Football becoming boring | Vital Football

Football becoming boring

Ruskingtony

Vital Squad Member
After watching the Leicester Leeds match last night I thought I would start this thread and see what others opinions are. Obviously, I am not one of the younger generation who may have a totally different view on things.
I was quite looking forward to the match as I thought it might be an entertaining exciting affair. Leeds actually did try and play more attacking football but Leicester played dozens of passes between the goalkeeper and defenders often passing it back from near the opponents 18 yard box. It is so frustrating to watch.
Pep really started all this with his style of play which admittedly has been successful. But now Arsenal, Spurs etc etc are copying it in fact centre backs often walk forwards with the ball now before passing it sideways or backwards. What really worries me is that it has now being adopted at all levels of football as we often see at Sincil and from both teams.
I just find it so boring and I honestly think it could kill the game as a spectator sport , it is sleep inducing. Perhaps I am a dinosaur but would love to know what others think?

After watching the Leicester Leeds match last night I thought I would start this thread and see what others opinions are. Obviously, I am not one of the younger generation who may have a totally different view on things.
I was quite looking forward to the match as I thought it might be an entertaining exciting affair. Leeds actually did try and play more attacking football but Leicester played dozens of passes between the goalkeeper and defenders often passing it back from near the opponents 18 yard box. It is so frustrating to watch.
Pep really started all this with his style of play which admittedly has been successful. But now Arsenal, Spurs etc etc are copying it in fact centre backs often walk forwards with the ball now before passing it sideways or backwards. What really worries me is that it has now being adopted at all levels of football as we often see at Sincil and from both teams.
I just find it so boring and I honestly think it could kill the game as a spectator sport , it is sleep inducing. Perhaps I am a dinosaur but would love to know what others think?
Agree. It can be mind numbing. Not sure what the answer is. I much prefer an end to end game, even if it is more direct. Or a counter attacking team with pace. This passing it around at the back with no pressure is not for the spectator.

Bring back those good old days, where the keeper would hoof (Grant Brown) it down the pitch and the players would charge helter-skelter after it!...........only for it to go out for a goal kick!

Last edited:
Tbf, I think that was down to how well drilled Leeds were, they kept forcing them back inside into the congestion of the midfield area.

I've watched Leicester three or four times this season and they've been very forwared passing when allowed.

I think it goes back to before Pep. I remember several years ago, taking my grandson to a Stoke match when Mark Hughes was manager, and realised I was bored with all the passing about, and no real action

Pep has revolutionised football in this country, at our (City) best we are footballing perfection, not seen since Holland 74' or Brazil 4 years previous. Real Madrid 4-0, Liverpool & Arsenal both 4-1 last season were massacres against very good sides ..... how can that possibly be boring?

If clubs want to emulate that style of play that's up to them. Appleton got as close as damn it during the Covid* season (typical Lincoln luck) but on the whole an Imps side should realistically mix it up a bit in a more Danny Cowley style, which ultimately proved successful … and would do again.

Last edited:
It takes two to tango and when you get sides with quality players having a go at one another you get Chelsea 4 v Man City 4. The problem is when you have a mis match and the dominant side are a very slick possession outfit. I have only ever fallen asleep twice (whilst sober anyway) at live football and that was both Man City games v Bournemouth and Watford where it was about 4-0 after 20 minutes. That wasn't the fault of Man City but strewth the remaining 70 minutes watching the ball going sideways and backwards against a back 11 without any tackles was coma inducing.

Basically you need a spark in the game whether it is two evenly matched sides or failing that a good old blood and thunder physical tussle where there is at least something for the spectators to get involved with tackles, bookings etc.