Harris | Page 3 | Vital Football

Harris

The one thing I always noticed about Neil Harris is that he always found a way to deflect criticism and blame others for any situation, defeats, leadership, players etc etc.
Actually, I can't recall him ever calling out another individual either. Could you give an example of this "deflection" of blame and who he deflected it on to? Link? I can't recall him even saying we were unlucky when we lost all that often.

They (Managers and players) all lost together in the first part of 2022-23 and they all took credit for the turnaround in the second part, as far as I could see.

The worst I can remember was when he bemoaned the lack of leadership after the Grimsby game and even then the quote was "We have to find that within ourselves, whether that comes from me as a manager or comes from the dressing room"

Considering managers have to field 90% of the interviews, I can't remember many EPL managers consistently saying we lost cos I was shit. Must have missed that. Maybe Bonner will.

Last edited:
I'm still in the camp that Harris's sacking was harsh and a bit early; however, I am also critical at how he set the team up and style of football he played. His negative, boring non-scoring, hang on for 1-0 approach set the tone for the season. He must also take some blame for the transfer mess (e.g. it would seem clear that Bonne was a Harris signing). Feel free to have a pop at others, Neil, but be honest and hold your hands up about your own failings.

I spoke to him a couple of times and he seems a nice fella, so good luck to him, but think he and we all now need to move on. He'd still get a good reception at Priestfield, I think, but more crap like in that article and he won't.

I spoke to him a couple of times and he seems a nice fella, so good luck to him, but think he and we all now need to move on. He'd still get a good reception at Priestfield, I think, but more crap like in that article and he won't.
Was there "crap" though?

It all really depends on whether you think he is a liar or just a defensive or bad manager.

To an extent, he is opening himself up to libel if what he said about the Football board and particularly the litigious PS were lies. so I doubt he would risk that.

He seems generally happy about his time with us and his only observations about leaving in the articles, including the one TGPL posted are:
1. The sack came as a shock and surprise with no obvious warning as he didn't see it coming. I suspect SC may think the same about his departure considering he was planning for the summer 2 days earlier and had a worthless vote of confidence a month before that.
2. It was a Football board decision.
3. There was a trust issue, in his opinion. Again, SC may identify with that. The more BG's way of working becomes known, there should be less surprise for successors.

I suspect at least the first two were answers to questions he was asked as the articles both seem to be a look back at his whole management career so far.

Last edited: