👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman | Page 3 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman

freundorfoe - 6/11/2017 16:28

Hi Nick,

which Chairman do you think has a better track record with managers?

Not defending DL necessarily... just wondering whose appointments have been better?

I dunno, anyone who has appointed a manager who has won stuff his way by shaping a team. Levy hasn't done that and I don't count the league cup. Wenger, Benitez and Ferguson come to mind for starters.

Nick Real Deal - 8/11/2017 09:18

Levy twice considered appointing Moyes in 2012 and 14. Says it all really.

You're reaching.

you're judging him for things he didn't do now

He also nearly bought Aguero and Hazard - the man's a genius!

Nick Real Deal - 8/11/2017 22:09

Reaching the facts that prove Levy is crap at appointing managers ?

Or rolling them through until he found the right one?

If some reportedly maybes say it all to you, then there's not much left to discuss.

Also, maybes are not facts.

All the failed managers are facts. The trophy cabinet is fact. I am judging him on performance related to football overall, not financial and not the last few years.

After all the poor manager appointments it would be no surprise to me if he considered Moyes. The poll relates to his whole tenure. As I said for the money he earns it is not an apprenticeship to learn the job by trial and error.

NRD, my bad, instead of quoting I launched the edit screen, just to clarify that I did not change anything.

Nick Real Deal - 9/11/2017 09:11

All the failed managers are facts. The trophy cabinet is fact. I am judging him on performance related to football overall, not financial and not the last few years.

After all the poor manager appointments it would be no surprise to me if he considered Moyes. The poll relates to his whole tenure. As I said for the money he earns it is not an apprenticeship to learn the job by trial and error.

So there really is no winning here huh.

First 10 years laid the foundation for the following 5-6, but that doesn't fit the narrative.

How many managers have been a success?

I think JOL was, and would have been a top manager if we had backed him and stuck with him. Too finish 5th twice with the budget he had was brilliant management. Harry was out of desperation but worked out well on the footballing side of things but he wasn't the model Levy wanted. Poch is the only manager that has ticked all the boxes in nearly two decades.

As EX has said he has been badly advised over the years. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes.

On his money he shouldn't need advice. The other factor as you mention RD is getting rid of some managers. Jol, AVB, Harry, Sherwood all had pretty good record's. I was ok with Harry going but the others I had nothing against.

Real Deal - 9/11/2017 12:49

I think JOL was, and would have been a top manager if we had backed him and stuck with him. Too finish 5th twice with the budget he had was brilliant management. Harry was out of desperation but worked out well on the footballing side of things but he wasn't the model Levy wanted. Poch is the only manager that has ticked all the boxes in nearly two decades.

As EX has said he has been badly advised over the years. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes.

Or Pleat's mistakes.

Most chairman are crap at appointing managers until they find the right one. We have got the right one.

Even with all the due diligence and great records/history, you have no idea how a manager will perform until he's challenged in the new role. This will then only give you an idea, not a direct reflection on if he will succeeed.
I recently hired a highly decorated manager, with flawless references. He proved to be a phycopath! Am I a bad judge of character? Perhaps, but saying a chairman can't appoint good managers , holds no water.

You'll get there eventually, as Levy did with Poch.

New stadium, new sponsor deal, CL football, finishing 2nd last year and having the pundits drool at our stylish play, let alone having one of the most valuable teams on the planet that cost the price of a Mars bar......yes, I'm good with Levy.

80deg16minW - 9/11/2017 19:03

Or Pleat's mistakes.

How much influence has Pleat had in recent years? I know he is in the back ground but would Levy be taking advice from Pleat over appointing managers like AVB, Ramos?

I thought it was more of a matey set up and he suggested the odd player here and there.

Real Deal - 10/11/2017 12:46

80deg16minW - 9/11/2017 19:03

Or Pleat's mistakes.

How much influence has Pleat had in recent years? I know he is in the back ground but would Levy be taking advice from Pleat over appointing managers like AVB, Ramos?

I thought it was more of a matey set up and he suggested the odd player here and there.

Don't forget in recent years he was our overseas head of scouting - Vert was one of the diamonds he fought tooth and nail for Harry to sign, and along with Sherwood drove Levy nuts to get Eriksen...

So he was listened to on many levels, but obviously his influence waned when we had foreign DoF who would recommend managers/coaches..

Didn't he also push the Dele deal through?

One thing's for certain. He hated AVB and deliberately went about destroying his credibility.