Edinburgh out - 'The grass isn't always greener' | Vital Football

Edinburgh out - 'The grass isn't always greener'

pompeyrug

Alert Team
I am one of those that go very much with the 'grass isn't always greener on the other side' ethos.

It will be for us under a new manager though... I think!

I was pleasantly surprised to hear <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Justin Edinburgh</font></b> express such thoughts when ruling out a return to Pompey, insisting that he is content with Newport.

He said: 'I'm more than happy at this football club.

'It's a fantastic club… the grass isn't always greener on the other side so I think I've got fantastic backing by the board, a great relationship with Tim Harris.'

Fair play to Edinburgh!

He also went on to express how his players 'play for him' and he is part of a 'work in process' project with the Welsh outfit.

To be fair Edinburgh has done a good job with Newport so I cannot say that I would not have been against him coming in, but I have gained a great amount of respect for him following his thoughts.

No doubt he will walk out on Newport in the coming weeks or months now to totally dispel such views eh ;-)

Another of those very strongly linked with the job is <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Richie Barker</font></b>.

The bookies, many of them, have him down as the favourite for the post and he has refused to be drawn on speculation as to what he thinks about this, both before and after Crawley's game with Swindon last night...

I am not doing the whole 'Pompey are massive' speech, but we are still a big draw and I could see why Barker could be tempted but perhaps an ethos similar to Edinburgh might be adopted by him?

Barker worked with <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Mark Catlin</font></b> at Bury, so it is an easy connection to make. Although Catlin has admitted an 'admiration' for him and I think it is safe to say that he is one of those on the boards shortlist...

What Catlin has admitted is that he has been 'blown away' by the interest in the job, but he also can see why.

He told Radio Solent: 'People like a challenge, and there is no bigger challenge than getting Portsmouth to where they should be in four to five years.

'We do have a shortlist in mind of people we have identified who we think fit the role. Plus when the CVs come in the names can sometimes blow you away. There might be a gem or two in there.

'Hopefully late next week we will start the interview process, they will meet the board and then after that make an appointment.'

Once the manager losses the backing of the board, as Catlin confirmed <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Guy Whittingham</font></b> had, change had to be made. Voices of discontent from the stands were also taken into account as well with the club having a duty to listen to what is said...

I continue to think that the problem with the likes of Barker, and anyone else currently in a job, will be that compensation will be needed to release them from their contracts so I am far from convinced that our next manager will be someone that is currently in a job?

Oh, and it <b><i>will not</b></i> be current caretaker <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Andy Awford</font></b>.

He was noncommittal with his thoughts before the Southend game but Catlin also revealed that Awford has already told the board that he does not want to be considered for the job and wants to return to the academy set-up once more.

A wise move, and right move methinks...

Some 80-90 names have shown an interest in the job by all accounts!

What is more and more evident is that whoever comes in has a big job on their hands working with the players we have, who need a right good shoeing...

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth " target="blank"><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17448" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Hartlepool v Pompey</b></a>.
<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-freeze.asp?tid=17234" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Wycombe</b></a>.

Another issue with Edinburgh is that he signed a new 2 1/2 year contract last month!

I just hope the Board look beyond "a big name" as that is what fans want, I hope Hollaway fancies it, as Phil Brown did a job on us last night, he seems to be rehabilitating himself in Division 2, like our players put yourself in the shop window down here, do a good job and we say thanks and cheerio if a team higher up the leagues come in for him.

Would have to be a win-win for someone like Holloway surely wouldnt it Wiggy?

He does a job he gets a 'better job' and we get a pay-off...

He does not get the backing he wants and he can say 'I am off' - we lose nothing really...

Problem is if he did shite, or could not work anything with our players, how do we shift him without costing too much.

Think the contracts will be more sensible these days, rolling contracts will be the norm until we move up the leagues.