George Reynolds | Vital Football

George Reynolds

DEEPING IMP

Vital 1st Team Regular
The ex Darlington Chairman 83 yrs who has had a dodgy past charged with harassment against a county councillor regarding a planning application. I remember talking to a Lincoln director who met him saying how threatening he was.

He was stopped on the A68, North of West Auckland, some years back and arrested, along with a suitcase containing £500,000 in cash.

Following this he was sentenced to 3 years for tax avoidance and ordered to pay the Inland Revenue the £424,000 that he owes them....

Seem to remember some of his other classics were sending round the heavies to anyone who criticised him (a guy who did their equivalent of the deranged ferret I seem to recall got some "visits").
They also did a bit of a fundraiser whereby you paid to have a brick engraved with your name on which was going to be built into a supporters wall. The wall never got built and the bricks ended up being dumped in a pile round the back of Feethams.

When I was at Alstom (now Siemens) I went up to his Direct Worktops factory in Shildon on a service assignment. I was told a few stories by the guys there about how he treated his staff which was, quite frankly, appalling. One story was that a member of staff left an office light on after being the last one out. George got this guys car keys and ran the engine down to waste fuel and money to "see how he liked it". The experience of being in the company of his hand-picked team of directors that day are still the worst work-related experience of my entire working life so far. Terrible characters.

He once came into the very expensive restaurant I once worked in in London. It was early 00s so I think he was still at Darlington then.

An absolute miserable bar steward during his stay, and he predictably didn't leave even a penny in tips.

Our boards have taken a whole load of flak over the years, but we've never come close to having the kind of shithouse he was/is. And for that we should be very, very grateful.

He once came into the very expensive restaurant I once worked in in London. It was early 00s so I think he was still at Darlington then.

An absolute miserable bar steward during his stay, and he predictably didn't leave even a penny in tips.

Our boards have taken a whole load of flak over the years, but we've never come close to having the kind of shithouse he was/is. And for that we should be very, very grateful.
It appears people with money don't get it by giving it away.
A few years ago I was having a meal up in the restaurant in the Heron Tower in London. It was the night before some kind of TV awards and 3 of the cast of Emmerdale were sat at the next table. When they got up they left a 20p piece on the table. They retired to the bar and probably spent a fortune then.