FA to Adopt the Rooney Rule | Vital Football

FA to Adopt the Rooney Rule

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
It looks like Chris Houghton and Paul Ince are set to be very busy attending interviews for every job under the sun as the FA lead the way in combating racism by interviewing at least one black person for all England coaching jobs.

Is this a positive development or just window-dressing?

Once the FA start doing it, everyone else is under pressure to comply for fear of looking racist. Of course, the clubs could just interview the best candidates for the jobs regardless of their skin colour and choose the most suitable person regardless of their skin colour but that's not high profile enough. They need something much more visible and less practical.

I do hate the world of PR and spin.

You can read more about the FA's tokenism here: https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/football/2018/01/10/fa-to-adopt-rooney-rule-in-appointing-future-england-managers/

These things are tough because the idea is a good concept but the practice doesnt quite work.

I feel like offering more opportunities to coach and be brought into the coaching set up at clubs and get badges etc. would be much better. The FA should just subsidise coaching at lower league clubs if they make it more diverse and then you put it all under the guise multiculturalism and football being for everyone.

Always think Chris Houghton is a decent manager.

Not the point of the thread I know, but just saying! lol