England v Panama | Page 3 | Vital Football

England v Panama

Since when was Fellaine a main striker? He is however a very good second striker or midfielder.
Exactly, he's designated as a midfielder who has scored 25 out of 80 starts for Belgium. Nathan is comparing apples with rubber tyres, bless him.

Exactly, he's designated as a midfielder who has scored 25 out of 80 starts for Belgium. Nathan is comparing apples with rubber tyres, bless him.

On the other thread you said you’d have him in front of anyone other than Alli - so I was using your comparison of “apples and rubber tyres”.

You also said I suggested he wouldn’t get in the Gills squad, which isn’t the case - I was, of course, talking about the England squad.

And despite any scoring record, I wouldn’t have Fellaini in the England squad. He encourages route one football and that doesn’t suit the way England are trying to play. I’m not saying he’s not effective and he is a dangerous player, but if we were encouraging that type of football then we’d be better off having Carroll or Crouch there.

On the other thread you said you’d have him in front of anyone other than Alli - so I was using your comparison of “apples and rubber tyres”.

You also said I suggested he wouldn’t get in the Gills squad, which isn’t the case - I was, of course, talking about the England squad.

And despite any scoring record, I wouldn’t have Fellaini in the England squad. He encourages route one football and that doesn’t suit the way England are trying to play. I’m not saying he’s not effective and he is a dangerous player, but if we were encouraging that type of football then we’d be better off having Carroll or Crouch there.
They're not midfielders

So back to the original question, based on what you’ve seen of England in 2018, who would you take out to play a Fellaini type player? Football is all about opinions but for me the most vulnerable players in our current first eleven are Alli and Sterling, both of which struggle to perform like they do for their clubs (nothing new for England players really).

But if we had a Fellaini-type player taking one of their places then our whole system wouldn’t work - the high-energy press just doesn’t suit him. So then he’d fall back to be an impact sub, and again, in my opinion, Carroll would be a better impact sub.

Fellaini is dangerous, especially from set pieces and long ball - but I think we’ve done ok at set pieces already (four goals, plus a penalty?) and we don’t need to play long ball.

As I say, just my opinion and completely hypothetical. There are about five other Belgians I’d take immediately though.