Everton-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Everton-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

22:49

'Pickford should have done better'​

FT: Everton 1-3 Man City

Michael Owen
Former Real Madrid striker on Amazon Prime Video

Jordan Pickford will probably look back at it and think he shouldn't be beaten from that far out at the near post [for City's first goal].

For someone who is so slight, Phil Foden got an awful amount of power behind that strike.

22:52

'Stones' injury doesn't look good'​

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to Amazon Prime: "I remind them [of their abilities] every day. We have standards to keep. That makes us have more responsibility so the standards cannot go down.

"I thought the first half was really good. In the second half we had to attack quicker with wingers and runners and we did really well. They showed again how special they are. We know after six games with just one win, the people were asking, which is normal because it is all about results but we are close and so do Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Aston Villa. We want to be there.

"Our away supporters are always very good. They are sometimes more than at the Etihad I would say! It's nice they travel here to be with us and it's nice to be with them.

"We said we needed to move to structure to play more direct to the wingers. We created 5-10 minutes of chances. Phil Foden in the end just took the ball and put it in the net! We arrived more often in the final third in the second half."

On the penalty decision: "I didn't see the images, sorry, I will let you know. I don't know the rules. It's a penalty here, not a penalty here. If you go to Europe the rules are completely different. Maybe one day they will clarify it. But I didn't see the pictures.

On John Stones' injury: "It doesn't look good but we will see. It's his ankle."

I was just looking at the Jack Grealish 'yellow' JG gets fouled by an Everton player (Not given) and the accidently stumbles after the ball and in falling over collides with anther Everton player OK a foul in the loose term of the word but never a yellow.
------------------------------

On the penalty, the Referees have their knickers in a twist over what is and what isn't, it is not deliberate and it was close to the City Player, but I have seen them given before, I would feel aggrieved if that had been an Everton penalty.

We were pretty toothless in the first half.
Everton goal - Bernardo was unlucky in slipping on the Astro at the side of the pitch To conceded possession and Rodri’s slip was …….unexpected….and punished. The margins are slim.
We stepped up our intensity in the second half and it was was rewarded. Fab strike from Foden to level things.
Dyche doing a Maureen (deflection) in his moanathon about the penalty. He would not call it harsh had been awarded to his team and conversely had it not been awarded against a City player his narrative would have 180 degrees reversed - he would still have been complaining that he doesn’t understand handball but then would have berated the officials for NOT awarding it. This is the hypocritical, one-eyed, blinkered BS I cannot abide in coaches. I thought it was a penalty. Had it been awarded against City I would have been disappointed but the rules are what they are - his arm was above his head. Tough. Sky opened their coverage with a BIG lead on the CONTROVERSIAL penalty. Getting tired of this sh*t. I can bet Anti-City pundits on Prime (Full on Dipper Tiny Tim Owen; ex—Everton Manager Martinez & Uber City hater Alan Shearer) were all bemoaning it. They would have been completely of the opposite opinion had been awarded to Everton I an quite sure.
Fab save from Eddy to keep the score at 0-1.
Stones injury - been saying for ages a player would get injured because they make what turns out to be an unnecessary challenge. And so it comes to pass :mad:
Pickford is a plonker and how he is England No 1 beggars belief.
More than him should have been booked for disputing the penalty. The officials were going to clamp down on that stuff. Another failed campaign. Just like they were going to punish the failure of players to retreat from free kicks.
Bernardo is brilliant.

:rant:

I am now going to watch the final 15 minutes which I missed due to a family matter. And - based on the MDT - will probably get annoyed about poor refereeing and garbage Everton petulance in their commission of bad fouls.

Last edited:

'Football people know it wasn't a penalty'​

352b6fbf-1556-4114-86cf-cd73281197e0.jpg

Roberto Martinez
Belgium manager on Amazon Prime Video
For me, it is not a penalty at all. For me, football people know that it is not a penalty.
The celebration of City to get that decision told the story. It shows the hunger. It's something that needs to be reviewed. But the law is something that doesn't match the game.

RM = :finger:

Haven’t even gotten to the KO for the secind half and I am hearing Martinez in the studio talking about “We (Everton) can stop Man City scoring”. I know they are brought in to add flavour but direct open bias has no place in the discussions. :mad: That didn’t take long.

I was just looking at the Jack Grealish 'yellow' JG gets fouled by an Everton player (Not given) and the accidently stumbles after the ball and in falling over collides with anther Everton player OK a foul in the loose term of the word but never a yellow.
------------------------------

On the penalty, the Referees have their knickers in a twist over what is and what isn't, it is not deliberate and it was close to the City Player, but I have seen them given before, I would feel aggrieved if that had been an Everton penalty.
I will say though that the shot was on target and probably one of the factors taken into account although the linesman could not have known that.

Skorrb "CONTROVERSIAL penalty. Getting tired of this sh*t. I can bet Anti-City pundits on Prime (Full on Dipper Tiny Tim Owen; ex—Everton Manager Martinez & Uber City hater Alan Shearer"

apart from Shearer who is Toon Town through and through and wants them to do well, he is not that keen on City, the others though either have an Everton link or supported them when young baby Owen + an ex-rag who scored 3 minutes beyond what was shown on the board at 90 mins (and no I won't let it go)

"90 per cent of penalties that are given for handball are not deliberate anyhow."

What grates with me is.......that is given against Akanji or Stones or Dias etc c then I don't think we get any of this debated. I think they just say "yeah that's a pen" and move on but 'poor Everton' it's different.

They should be debating Brooks's persistent failure to book Everton players for not retreating from free kicks, for prolonged dissent after the penalty and not booking Tarkowski for his foul (second) on Grealish BUT immediately booking the City player after he had been clattered and then stumbled off balance into an opponent.

"90 per cent of penalties that are given for handball are not deliberate anyhow."

What grates with me is.......that is given against Akanji or Stones or Dias etc c then I don't think we get any of this debated. I think they just say "yeah that's a pen" and move on but 'poor Everton' it's different.

They should be debating Brooks's persistent failure to book Everton players for not retreating from free kicks, for prolonged dissent after the penalty and not booking Tarkowski for his foul (second) on Grealish BUT immediately booking the City player after he had been clattered and then stumbled off balance into an opponent.
I think you are right but not with Akanji etc, but with the penalty given again Jack Grealish in the Cup Final and he was on the edge of the box and it was literarily fingertips, but that did not attract this much attention to penalties like the Onana one which are awarded every week

I think you are right but not with Akanji etc, but with the penalty given again Jack Grealish in the Cup Final and he was on the edge of the box and it was literarily fingertips, but that did not attract this much attention to penalties like the Onana one which are awarded every week
The names were examples - Had that contact with the arm been made by ANY City player this ‘controversial penalty’ narrative would never have emerged. The pundits in Prime’s studio - Martinez and Tiny Tim - would have said “I think it’s a penalty. If you slide in with your arm raised it’s a risk. I know it’s close, but the player needs to keep his arm down. His arm was above his head so for me it’s a penalty to Everton”. THAT is why they should have truly neutral pundits on their shows - having partisan ex-players from the home team OR one with a vested interest because their ex-club’s title rival is playing is BS.

Your highlighting of the penalty awarded to the rags in the FA Cup final is very pertinent because there was a minor debate at the time ….but it never got to the level of ‘controversial’. Seems to me the media’s ‘situational response’ comes into play - they decide when something is ‘controversial’ because it suits them and in this case undermines City’s recovery from being behind and spoiling their “City in crisis’ column inches.

The names were examples - Had that contact with the arm been made by ANY City player this ‘controversial penalty’ narrative would never have emerged. The pundits in Prime’s studio - Martinez and Tiny Tim - would have said “I think it’s a penalty. If you slide in with your arm raised it’s a risk. I know it’s close, but the player needs to keep his arm down. His arm was above his head so for me it’s a penalty to Everton”. THAT is why they should have truly neutral pundits on their shows - having partisan ex-players from the home team OR one with a vested interest because their ex-club’s title rival is playing is BS.

Your highlighting of the penalty awarded to the rags in the FA Cup final is very pertinent because there was a minor debate at the time ….but it never got to the level of ‘controversial’. Seems to me the media’s ‘situational response’ comes into play - they decide when something is ‘controversial’ because it suits them and in this case undermines City’s recovery from being behind and spoiling their “City in crisis’ column inches.
That is a prime example - It may have got more if that was a rag finger tips.

They were still debating the penalty for 4 or 5 days after the event and we see those penalties given every week.

GUARDIOLA ON CITY’S FOCUS 💬

Pep Guardiola says his team will be focusing attention on the Premier League in this run of top-flight tussles over the next month.
City have five out of six upcoming games in the Premier League – Sheffield United (h), Newcastle (a), Burnley (h), Brentford (a) and Everton (h).
The boss says these matches will be given huge respect as City look to gain ground on leaders Liverpool.
On concentrating on the Premier League, he said: “Yes especially when we qualified for the Champions League in February we were incredibly just focused on the Premier League except this one week or ten days when we were in Saudi Arabia and won the Club World Cup.
“Absolutely, it’s Premier League, focusing on that.
“Of course, next week we have Huddersfield in the FA Cup as that competition starts and it’s an important competition.
“But the Premier League has been the main, main target mentally in the past, in the recent past.”