GM in your diet | Page 3 | Vital Football

GM in your diet

Surely a gene that stopped reproduction would not, by its very nature, spread into other crops. It's a self containing genetic trait.

As far as I am aware all GM crops are unable to reproduce. It's engineered into them by Monsanto so that every sewing season the farmer has to buy new seed from them rather than retaining a portion of their own harvest as seed as is tradition.

If it tastes nice who gives a shit , that's my take on it .

Perhaps it's living next to a cemetery, but there are as many fat dead people as skinny ones and there are young people and some 100 year olds but most of us die somewhere around 70 , some are luckier than others but its coming to us all

So why worry be happy :17:

I read in some journal before that they think its a possibility it can spread into other crops...

The older Monsanto crops didnt have this ability thats how so many lawsuits got filled... There was even a conspiracy that Monsanto purposely released this onto unsuspecting farmers as well...

My only fear with GMOs is the EPA, so much stuff is banned in Europe but the US thinks its fine... When former CEOs of Monsanto are on the EPA board of directors or whatever it doesnt put my mind at ease...
I suppose the worst isnt even the crops its the pesticides which Monsanto also produce... I dont think we should be eating the food of the company that produced agent orange thats all Im saying...

I remember watching that dreadful comedy "Early Doors" a few years back. They were having a discussion about GM food and organic. One of the old boys said " years ago all the food was organic and then we got GM foods etc and they told us we'd have to pay a little bit more. Now they're telling us to eat organic food again but we'll have to pay a bit more for it!"

That's my take on it as well.

The Fear - 23/2/2014 19:34

You. Food was food. Same food is now called organic and costs more!!

Both sets of my Grandparents lived on Organic food they are all dead !

Organic food kills !

I read an article on heart disease and apparently what they have been telling us for years about cholesterol is all wrong... This was from some very respected heart doctor like one of the top 3 in the world I think... Im too lazy to look for it though...

Basically they say you shouldnt eat the diet of your parents generation you eat the diet of your grandparents... So like pre-60s/70s

CDX_EIRE - 23/2/2014 19:00

Monsanto is playing with fire in order to make more money... They are trying to splice a gene into crops which will ensure they do not reproduce... Imagine how dangerous this will be if it crosses into a natural strain they could fuck this planet up without proper control and clearly it isnt easy to control because farmers have had parts of their fields contaminated with GM crops that they never bought...

I don't know much about Monsanto or what it is so I'm not going to join a debate about it because it would be a waste of everyone's time.

But I think you're overreacting to the claim the non reproducing crops could fuck up our planet. Anything that can't reproduce can't pass on its genes so that strand would become extinct in one generation. Also I don't know how the modified DNA can pass over into a natural strain in the first place, maybe it's possible in some rare cases but it's certainly not common enough to make any noticeable impact.

david-avfc - 23/2/2014 23:41

I don't know much about Monsanto or what it is so I'm not going to join a debate about it because it would be a waste of everyone's time.

But I think you're overreacting to the claim the non reproducing crops could fuck up our planet. Anything that can't reproduce can't pass on its genes so that strand would become extinct in one generation. Also I don't know how the modified DNA can pass over into a natural strain in the first place, maybe it's possible in some rare cases but it's certainly not common enough to make any noticeable impact.

I am overrating but maybe you should know from posts I get a little dramatic about things and I tend to slightly bend the truth... My opinion on most subjects tends to be strong...

I looked for the article earlier but I cant find the bloody thing the basic idea is that it is a threat to all naturally modified strains (all crops in existence are technically genetically modified)... I dont know how but it is I read this 1 maybe 2 or 3 years ago...
As I said Im no expert I just read a lot of stuff and things like this that the average person has no idea or very little knowledge of...

You should read up on Monsanto though you can disregard my other comments but just look them up and you'll learn some interesting stuff... I could very well be wrong about non-reproducing crops but Im not about these fuckers...
They truly are an evil corporation and they have gotten into the US Government and its regulators... EU has banned some of their products but they use them in the US...

If you're into documentaries check out Food Inc. its pretty good...

GMOs are a tricky subject we need to increase our yields and improve crops but we havent done enough testing... We're the real guinea pigs here its going to be years before we really know... Some GMOs cause cancer in rats others seem to be fine make of it what you will... The hormones they put in Beef and Chicken over here apparently doesnt affect humans...
Thats something I miss about Ireland I pretty much know exactly what I getting when I buy my food but over here you dont...

People are starting to wake up to the health buzz but most are still complete idiots... Its insane how good you feel when you go to a country that doesnt have a lot of processed food...
It amazes me what some people can just shrug off, I dont have a high opinion of your average person... Certain things that we ignore and accept leave me speechless...

Don't get caught up in the hype too much, CDX. GM foods are tested far more than any other. The fact that some fail at the testing stage is a good thing, as these never then make it into the food chain. Using these examples to bash the technology is just typical of the tactics used by the anti brigade.

Villan57 - 23/2/2014 19:56

The Fear - 23/2/2014 19:34

Yes. Food was food. Same food is now called organic and costs more!!

Both sets of my Grandparents lived on Organic food they are all dead !

Organic food kills !

:19: :19: :19: :19:

:1:

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 24/2/2014 08:29

Don't get caught up in the hype too much, CDX. GM foods are tested far more than any other. The fact that some fail at the testing stage is a good thing, as these never then make it into the food chain. Using these examples to bash the technology is just typical of the tactics used by the anti brigade.

Money, power and greed comes before looking after fellow human. I think it is you that has caught up in the hype of becoming too trusting. The Western world now has some of the highest obesity rates in children than anywhere else - the food companies and the way they operate/advertise etc, they are all in it for themselves = money, greed and power. This is why i'd rather believe in the bible - at least it is a book that goes against the system and was written in ancient times. The more we follow and believe it, the more it sticks two fingers up at those in white suits ruling over guys like you. I would rather listen and follow what our ancestors ate and understand humanity based on past events, than follow guys that are giving our kids heart disease, diabetes and cancers. GM foods is just the tip of a massive corrupt iceberg. And lets not even get started on how corrupt the pharmaceutical companies are as well.

The Bible - the best example of the Authors looking to control the readers!!! The whole thing was written to manipulate people to think what those in power wanted. It's so naive to even contemplate otherwise.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 24/2/2014 08:29

I just think its too early to tell if they will harm us or not... As I mentioned we should probably be more worried about the pesticides than the F&V...

I like my conspiracy theories too and Monsanto has it all... There is bound to be bullshit but its very much plausible a lot of the stuff is true...
Well a lot is true and well documented but its the other side where theres a little doubt...

Yep. I said earlier in the thread that the long term effects are still an unknown. I still don't think that should stop the technology full stop now. We need to take the risks and see where it takes, us because the alternative is not very palatable to most.

Monsanto is a prime example of a Company where I am sure things are being done that shouldn't, and this then taints everything they do. It's like saying that the Catholic Church is all wrong, because few Priests molested children. Oh wait, that is right....