was Sertori who replaced McGinley.
He hardly bundled it into the net either - it was a deliberate back header.

My other half bought me a Lincoln City quiz book as a stocking filler, and that is riddled with embarrassing errors too. For instance, did you know that Lincoln's record defeat is 13-0 to Peterborough United? Or that our youngest ever player is Andy Hutchinson (17 years, 32 days)? Unfortunately, I could go on.

Talking of earlier rules from a previous age, am I right in thinking that Derby(?) once scored against us by their team surrounding their player who had the ball, and then advanced with it all the way into our goal, with our players completely unable to get to the ball ?
And that some sort of obstruction rule was brought in afterwards ?
Was this the same as the 'scrimmage' which is often credited instead of a goalscorer in the very early days?

Was this the same as the 'scrimmage' which is often credited instead of a goalscorer in the very early days?

Umm really not sure. I don't think so, I think this was a different "method" if indeed it did happen.
And if it did and it was against Derby, then it could have been FA Cup tie February 1902 at Sincil Bank.

Scrimmage...I've seen that listed in old goalscorers...and I think definition is basically a goalmouth scramble as we may say nowadays, and no one was sure who scored, least of all the press. Perhaps Chris Ashton remembers such goals?