Hopes for next season? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Hopes for next season?

If we stay up.... I would not be surprised if Cook is moved out in favour of the new owners man, whoever that may be.

If we go down.... Cook will stay in charge and be tasked with another promotion.

In either case I would expect to see:
- Callum Lang becoming a regular squad player to meet the home grown quota
- A significant rebuild of the squad, at least one new striker, complete rebuild of central midfield replacing Powell, Morsy and Gibson, 3 new full backs, a centre back and 2 new keepers.

Regarding the squad rebuild - about 13 of our players are likely to be leave or go back to their parent club in the summer leaving us without only about 15 or so players so whoever is in charge will need to bring in quite a few and should have plenty of room to work with after so many names and some of the bigger earners will be off the wage bill. IEC said money we didn't spend in Janaury will be available too so I'm also expecting major changes. I'd expect us to pretty much sign a new player in every position.

All right guys. Thought I’d put this February thread back up to the top so maybe we can talk about expectations for next season. I know this is dependent on signings/who we lose, but I always think it’s exciting to talk about a fresh start, and I do think we have good cause to be excited for the next campaign.

My personal belief is that we’ll have a relatively uneventful campaign, finishing in mid-table. Our form will remain relatively constant throughout the season, and we’ll never really be in danger of relegation, or realistic contenders for the playoffs. A little like Brentford, Swansea, Stoke etc have been this season.

I’d be very happy with this, to be honest.

I just want to watch us compete week in week out maybe top half with a little nudge of excitement near the playoff positions .
We are capable and with PC having a championship season under his belt he now knows what we need .
I am expecting some well thought out signings of players we need with a mix of youth and experience and all done early ready for pre season training .
What we have done with RJ will stand us in good stead with Chelsea and i believe they have some outstanding youngsters ..

It's impossible to make any prediction at the moment - it depends who we sign, who our manager is, who the opposition sign and who their managers are.

I think we are likely to head into the new season as one of the favourites to go down, we're going to have to sign a lot of new players, there is no Bolton who you know were almost certain to go down due to off field troubles and we have no promotion momentum to ride to a good start - so i think on paper this next season will likely be a much tougher one for us heading in.

I have one hope and expectation and that is this season i want us to give it our best every game - work hard, battle and go for the win in all not just some of our matches. If they give us the effort, intensity and bravery every week and we can't complain no matter how the results go - although i am certain results will take care of themselves if you do that. I am hoping the complacency that nearly killed us has been kicked out of us but it wouldn't shock me if it maybe even makes it worse in the long run. Time will tell.

Assuming we stay up, where would you guys predict we will be in the Championship this time next year? And if you think we’ll go down where in League 1 do you think we’ll be? I think we’ll stay up and be around 12th.
Consolidate and build has to be the aim. Mid-table with an outside chance of a play-off run would seem feasible given our home form this season - as long as we can solve that away form!

I don't want mid table security. That is boring. I would much rather have the excitement and intensity of promotion or relegation and games that mean something right up to the seasons finale. Therefore I hope that we have a successful season and are pushing for the play offs, however it will very much depend on the transfer window and what IEC decide to spend. Very much a case of wait and see for me.

I'll take hovering around mid table without ever really being in the mix at either end. I'll take having peaks and troughs in form throughout the season which may see us go on extended runs of good or bad results. I'll take us beating some teams that are better than us and losing to some teams that are worse than us, I'll take us being beaten easily by teams that are better than us, I'll take us winning comfortably against teams that are worse than us and I'll take anything else that happens to happen, hopefully without me getting too upset or depressed, too carried away or euphoric or too anything at all. Boring comfortable mediocrity will do me nicely - for a season. Oh, and I'd like some sort of cup run / giant killing just for the fun of it.

Relegation and promotion make being a football fan more exciting, but relegtion every couple of seasons is disasterous for the football clubs financial health.

Midtable mediocrity every season with no chance to go up or down would get very boring after a season or two for us Latics fans used to a never ending rollercoaster but the reality of football finances mean what is most exciting is detrimental to clubs long term health.

As horrible as the last 2 relegations were the 2 promotions kind of made them worth it from an enjoyment perspective - but if we had to swop those highs and lows for 4 years of stability floating in midtable in the champ would you take it? It depends on if you are thinking about the clubs wellbeing or a fans enjoyment. It's hard as ultimately our clubs long term survivial and peak of success probably means sitting lower midtable in the Prem with drastically less drama and thrills and spills.

Mid table 'mediocrity' will do me fine next year. I don't understand why it wouldn't be enjoyable as it would mean we are winning games at this level against good teams. It would mean we are stabilising and building a solid foundation for the future. Yep give me that guarantee and I'll take it now.

Relegation and promotion make being a football fan more exciting, but relegtion every couple of seasons is disasterous for the football clubs financial health.

Midtable mediocrity every season with no chance to go up or down would get very boring after a season or two for us Latics fans used to a never ending rollercoaster but the reality of football finances mean what is most exciting is detrimental to clubs long term health.

As horrible as the last 2 relegations were the 2 promotions kind of made them worth it from an enjoyment perspective - but if we had to swop those highs and lows for 4 years of stability floating in midtable in the champ would you take it? It depends on if you are thinking about the clubs wellbeing or a fans enjoyment. It's hard as ultimately our clubs long term survivial and peak of success probably means sitting lower midtable in the Prem with drastically less drama and thrills and spills.

Call me greedy, I want the fans enjoyment you talk about KDZ. Mid table mediocrity is for wimps. :cup::party:

Yearn for the excitement......... would settle for the mediocrity (for a season).

God knows what would happen to this forum though, with little to whinge about.
?

Progress from this season - so at a basic level more points but I guess you could also add a better away record, more goals scored, less goals conceded & a higher league position
I think the most any club's supporters can ask is progress year on year & no-one at any club should look to just tread water

I'd be more than happy with mid table obscurity. 10th-14th is a realistic goal for a second season if we make 3-4 astute signings, which I'd much prefer to the mass exodus' of 10+ arrivals and departures respectively that we've seen in previous summer windows. We have a strong foundation for the squad, so just a handful of quality signings will push us on nicely.

Much more important for next season for me is giving opportunities to the quality youngsters we have coming through. I don't expect them to be starting week in week out, but I'd like to see some first team minutes for Gelhardt and Weir in particular.

Developing the young talent we already have is going to be our passport back to the Premier League (if we ever do it), since we can't compete financially in this division for the already established talent that the likes of Leeds, Wednesday, Villa and clubs that size can afford to bring in. As such, we have to be brave enough to give the youngsters the opportunities and experience, even in the knowledge that they're highly unlikely to make massive contributions straight away at such a young age. We invest in them now to reap the rewards in 3-4 years' time (2 years if they settle at this level particularly quickly)

Give me mid table obscurity and visible development of our young talent, and I'll be a very happy boy this time next year.

I think a home record similar to this season with a few more away wins would be progress to build on and give us a comfortable mid-table finish.
With that we could then start to push for play-offs in two or three years.
All exciting stuff being in a promotion chase but we would be over stretching ourselves and need to build slowly in order to help maintain things