Daniel Stendel | Vital Football

Daniel Stendel

ManchesterLatic89

Vital Reserves Team
Reports linking him with the Hearts job at present.

I read the most recent edition of When Saturday Comes and a Barnsley fan there stated how nearly all the Barnsley fans were dissapointed at their board sacking him after selling off their playing assets and not backing him in the market.

Could he be a possibility to replace Cook alongside the likes of Adkins, McCarthy and Warnock? He managed to get Moore scoring goals last term so that could work in his favour. Fingers crossed he turns down the Hearts job.

No doubt he didn't get results at Barnsley this season but I think most accept there were some mitigating circumstances. With his keeper and both centre backs who were the rock solid all leavung plus top scorer all sold and his best midfielder missing most of the early games through injury. It's hard enough stepping up a level even if you can keep everyone so to lose so many key players and try and rebuild on a tight budget at a higher level is a very big ask of anyone.

But at the same time the gap between the Championship and League 1 is too big for many players and managers and he could be another one of those who couldnt make the step up regardless of circumstances. It's impossible to know for sure what he could've in done if he didn't lose the spine of his side but ultimately for me if we sacked Cook I would prefer someone with experience at this level as he would be a big gamble.

Thhats another one we've lost out on then, God. i hate that trio of freeloaders on the board of directors.

To be fair he did initially worse than Cook, we know he had his hands tied behind his back but he may have failed to take the step up anyway. If we took him on we could easily have just hired another L1 manager who can't hack life in the Championship.

I'm not worried about letting him go elsewhere. We ideally want someone who's succeeded or at least not failed at this level and he doesn't fit that criteria.

We ideally want someone who's succeeded or at least not failed at this level and he doesn't fit that criteria.

Any ideas then on who would fit the criteria? Not that it matters, it seems we are stuck with this clown and we are in the shit big time!

Edit...To be fair Cook hasn't failed at this level.......YET!

Any ideas then on who would fit the criteria? Not that it matters, it seems we are stuck with this clown and we are in the shit big time!

Edit...To be fair Cook hasn't failed at this level.......YET!

I think by leaving it so long and getting so deep into the relegation battle we have made ourselves signigicantly less attractive to potnetial managers. So i think the chances of getting someone like Adkins will have decreased but he'd still be the most realistic best choice candidate. Warnock on a short term deal would be perfect but we know he likes to live down south so i'm not sure if he'd fancy all the back and forth every week - but i think he'd be up for the rescue mission if we could make it worth his while. Pulis and Martin O'Neill are other option but i think he would probably be unaffordable full stop.

It's already been mentioned that we missed Monk and Rowett, another one I always suggested was Oscar Garcia but he's now got a job in Spain, Poyet is another i've mentioned but i think he may not fancy it now we are in so much trouble. So we have to start to broaden our horizons and look at people maybe we previously wouldn't have considered.

McClaren and Pardew both have decent records at this level nd will want a route back into football and i think we maybe could've attracted them a couple of months ago but i'm less confident now. So we are moving down the list and people like Pearson, Keane, DiMatteo, Stam, Holloway or Irvine who have had success and failures at this level in the past or people like Barton, Ainsworth, Flynn, Wellens or Campbell who have never had a chance at this level before - but some of them may not fancy coming as they think they have more chance of being in the Champ next season by staying put at their current clubs!

There are arguments for and against many candidates mentioned but at this level if you look at say Holloway he has taken teams up multiple times on a shoe string, Stam had Reading in the play offs playing amazing football, Keane took Sunderland from rock bottom to Champions, etc but then all of them went on to fail after that - but they clearly have something to offer.

The 5 untested managers i've mentioned may all also struggle to make the step up like Cook so they would be a gamble like some of the previous mentioned names - but they've not been here to find out yet so you may end up with someone very good.

We all heard the Unsowrth rumour in the past and there is the possibility that the club will look at other people no one has heard of from aborad or give someone a first job in the game hoping they find another Lampard.

Whoever we look at would be a gamble to some degree but it's more a gamble to keep Cook in place. I think we've already damaged our potential options by the stupid decision from the board to keep Cook this long so we can't be as picky as maybe we could've been in the summer, or the 1st, 2nd or 3rd international break.