Change of style under Clemence in the New Year? | Vital Football

Change of style under Clemence in the New Year?

SteveTreacle

Vital 1st Team Regular
I alluded to this in the Wrexham thread but think it’s worth having its own thread. I am of the view that in the New Year, Clemence has employed a lot more pragmatic and direct style. Still not as direct as Harris, creating more chances and scoring more, but also shipping more than NH, but definitely a different style to his first month or so in charge. This view is from my memory/recollection having seen all (I think) of Clemence’s matches in the flesh or on ifollow with a cursory glance at the stats.

Wrexham itself is a good example. At their place, we had significantly more possession, yet created little and were well beaten. At home, the possession stats were reversed, but we deservedly won and, it’s not as if Parkinson is known for possession football, so it’s a sign of a change of style from Clem.

Similarly, Notts, Swindon and MK all had significantly more possession and we beat Notts well, should have and deserved to get at least a point at MK and dominated the game for 70 mins and, as much as we could have lost v Swindon, we had the chances and ultimately should have hung on to win. Stockport too - they had easily more possession and despite we were drab going forward, they only had one shot on target and we deserved our 0-0 (certainly no more).

Wind back and we dominated possession in December against Bradford and Crawley and were well beaten against two physical teams.
Similarly against Tranmere, we dominated possession and all stats and were well beaten.

I dare say there are exceptions and will be exceptions to come, but we have definitely toughened up and aren’t getting outdone physically now and going more direct, which isn’t to say that we’re pumping everything long.

If true, I think pragmatic is the correct word and we are all the better for it IMO.

I was really worried when I watched the complete first half of the early Tranmere game when it was available on ifollow. It was like watching the worst of a Russell Martin team. Passing, passing and passing again, all in front of the opposition and getting precisely nowhere. Tranmere then cut us open three times and won easily.

When I actually attended the Colchester away game in January, I was far more encouraged. I was not sure about the playing out from the goalkeeper, again not hurting the opposition, but we improved in the second half and after Malone scored it was quite clear that the defenders were no longer making themselves available to Turner. We went more direct and began to look more secure as well as threatening for it.

I was always all for playing 3-5-2 and getting better wing backs and wingers to get behind the defence and provide better delivery for Hawkins and others but, as you have pointed out Steve, the possession (or passing for the sake of it) game is really not suited to League Two.

To be fair to Clem, he is showing he is adaptable and pragmatic which is a really good sign IMHO.

To be fair to Clem, he is showing he is adaptable and pragmatic which is a really good sign IMHO.
I guess he’s learning on the job and adapting, which is positive. I think reverting to 3 CBs and two more advanced WBs and Hawkins’ return along with playing two up top has changed our style of play and meant there are fewer bodies and it’s less easy to pass sideways. Definitely more direct stuff, but it is generally targeted to Hawkins with a plan rather than just hoofed.

I guess he’s learning on the job and adapting, which is positive. I think reverting to 3 CBs and two more advanced WBs and Hawkins’ return along with playing two up top has changed our style of play and meant there are fewer bodies and it’s less easy to pass sideways. Definitely more direct stuff, but it is generally targeted to Hawkins with a plan rather than just hoofed.

Agreed, Clemence has mentioned in a couple of press conferences that he isn't afraid to go direct but it's being well worked rather than just pumped up the pitch as you say. I think Clemence will stick with Nadesan up top with Oli for this reason, he has pace and a physical presence that benefits the team imo, pace in the final third means more fouls by the opposition and an opportunity to threaten from set pieces, something we're very good at.

Wrexham itself is a good example. At their place, we had significantly more possession, yet created little and were well beaten.

I wouldn’t read too much into possession stats vs Wrexham. In the first game they were ahead after mere seconds so probably happy for us to have the ball (given we’d likely do fuck all with it). If they were the team looking to score they’d have probably had a lot more possession.

But agree, overall we are playing more direct. The big change is the 3-5-2 formation allied with the fact Hawkins is now available. Just having Hutton instead of Alexander makes us more direct down the right.

Clemence has never liked possession for possession’s sake and the 4231 formation does lend itself to falling into that trap.