Grant signs new contract | Vital Football

Grant signs new contract

I think this is a good call. He's obviously developed somewhat with game time under his belt.
He either plays from the bench or goes on another loan.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/joe-ledley-open-to-championship-switch-after-being-released-by-crystal-palace-a3563121.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4596632/amp/Joe-Ledley-admits-playing-abroad-appeals.html

orbitalforest - 12/6/2017 22:06

I don't rate him personally but hopefully he can prove me wrong.

I didn't see a lack of natural ability when he played, but he really looked like he didn't think he should be out there, playing first team football making a difference through winning points and working closely with Nolan might have bought him a bit of confidence

You know what its like Orbs when you step up a level, the penny suddenly drops that those around you are no better if not worse and the game changes and all of a sudden your right a home

Mark2310 - 12/6/2017 22:35

orbitalforest - 12/6/2017 22:06

I don't rate him personally but hopefully he can prove me wrong.

I didn't see a lack of natural ability when he played, but he really looked like he didn't think he should be out there, playing first team football making a difference through winning points and working closely with Nolan might have bought him a bit of confidence

You know what its like Orbs when you step up a level, the penny suddenly drops that those around you are no better if not worse and the game changes and all of a sudden your right a home

Yeah hopefully you're right Mark.
On the occasions i saw him he looked too weak and lightweight so was never able to impose himself on the game.
Maybe he's got physically stronger the last year and the Notts experience has given him added confidence.
I'm certainly not writing him off yet but he needs to come on a fair bit from what i've seen of him .

I think he will be lucky to get in the squad being honest but I will be extremely happy to be proven wrong.

Has good technical ability and can spot a pass. If his game attitude has improved then this is a good signing. We have to look beyond next season when Vaughan and Cohen may be too old/slow and possibly gone.

Also not sure about this one. He is 23 in December. Really he should be banging on the door of the first team this season and tying down a regular spot if he is going to cut it. But if he does manage that I'll be worried about our quality level in midfield.

Now it is done, I'd favour getting him out on loan again, this time in L1, and let's see where he is next summer.

tombalonga - 13/6/2017 11:36

Also not sure about this one. He is 23 in December. Really he should be banging on the door of the first team this season and tying down a regular spot if he is going to cut it. But if he does manage that I'll be worried about our quality level in midfield.

Now it is done, I'd favour getting him out on loan again, this time in L1, and let's see where he is next summer.

Don't quite see your logic there. Loan him out and next year he will be 24 and still not broken into the first team. So will you post the same comment then?

Nanpantan red - 13/6/2017 14:37

tombalonga - 13/6/2017 11:36

Don't quite see your logic there. Loan him out and next year he will be 24 and still not broken into the first team. So will you post the same comment then?

You yourself suggested we need to look beyond this season as far as Grant is concerned. I assume you mean by this that you expect he will be used as back up for Cohen et al in the immediate term. Is sitting on the bench for us more or less helpful than a loan either until the new year or for a full season? Perhaps a half season loan than the full year is the best option? I think if he does not go out on loan immediately when he inevitably hasn't been able to hold down a place in the first half of the season you will see him out on loan Jan onwards anyway.

He's just not shown enough for me to say he warrants a starting place in August overall - even if Warburton potentially disagrees at the minute. But he does need to be playing football, I'm sure you will agree.

i always thought his brain was a step ahead of the other midfielders when he's played and would love to see him alongside another quality midfielder with pace and power as oppose to the cohen, vaughan options weve had the last few years. Hopefully we can get that Hibs midfielder in, we are so short in centre mid still in many ways