Could you support a United Sheffield? | Vital Football

Could you support a United Sheffield?

Honestly can't see how it would work as merged clubs. I definatley wouldn't back it and would go watch Sheffield FC or even Matlock town. To much rivalry to join together.

It was just an opinionated piece after my work colleagues (I think they were bored) asked me the question. The same can be said for any club. Imagine the two Manchester clubs merging - they would be a powerhouse but like United and Wednesday it wouldn't happen. There have been talks in the past and quickly protested by fans.

No.

But I would consider a brand new ground, with excelelnt access and parking. I love BL but, in truth, the only thing the same as when I started is the location.

Your always going to get that at inner-city stadiums. Parking around the ground is virtually impossible. I'm on a facebook stadiums group and they constantly complain about identi-kit stadiums (Chesterfield, Shrewsbury and Colchester. New grounds but all the same) and soulless bowls (Southampton, Leicester etc) - they love character which is what BL has. And as the oldest stadium in the world, why would you extinct that heritage just for easy access to a stadium?

BM, it on the oldest site but the stadium is newish, the BL stand being
the oldest bit of it in the late 60's.
If you ask a Leicester fan (and I have) they are happy in their new ground and with the great history it has :)

If we were going to merge our club, the last club I'd want to merge with is the oinkers. The whole ethos of club and fans is the antithesis of us. I'd rather merge with Rotherham and become the South Yorkshire Strollers, or something.

I wouldn't want to ground-share with them either. Imagine the smell...

No.

But I would consider a brand new ground, with excelelnt access and parking. I love BL but, in truth, the only thing the same as when I started is the location.
By the time Sheffield Council and it's planners had perused and nit-picked at the plans , it wouldn't be easy access and have student accommodation and a retail park in place of 1500 parking spaces.
Stick with BDTBL.

I could maybe support it with the following conditions:

1) The new team plays at Bramall Lane, which is the historic football ground in the city and has been home to both clubs before.
2) The new team has the nickname "Blades", as it is linked to Sheffield's past and both teams have used it before.
3) The team name is a combination of the current names: "Sheffield" from their name and "United" from ours.
4) The home kit is a combination of the current ones: red stripes from our shirts and white stripes from theirs.
5) None of their owners, board members, management staff or fans will be associated with the new club.
6) All of their current playing staff are immediately sold to fund a promotion push (except maybe Lucas Joao...)

Even then, I'd be inclined to say no!