D Day. | Vital Football

D Day.

Wurzel

Vital Football Legend
70 years ago today young men gave their lives for the freedom of Europe from tyranny. We should always remember their sacrifice.

Been watching the lead up to this all week and listening to the stories of the veterans it was an absolutely fantastically brave assault on mainland France the whole mission was brilliantly executed.The tragic thing about it was about 4,500 allied forces lost their lives on the beach mostly 18-20 year olds.

LEST WE FORGET

They was our hero's and saviour's without them fighting for this country we would not be able to be debating football or moaning about idiot drivers out there, we owe our way of living to them hero's, for which i will and my kids and family be ever greatful

Yep , when I see the old soldiers who were there I get very emotional god knows what they went through.

My Uncle lost a leg at Dunkirk , I think he was 19 at the time , he never collected any medals or talked about what he saw to anyone.

After he died a couple of years ago his daughter sent away for the medals and got them mounted in a frame.

Such a shame when you here about some veterans who never managed to get over their experiences and lived a solitary life probably suffering from post traumatic stress which was never recognised in them days having to sell their medals just to make ends meet.

:1: :1: :1:

We simply are not worthy. The sacrifices these people made should never be forgotten.

Been watching all day before coming to work tonight. It brought a lump to my throat. I never cease to be moved by the old cine footage when you see them charging up the beach and some of them just fall down as they are cut down in a hail of bullets, and you realise this isn't just some fictional storyline but real lives. Every fallen hero is somebody's father or son or brother. I thought it very poignant that one guy said he didn't consider himself a hero but in his opinion the real heroes could be found with a white stone above them in the graveyards. This year marks the last one for the War Veterans Association. I would love to see these kept going long after the last of these great men have passed on. I think it is imperative that the life sacrifice that all those young men gave in order that we live free today should never ever be lost and that the countless generations to come, even after we ourselves have gone, should remember the 2 great world wars of the 20th Century and the millions of lives needlessly wasted on all sides both military and civilian by the folly of madmen and war mongers that changed our world forever. As they say - Lest We Forget"

Amen to all of the above.

We should also remember the French Resistance who,often at great personal cost,sabotaged and defied the Germans so much that attempts by the Germans to reinforce their coastal areas were thwarted thereby allowing the Allies to gain the foothold needed.

It is as someone else said-watching all the footage it is difficult to believe that it actually all happened and not just the product of a film-maker's imagination. Never forgotten

I went to Normandy a few years ago and stayed at Colville Sur Mer. I visited the American Cemetary which is just up the road from the farm we stayed at. Walking between those 9000 plus graves is a moving experience.
When you stand next to the German machine gun pits on the bluffs overlooking the beach you realise what bloody murder it must have been. Brave boys.

Been watching the D Day stuff on BBC while Vital has been down again.

Two things.....

1/ Only the BBC could cover that and give it the due respect it deserves.

2/ The bravery of those young guys was total. What I respect is the guys survivors who attended were so unabashed. They say we did our duty. The heroes were the ones who laid their lives on the line, the ones that never came back.

When you look at it, it's amazing what they did for freedom and to defeat the tyranny they faced. I had tears in my eyes on a number of occasions again today.

The fly over by the Lancaster, the Spitfires and the Dakota was awesome, words actually fail me......

They will never be forgotten.

I do admit to having the odd tear watching the days events.

Mind you that must be nothing compared to the thoughts and emotions going around in those brave men's heads.

Thank you to each and everyone of you :1: :1: :1:

These pictures are very good, well worth viewing.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/d-day-landing-sites-then-now-normandy-beaches-1944-70-years-later-1450286