Football sin bin. | Vital Football

Football sin bin.

tomytony

Vital Champions League
Is there a place for such a thing?
As an example just watched McGuire get a yellow for hacking down a City player ,near the halfway line, who had pushed the ball past him and was through.
The rules now say it's a yellow but that's the same punishment as taking your shirt off if you've scored and in no way reflects the severity of the 'taking one for the team, professional foul'. Maybe 10 mins off the pitch might make players think a bit more about taking somone out to prevent a break.

Is there a place for such a thing?
As an example just watched McGuire get a yellow for hacking down a City player ,near the halfway line, who had pushed the ball past him and was through.
The rules now say it's a yellow but that's the same punishment as taking your shirt off if you've scored and in no way reflects the severity of the 'taking one for the team, professional foul'. Maybe 10 mins off the pitch might make players think a bit more about taking somone out to prevent a break.
The standard of refereeing is pish poor so don't give em owt else to think about/mess up is what i think TT. UTB

The standard of refereeing is pish poor so don't give em owt else to think about/mess up is what i think TT. UTB
That was my other thought Rod but if we can cope with VAR.................:p
It would be very subjective but, for examples like todays, there needs to be more than a yellow. ATM the tackler has to be out of control, endangering the player etc but maybe we could just bring back red cards for such tackles regardless of the physical force used.
Just seems out of balance to only get a yellow.

Not sure having expensive players sitting in a box and then coming back at full pelt is going to do much other than fill the physio's room. The laws of the game are there to see, but refs choose not to use them fully. Tripping a player on a break, send the **** off. Wrestling at a corner, give a penalty. Constantly yakking in the refs ear to influence the game, yellow card, red card.

The problems here are consistency, and standing up to the big clubs. If VAR has taught us anything it is that the better the technology, the worse the mistakes become.

It was suggested a few years ago of introducing a Purple card that would act as a sin bin but I don't think it was ever tried. I think it should be trialed, particularly in lower leagues where it can get heated.

Not sure having expensive players sitting in a box and then coming back at full pelt is going to do much other than fill the physio's room. The laws of the game are there to see, but refs choose not to use them fully. Tripping a player on a break, send the **** off. Wrestling at a corner, give a penalty. Constantly yakking in the refs ear to influence the game, yellow card, red card.

The problems here are consistency, and standing up to the big clubs. If VAR has taught us anything it is that the better the technology, the worse the mistakes become.
I agree FKB but the rules for sending off now include out of control, endangering a player etc and a cynical trip when a player's pushed it past the defender gets a yellow, praise from the pundits and a sense that they've got away with it.
Degrees of fouls and degrees of punishment for such fouls would make it even more subjective hence my suggestion of a yellow + punishment- or ust get rid of the out of control etc and make the ref enforce ALL the rules as you say.
That would soon filter through after the 1st few 9 a sides.

Said for a while I’d like to see some form of sin bin but like has been said the officials would find a way of complicating a simple solution

I also think that the rule could be manipulated by players too. Imagine bring 1-0 down with 5 minutes to go, Billy gey put through and a defender (already on a yellow) comes from nowhere and barges him out of the way. He's not the last man and it's not reckless enough for a red. Ref pulls out a card that gives them a sin bin. OK, they'll be down to ten men for remainder of game bit they'll not serve a suspension next match. Players would happily take a sin bin if they knew they wouldn't miss next match

Its another situation of well meaning people making rules to punish wrong-doers, but wrong-doers are tough b'stards who will do their damnest to find a way around it all.