Do you really enjoy it? | Vital Football

Do you really enjoy it?

gilliesout

Vital Newbie
Do you really enjoy a 25 man passing move played at the pace of an elderly mans walking football team that never seems to end in a shot?
It's only use seems to be to bore the opposition to sleep in hope that one time they lose concentration and forget to cover. Even Barca and Spain have moved on, possession stats mean nothing.
Even if you like/agree with it, trying to play that style without the personnel is pure folly. Mills, Hobbs, Mancienne and Smith top the list.
For all those that say we are a work in progress, I agree, After a mad owner, forever changing managers, transfer embargo, dependence on young players, a stifling history, finally new owners appointing a new manager and selling your top scorer for £15 million what do you expect?
Sorry I thought you were talking about Leeds

gilliesout - 10/9/2017 11:50

Do you really enjoy a 25 man passing move played at the pace of an elderly mans walking football team that never seems to end in a shot?
It's only use seems to be to bore the opposition to sleep in hope that one time they lose concentration and forget to cover. Even Barca and Spain have moved on, possession stats mean nothing.
Even if you like/agree with it, trying to play that style without the personnel is pure folly. Mills, Hobbs, Mancienne and Smith top the list.
For all those that say we are a work in progress, I agree, After a mad owner, forever changing managers, transfer embargo, dependence on young players, a stifling history, finally new owners appointing a new manager and selling your top scorer for £15 million what do you expect?
Sorry I thought you were talking about Leeds

Love that. A bit sardonic but accurate. That just about sums us up at the moment.
I'm sympathetic with MW, he's trying to to install a decent method of play with mainly players who in part are not up to it. It's not a quick or easy job and not one that I'd enjoy either but in the long run it's one of the answers which we should embrace. And it's going to take a bit of cash as well. Some of us talk of having a decent squad but if we want promotion it's not good enough. And in my eyes that's definite.
I do think that with the setup we have in place we'll get there.

Well said Gilliesout.

:14:

some good points..

composure... i like that aspect, i think a lof of it is about that.. Composure at full pace is what is effective and thats going tocome with time.... and probabaly a settled side actually too.

Despite the apparent options we seem very disjointed overall. Mckay should move inside left, caroyal outside and benny in the middle perhapsin a midfield 5. Or even perhaps put mckay onthe rightwing in a 442. We should be starting to get an idea of our starting 11 and we just arent at all

Yes I do enjoy it and Barca are still about possession.

MW has only had 1x transfer window to get the players who competent enough to play his style. We are cutting our cloth to suit so it will probably take time to recruit the right type of player(s). It seems he is trying to instill a football philosophy and this will benefit the club in the long term.

This season will be up and down in term of results but a mid table/ top 10 finish will give us a solid platform to build on.

Some of our best football is taking place around our own penalty box

It's nice to watch when it works but also a relief each time it does!

For me the jury is still out.

I remember Brian Clough saying that he would never expect or tell a player to do something that he couldn't do. He would only focus on the players strengths and he would encourage that no end.

Sometimes I get the feeling that MW is expecting some of the current players to do things that they are not comfortable with or capable of.

It will become a bit of a worry if we suffer a couple more defeats this week and the confidence gets sucked out of them. Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

some of his philosophy is flawed.. tho im no expecting the next Clough by any means. But saying things like if the goalkeeper kicks it long then we will invariably lose pocession is just poppycock. It should be 50% of the time we gain pocession and there are clearly advantages to being in the opponents half whether you have pocession or not..

He needs to let the goalkeeper kick the dam ball out, not pass it out, its causing issues all over the place and we are not going to get players good enough to play pretty football in our own half under pressure for a million quid a throw.

Back to basics is over used perhaps but we have a clear case of need

That's the point I was trying to make, the manager decides his philosophy and lives and dies by it, but on a purely personal level constant passes around mid- field don't excite me. But surely an intelligent person like our manager would cut his cloth according to the skills available.
What percentage each match would you give for one of our back five to make a terrible error ? At the moment, devise a way to get the ball 20 yards further up the pitch and allow those players with ability to do their bit and then the defence might be able to concentrate on stopping goals, surely their primary role ( sound advice that is surely still relevant even today, courtesy BC)
The new owners have come in and earned a lot of 'brownie points', but we are entitled to ask why a new keeper wasn't brought in, especially when you know that MW was desperate for one, Sometimes you have to pay the money, not stupidly as in the past, but with a professional appraisal of what is needed.

What everyone needs to realise is that once the team become more accustomed to playing that way then the ball will begin to played at a much faster pace. If we manage to become proficient with the system then it can be devastating on other teams. The first improvement must be the movement forward of the back line by around ten metres.